Preventing Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes

Stann

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2021
We recently had a healthy young high school football player in our area just drop dead on the field. It was devastating to the entire community. Was it preventable.? Are we doing enough to make sure these children are protected from their exploits ? What more can be done ? National Center for Biotechnology Information >PMC Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes-NCBI I looked at all the data. It's rare, thank GOD. The kid that died in our area that died was born 2 months premature, I'm wondering if he had a congenital heart defect that wasn't detected. Maybe that's one area the correlate to death with who was born prematurely. If the data suggests that, then it only follows logically that they should be examined more thoroughly to make sure it's not a possibility of this happening to them. Just a thought. I tried to look up to see if there were any coordinated studies that look into this I couldn't find one. Anyone know out there ? Any other ideas how to curb this ?, it is on the increase.

It is rare but in my memory it happens most often among basketball players. You'd have to believe there is some congenital defect that was not detected. Maybe cardio tests are advanced enough now to determine if a player is at high risk. Yes it is so tragic, every time it happens. But it's been happening for many many years.

It is rare but in my memory it happens most often among basketball players. You'd have to believe there is some congenital defect that was not detected. Maybe cardio tests are advanced enough now to determine if a player is at high risk. Yes it is so tragic, every time it happens. But it's been happening for many many years.
Good idea, more cardiac testing. Thanks again.

Student athletes have to go through concussion protocols at the beginning of each season, but so far no cardiac scans.
Maybe it's time has come. Even if it's just those bracelets that track cardiac activity. It would be a beginning.

We recently had a healthy young high school football player in our area just drop dead on the field. It was devastating to the entire community. Was it preventable.? Are we doing enough to make sure these children are protected from their exploits ? What more can be done ? National Center for Biotechnology Information >PMC Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes-NCBI I looked at all the data. It's rare, thank GOD. The kid that died in our area that died was born 2 months premature, I'm wondering if he had a congenital heart defect that wasn't detected. Maybe that's one area the correlate to death with who was born prematurely. If the data suggests that, then it only follows logically that they should be examined more thoroughly to make sure it's not a possibility of this happening to them. Just a thought. I tried to look up to see if there were any coordinated studies that look into this I couldn't find one. Anyone know out there ? Any other ideas how to curb this ?, it is on the increase.
The mother of my first child died from an undiagnosed congenital heart defect. Then I was a single dad with a 6 month old baby when I was only 18.

I really wish my eldest daughter could have grown up knowing her biological mother. She was awesome.

The mother of my first child died from an undiagnosed congenital heart defect. Then I was a single dad with a 6 month old baby when I was only 18.

I really wish my eldest daughter could have grown up knowing her biological mother. She was awesome.
Sounds like your life has been quite a journey. If a person has one great love in their life I think they're lucky. You sound like you've had several great loves. Cherish what you have. Thanks for sharing an important part of your story.

There are literally tens of thousands of pathologies that can cause death in humans... nearly half of those auto-immune, our own bodies turning ourselves.

Without an EXACT cause of death, there is no reason to believe that his death is any more related to his occupation to an athlete than it is to a thousand other undiagnosed pathologies.

That is the problem with mixing politics and science. Politics is the business of acting emotionally on a perceived concern with little or no actually information on the actual causes of the concern. When people are afraid, something MUST be done, regardless of the unintended consequences.

While science is the slow, methodical, exacting, and unemotional search for facts ... regardless of where they lead.

Where science and politics exist in the same space, science is always corrupted.

There are literally tens of thousands of pathologies that can cause death in humans... nearly half of those auto-immune, our own bodies turning ourselves.

Without an EXACT cause of death, there is no reason to believe that his death is any more related to his occupation to an athlete than it is to a thousand other undiagnosed pathologies.

That is the problem with mixing politics and science. Politics is the business of acting emotionally on a perceived concern with little or no actually information on the actual causes of the concern. When people are afraid, something MUST be done, regardless of the unintended consequences.

While science is the slow, methodical, exacting, and unemotional search for facts ... regardless of where they lead.

Where science and politics exist in the same space, science is always corrupted.
You are the first one to bring politics into play here. I agree there's no place for politics on this thread.

Forum List

Back