Press Corps walk out of Downing St in protest over exclusion of some journalists

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Journalists walk out of No 10 after bid to impose selective briefing of Boris Johnson's Brexit plans

Journalists walked out of a Downing Street briefing on Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans after the prime minister’s director of communications tried to restrict it to selected publications and broadcasters.

Among those boycotting the briefing were the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg and ITV’s Robert Peston.

Labour accused the prime minister of adopting the tactics of US president Donald Trump, who regularly excludes reporters who he regards as hostile.

Wow, even the BBC walked out. Seismic. Lets hope that this is the end of this type of nonsense.

If they continue to place their ideology over truth and fair news reporting they will continue to be excluded....and trying to get the people to care will be a wasted effort....get back to the truth and even handed reporting media....

Journalists walk out of No 10 after bid to impose selective briefing of Boris Johnson's Brexit plans

Journalists walked out of a Downing Street briefing on Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans after the prime minister’s director of communications tried to restrict it to selected publications and broadcasters.

Among those boycotting the briefing were the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg and ITV’s Robert Peston.

Labour accused the prime minister of adopting the tactics of US president Donald Trump, who regularly excludes reporters who he regards as hostile.

Wow, even the BBC walked out. Seismic. Lets hope that this is the end of this type of nonsense.
I'm really developing a deep abiding respect for Boris, first he gives the EU an FU and now the media gets the finger, and really, this is good news not bad...LET FREEDOM RING.

"All of the correspondents refused to take part in the event on those terms and left No 10."

I have been waiting for any such sign of journalistic spine, ethics, and integrity among American counterparts since Trump shat on the press in the same way BoJo just did. Hooray for the British press! This is heartening. They have distinguished themselves. Say, Tom, could you send a few of yours over to teach some of the goofs in the U.S. a lesson or two?

I'm really developing a deep abiding respect for Boris, first he gives the EU an FU and now the media gets the finger, and really, this is good news not bad...LET FREEDOM RING.

You won't let freedom ring if you pick and choose media for only favorable coverage.

You won't let freedom ring if you pick and choose media for only favorable coverage.
And again with the rewording of responses so it fits what you wish was said instead of what was actually said...the good news is that the media decided for itself to leave, freeing the nation from the shackles of filtered messages that come out the way your posts do...as a complete misrepresentation of what was actually said to fit a narrative that otherwise does not work.

Last edited:
And again with the rewording of responses so it fits what you wish was said instead of what was actually said...the good news is that the media decided for itself to leave freeing the nation from the shackles of filtered messages that come out the way your posts do...as a complete misrepresentation of what was actually said to fit a narrative that otherwise does not work.

And again.

If you pick and choose what media can cover political events to a subset of "favorable" sources - you won't have freedom.

Your response was simple and unambiguous. Nothing to "reword" - what read as a simple endorsement of Boris' policies towards the media. If you meant other than what you wrote - you should have expressed it.

Who cares?

Your response was simple and unambiguous. Nothing to "reword" - what read as a simple endorsement of Boris' policies towards the media. If you meant other than what you wrote - you should have expressed it.
and like with everything else involving the left, the need to pretend that the easiest to understand explanation need be explained..
the quote is metaphorical/euphemistic, do you understand what that means? I am trusting the recipient to understand what is being said, [making the actual words unnecessary] in this case, the media chose to leave and it's no skin off my nose [just in case, that is also a euphemism for "I do not believe the media making that choice for themselves is a bad thing"..and not saying that I am really pretending you or anyone else "was trying to peel my nose "] was intended to show they are not the reason for our freedom, but instead they are the ones who think they decide who gets to enjoy favorable coverage and those who do not...WHEW!

Last edited:

A lying press mutes the bell.

At least conservatives are consistent in their authoritarianism, contempt for dissent, and disdain of a free press.

"All of the correspondents refused to take part in the event on those terms and left No 10."

I have been waiting for any such sign of journalistic spine, ethics, and integrity among American counterparts since Trump shat on the press in the same way BoJo just did. Hooray for the British press! This is heartening. They have distinguished themselves. Say, Tom, could you send a few of yours over to teach some of the goofs in the U.S. a lesson or two?
Even the Daily Heil walked out. The Daily fucking Heil.!!!!

Its a bit worse than was reported . The briefing was supposed to be by a high ranking Civil Servant. Jonson was using public servants to push a political agenda.It would be good if the US press grew a spine but I suspect that collective action is considered communism in the land of the free press.

Its a bit worse than was reported . The briefing was supposed to be by a high ranking Civil Servant. Jonson was using public servants to push a political agenda.It would be good if the US press grew a spine but I suspect that collective action is considered communism in the land of the free press.
Oh please! The Daily Fail had to walk out in a pathetic attempt to try to present some minimal semblance of "integrity" and "solidarity". You can imagine the exchange of emails later..."WTF you playing at, we had your back and you pull a stupid stunt like this!!! Remember who your friends are you idiots!"

Oh please! The Daily Fail had to walk out in a pathetic attempt to try to present some minimal semblance of "integrity" and "solidarity". You can imagine the exchange of emails later..."WTF you playing at, we had your back and you pull a stupid stunt like this!!! Remember who your friends are you idiots!"
Oh come on.........................give them a pat when they do the right thing.

So what? It may well have played out as you suggest, but still: The fact they had to walk out or otherwise face the derision of all others, and the attendant dishonor, tells a story of a media environment - and maybe even a way more astute citizenry - infinitely superior to the spineless cowards elsewhere. I take, they were forced to "to present some minimal semblance of 'integrity' and 'solidarity'", every day of the week over no hint, no shred of pride, integrity, solidarity, or honor, for that matter.

Interesting take: AAV

Johnson and Cummings conduct a savage ideological purge of the Tory ranks to root out the few remaining liberal 'one nation' Tories.

⚫️ Mainstream media: Hooray and good riddance!

Johnson and Cummings launch ideological attacks on the impartial civil service:

⚫️ Mainstream media: Hooray, and about time too!

Johnson and Cummings set about vandalising the independence of the judiciary.

⚫️ Mainstream media: Hooray, because judges are the 'enemies of the people' after all aren't they?

Johnson and Cummings attack the free press.

⚫️ Mainstream media: This is dreadful, but how could we possibly have seen anything like this coming?

and like with everything else involving the left, the need to pretend that the easiest to understand explanation need be explained..
the quote is metaphorical/euphemistic, do you understand what that means? I am trusting the recipient to understand what is being said, [making the actual words unnecessary] in this case, the media chose to leave and it's no skin off my nose [just in case, that is also a euphemism for "I do not believe the media making that choice for themselves is a bad thing"..and not saying that I am really pretending you or anyone else "was trying to peel my nose "] was intended to show they are not the reason for our freedom, but instead they are the ones who think they decide who gets to enjoy favorable coverage and those who do not...WHEW!

The media is one of the reasons for our freedom. It's a watchdog against government excess. We have thousands of choices to choose from.

If you don't think so, move to countries that have little to know media freedom and see how free you are. Typically individual freedom goes down when media freedom goes down.

The media is one of the reasons for our freedom. It's a watchdog against government excess.

The bulk of media these days - both news and entertainment - is in the employ of political, corporate and global entities. We have very little free press.

One can only hope that it's enough. I have my doubts.

The media is one of the reasons for our freedom. It's a watchdog against government excess.

The bulk of media these days - both news and entertainment - is in the employ of political, corporate and global entities. We have very little free press.

One can only hope that it's enough. I have my doubts.
Your media is free in that there is nothing to stop like minded people setting up their own media. To say that your media isnt free because you dont like the headlines is absurd.

Forum List

Back