Possible Naval war breaks out

Calm down ! .......the N. Koreans lost one of their mines by accident and it hit the S. Korean Navy .....it was only an accident ! Settle down ...its over.

Hey! Don't say that! The rightwing warmongers aren't finished jerking off yet!

Got a link to support this claim? As far as I've heard it's still under investigation.

If it was an act of aggression, who wants to make a wager on what our esteemed President's response will be?

Rick

If he has any good sense he'll say "Sounds like a Korean problem to me."

sounds like another tonkin gulf "attack" done by "bad" people....

Just guessing here: probably a mine that was either deliberately placed there or that floated away. Not surprising that the North would either make a direct claim or throw in some nebulous rhetoric (i.e. "this is what happens to people who violate our borders...blah, blah, blah").

As for a war between the two Koreas (assuming China stays out of it), the South would clean house. No doubt in my military mind that the ROK Army is far superior to the DPRK Army in terms of personnel, equipment, training, tactics and will to win. Chinese involvement isn't based on any "loyalty" to North Korea. The Chinese have been hoping that North Korea would just wither and blow away. Instead, it's the proximity to its own borders that concerns the Chinese. But they don't want a war. It's not a matter of fearing US reprisals. The Chinese are a hell of a lot more pragmatic than that. They clearly understand the complexities of war and how a war on the Korean Peninsula will interfere with their greater plan for economic expansion. They won't turn their backs on North Korea but they certainly don't want to get dragged into a fight.

:eusa_eh:

Seoul, March 27 (Xinhua) -- A South Korean naval vessel with 104 crew members onboard sank into waters off the west coast of the Korean peninsula late Friday due to an unknown cause, alarming the nation that anxiously watched the overnight rescue process of what is called one of the biggest tragedies of the country's naval history.

WARSHIP SINKS

The patrol ship, named Cheonan, sank near the country's northernmost island of Baekryeong after an unidentified explosion in the back of the ship made a hole in the bottom of it, local media reported citing military officials. Another South Korean naval ship fired at an unspecified object northward in a following action.

President Lee Myung-bak held a second consecutive emergency meeting with security officials early Saturday, following a late- night emergency meeting convened immediately after the news hit home.

"The President instructed the Armed Forces authorities to do all they can to rescue as many survivors as possible. At the same time, he said the authorities concerned should find out what exactly transpired in the incident in a speedy and thorough manner, considering all possibilities," presidential office Cheong Wa Dae spokeswoman Kim Eun-hye told reporters earlier in the day.

As the coast guard is put on the highest alert, all public officers in the country are also put on standby during the weekend at an instruction of Prime Minister Chung Un-chan for possible emergency situations in the wake of the incident.
S Korean warship sinks, rescue efforts continue while 46 missing

Forum List

Back