Poverty Nonsense

culture of poverty?

my parents and grandparents, aunts, uncles etc lived through the depression and did not steal.

You are making excuses for immorality.

No one is excusing crime. We are offering solutions to mitigate it, fool!

name one solution you have offered

The solution is to stop putting the cart before the horse and realizing that crime does not cause poverty (except for the victims), and that poverty causes a lot of crime.

Any problem cannot be solved until you properly identify the causes.

The opening post misidentified the causes of crime AND poverty.

Indeed! Who commits more violent crime, rich or poor?

And correlation often does imply causation. Just not always.

But in this case, it does.

You got hoist by your own petard. You said if poverty caused crime, crime would have jumped during the Depression. I showed you it did and now you are backpedaling like crazy. :lol:

I'm not " backpedaling " at all.

I would say that low IQ , immorality and shiftlessness is more of a cause of poverty.

I'll not waver from that.

In the face of your posts, I find it highly ironic you called me illogical.

really?

if poverty caused crime all poor people would be criminals

No one is excusing crime. We are offering solutions to mitigate it, fool!

name one solution you have offered

The solution is to stop putting the cart before the horse and realizing that crime does not cause poverty (except for the victims), and that poverty causes a lot of crime.

Any problem cannot be solved until you properly identify the causes.

The opening post misidentified the causes of crime AND poverty.

you stated that poverty caused crime.

Prove it

It's easier for some to make it a racial issue, rather than attempting to examine the culture of poverty.

culture of poverty?

my parents and grandparents, aunts, uncles etc lived through the depression and did not steal.

I remember my mother telling me about an incident on their old farm during the great depression. They were all eating a meal in the dinning room when they heard a noise in the kitchen. When they went to investigate, someone had stolen some of their food. My grandfather just said "Well, they probably needed it more than we do," and left it at that. He lost that farm during the great depression and he still recognized that some people needed to resort to crime just to eat. Poor people aren't all thieves but it's a lot easier to be honest when you aren't hungry. I believe that's one of the reasons our food stamp program has expanded so much recently. We have thousands if not millions of people in this country right now that need help just to get enough to eat and I'm not talking about just the homeless either, there are working people that need help putting food on the table. That's a pretty sad statement for the richest country in the world. No way our income gap should be so big.

Yes, like that lady who tried to buy two damn ipads with her food stamps. I feel so damn sorry for her, don't ewe?

culture of poverty?

I remember my mother telling me about an incident on their old farm during the great depression. They were all eating a meal in the dinning room when they heard a noise in the kitchen. When they went to investigate, someone had stolen some of their food. My grandfather just said "Well, they probably needed it more than we do," and left it at that. He lost that farm during the great depression and he still recognized that some people needed to resort to crime just to eat. Poor people aren't all thieves but it's a lot easier to be honest when you aren't hungry. I believe that's one of the reasons our food stamp program has expanded so much recently. We have thousands if not millions of people in this country right now that need help just to get enough to eat and I'm not talking about just the homeless either, there are working people that need help putting food on the table. That's a pretty sad statement for the richest country in the world. No way our income gap should be so big.

Yes, like that lady who tried to buy two damn ipads with her food stamps. I feel so damn sorry for her, don't ewe?

I actually read the OP

Poor decisions are part of the cause.What causes poor decisions?

Low IQ
shiftlessness
immorality
selfisness

Who is to blame?
Society?

When our poor can afford iPads, cell phones, cable TV, cars and a host of other luxuries there is no legitimate need to steal much less rape and murder.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Forum List

Back