Priced a new battery for the old pickup.

Fine, but:
Updated, March 24, 2019 by contributing editors. "Search America 1st"
Always verify USA Origin

Automobile Battery, Commercial Truck Battery, Automotive Batteries, Small Engine / Lawn Mower Battery​

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States.

AC Delco seems good. Titan now best overall.

Congratulations... Grumblenuts ...
I am quite sure you have forgot more about batteries than I ever knew... :thup:

I have lived in warm climates...
I have lived in cold climates...
Batteries like warm climates a whole shitload better than cold climates...
Constant heat will kill a battery long before cold will, unless they freeze and explode. In Illinois batteries last a average of 3 1/2 years, in Florida it is 2 years.

Constant heat will kill a battery long before cold will, unless they freeze and explode. In Illinois batteries last a average of 3 1/2 years, in Florida it is 2 years.
Technically I can't say what is worse, heat or cold... Living in Hawaii for as many years as I have, little over 15 years but not consecutively, I don't think it gets hotter here than Florida... That being said the weather can be miserable in the Midwest... I sacrificed myself in my yute in several clover and alpha fields in Indiana and Illinois baling small bales of hay... Second and third cuttings are a son-of-a-bitch... But I digress...
In my almost 68 years of experience cold weather has been harder on my batteries than heat...

$54 for the Walmart Value line... 650 CCA - 1 year warranty

$99 for the Plus line... 720 CCA - 2 year warranty.

I usually just buy the cheapest EveryStart... but I was wondering if there was a real difference worth twice the price between the two.

Read this... have no idea who wrote it...but interesting if true...

I've been using the El Cheapo for as long as I can remember.

The one I'm replacing says I installed it January of 2019... and it still starts the truck... but it's getting weak.

So that's three years and a couple of month... which doesn't seem too bad to me for 48 bucks at the time.

What's been your experience or opinion.

You get what you pay for?

Or sometimes less is more?
I've used the 54 dollar batteries from walmart and have one going on 4 years and one going on two. They are good.

Most of the places I have ever lived in cold climates were garageless... And none of the barns I had was heated... Most batteries I ever had to jump, it was colder than a crik rock and I had gloves on and not Bermuda shorts...

I've had to replace three batteries over the last 4 years in my Tundra.
While I dont drive it often due to my hip surgery it's starting to get ridiculous.
You cant let the truck sit for more than a month or the battery dies. There has to be some parasitic draw from something.
Unhook the negative post.

Many years ago I owned a Pontiac with a 350 diesel engine that had an engine block heater that I always kept plugged in at night during the winter.
I got called into work late at night during a cold snap and didn't have any where to plug in the engine block heater. After work the two batteries; my diesel car had two under the hood; couldn't start the ice cold diesel engine and quickly were drained of power.
A couple of days later when it warmed up. I tried to jump start the two batteries but the freezing weather had killed them both.

$54 for the Walmart Value line... 650 CCA - 1 year warranty

$99 for the Plus line... 720 CCA - 2 year warranty.

I usually just buy the cheapest EveryStart... but I was wondering if there was a real difference worth twice the price between the two.

Read this... have no idea who wrote it...but interesting if true...

I've been using the El Cheapo for as long as I can remember.

The one I'm replacing says I installed it January of 2019... and it still starts the truck... but it's getting weak.

So that's three years and a couple of month... which doesn't seem too bad to me for 48 bucks at the time.

What's been your experience or opinion.

You get what you pay for?

Or sometimes less is more?

Walmart batteries are fine. A Value-Power cranks over my Cadillac with no issues...and that car is tough on batteries, cranking a giant (542ci/9L) engine, through long, hot cables, in a brutally hot engine compartment. My wife's Blazer has two Value-Power batteries (it's diesel), they fire it up cold easily.

If you only get three years, check your charging system.

Technically I can't say what is worse, heat or cold... Living in Hawaii for as many years as I have, little over 15 years but not consecutively, I don't think it gets hotter here than Florida... That being said the weather can be miserable in the Midwest... I sacrificed myself in my yute in several clover and alpha fields in Indiana and Illinois baling small bales of hay... Second and third cuttings are a son-of-a-bitch... But I digress...
In my almost 68 years of experience cold weather has been harder on my batteries than heat...

Cold is harder, in the sense that extreme cold might pull down a marginal battery to the point it won't start a cold-soaked engine. (Especially in the days of carburetors, long crank times, and high-draw starters.) A marginal battery will crank a car fine in the heat...until it just won't hold a charge. The battery in my Challenger (original, 8+ years) was basically shot, making about half the rated cranking amps...but the car fired up easily. In an older car that required more or faster cold cranking, it probably would have failed.

Many years ago I owned a Pontiac with a 350 diesel engine that had an engine block heater that I always kept plugged in at night during the winter.
I got called into work late at night during a cold snap and didn't have any where to plug in the engine block heater. After work the two batteries; my diesel car had two under the hood; couldn't start the ice cold diesel engine and quickly were drained of power.
A couple of days later when it warmed up. I tried to jump start the two batteries but the freezing weather had killed them both.
[/QUOTE
You had something wrong. My wife fires a cold-soaked diesel every day in the winter. It gets 2-3 hours on the heater at home, but not when she's working...run the glow plugs twice (the controller short-cycles them, it's the wrong one) and it fires up easily.

Forum List

Back