Prayer for Ryan Newman

Did he win?

Damn...he had that one too!

Sucks.

Oh well there is always next time.
No, Hamlin won his second in a row, third overall.

Exciting finish if Ryan comes out okay.
Hamlin caused the crash it looks like when he nudged him from behind, but I'm no expert on NASCAR rules about cars bumping each other.

Did he win?

Sucks.

Hamlin caused the crash it looks like when he nudged him from behind, but I'm no expert on NASCAR rules about cars bumping each other.

It wasn't Hamlin. Hamlin was in the white #11. Newman was bumped by Ryan Blaney in the yellow/blue #12 who was bump-drafting him into the lead.

In this video

at 1:02, you can clearly see the damage done to the drivers' side door when Corey LaJoie rammed into him when he was upside down.

That video has some remarkable images. All of them a bit frightening.

We get so used to seeing the drivers climb out of these horrific crashes. A testament to the safety program of NASCAR.

IFJmR7ny

Thankfully he survived for his girls' sake
"Ryan Newman remains under the care of doctors at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida. He is awake and speaking with family and doctors." - Roush Fenway Racing reported

Did he win?

Sucks.

Rubbin's racin...well...it used to be...NASCAR has gone gayer than AIDS over the last 20 years.

Mike Bianchi: Ryan Newman's toughness reinforces why we should all watch more NASCAR

Watch more NASCAR.

Turn on the TV Sunday at 3:30 p.m. and watch the race out in Vegas. And the week after that, watch ’em run SoCal. And the week after that, they’ll be in Phoenix.

Watch them. Applaud them. Admire them.

These awesome, audacious athletes deserve your attention and your eyeballs.

And, yes, I said “athletes.” I hope seeing Newman walk out of the hospital with his pair of adorable young daughters in tow just two days after his unnerving crash that you now realize how courageous, skilled and incredibly tough these athletes are. Anybody who continues to denigrate NASCAR drivers by saying “all they have to do is get behind the wheel and turn left” is just being an intentional knucklehead.

As Ernest Hemingway once so eloquently wrote, “Only bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing are sports; the rest are merely games.”

Hunter S. Thompson once explained the mentality of race car drivers when he wrote, “Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”

Forum List

Back