Porsche working on ultrafast charging system, invites Tesla and Mercedes

abu afak

ALLAH SNACKBAR!
Mar 3, 2006
About a year ago, Porsche made it clear they were gunning for Electric car Rock-Star status, not bowing to Tesla.
Porsche takes aim at Tesla with new 300-mile range Mission E
(Nice looking car)
Now they're inviting the whole industry into a standardization project that will make adoption easier.

By Bruce Brown
Digital Trends – 17 hours ago

Railroads did not have great success until the major lines agreed to a standard rail gauge. Electric car companies will need universal access to standardized charging systems. In that light, it is no surprise that Porsche wants to work with Tesla, Mercedes-Benz, and other manufacturers and suppliers in developing an ultrafast charging infrastructure, according to Electrek and Top Gear.

If Porsche wanted to keep it all in the family, in this case meaning shared only with other members of the Volkswagen Group, that would be shortsighted. The company could focus on a standard usable only by Porsche’s Mission E, Audi’s e-tron quattro, and the new Volkswagen I.D. concept car as well as other all-electric vehicles that will be debuting from Volkswagen Group members during the next five to 10 years. But limiting its charging systems to house brand cars would be self-defeating. It would be the equivalent of requiring that your gas engine cars run on a fuel that customers could only buy from your fueling stations. No one does that.

Porsche CEO Oliver Blume told Top Gear, “We are in contact with other manufacturers and suppliers around the world to build a fast-charging network. Everybody has the same need. It sounds easy but getting the details agreed is hard. We already have the clear technical concept. It can even work with Teslas, with an adapter.”
When Top Gear spoke with Mercedes head Dieter Zetsche about Porsche’s charging network, he said, “We are in talks with them.”

Porsche’s 800-volt charging system is almost Twice as fast as Tesla’s 450-volt Superchargers, but Tesla has been open about letting other companies use its network, currently the largest in the world."..."​
+

I addressed this years ago suggesting that Charging Problems for travel can be solved with infrastructures tailored towards typical long distant driving stops.
In other words all motels, rest stops, and food stops along the HWY need to have charging stations before people will even consider Electric cars. Between quick charge stations at gas stops, overnight charges at motels, and 1 hour charges at food stops there should be enough charge for long distant travels and or emergency daily travel charges.
There's also selfcharging ideas I came up with, but that is up to the industry to approach me with offers for those solutions and or consulting services.

Forum List

Back