POLL: Open the economy up and go back to work - Stay home and shutdown

Do you support reopening many US businesses 4/13/20, or prefer keeping the US shutdown longer

• Yes, Re-open the US economy such as small businesses to keep them from going bankrupt

Votes: 92 69.2%
  • No, do not open up small or big US businesses, COVID-19 is too dangerous to rush opening

Votes: 41 30.8%

• Total voters
I've always been attracted to the upper quintile, albeit them usually being social outcasts , and what i've noted is they may be God's in whatever they do best, but often lack the simple down to earth common sense to apply it toward the rest of their existence

~S~
But you cant have it both ways
Kind of like what they did in 2008, where all the working folks got kind of screwed.
Consider it the government paying you to STAY HOME, just as we paid soldiers to go overseas and fight Nazi's in foreign countries in World War II
As I said before, the ESSENTIAL SERVICES ECONOMY IS BOOMING RIGHT NOW. Its never been a better time to be employed in the production and distribution of FOOD and MEDICINE!
I guess it's nice to be considered 'essential' then....
Remember unemployed people
like me> non essential, & wanting to work?
Someone temporarily losing their non-essential service job is nothing compared to the disaster that is happening in hospitals across the country, especially New York City.
Grand, take a few months of w/out pay

and get back to us then

~S~

Sorry, but killing people to open up your non-essential job is not worth it for the country. STAY HOME AND SAVE LIVES! The country is at war with a PATHOGEN and people going to work in their non-essential business's provide the pathogen with a means to spread and kill more people.

There are homeless people out there in worse shape than these people at home from their non-essential business's. Don't aid the enemy, STAY HOME! This is a national effort to defeat the pathogen.
Non essential to who?

if your economic future depends on a small business that you built from the ground up its very essential to you

there are a lot of odd ducks on this forum who are retired or foreigners, or in some other way not part of the regular economy to begin with

but they dont represent most Americans

To the country as a whole. This is a national crises. Were fighting an enemy right now that requires Americans to isolate from each other as much as possible. That's reality. Your primary goal is to isolate your self as much as possible and keep yourself fed. That's why the government is sending Americans 2 Trillion dollars in aid. This is about survival, just like in a Tornado, Hurricane, War etc. When its over, you can go about repairing the damage. Right now, your primary concerns are food, water, shelter and isolation from other people.

The idea that shutting down the non-essential parts of the economy will destroy America forever is absurd. Germany and Japan survived World War II, and they had far more than just non-essential parts of their economy shut down. Those countries were in ruins at the end of 1945, totally bombed out from city to city and in the case of Japan NUKED.

Your county though should address anyone that has problems with FOOD, shelter, water, or electricity until this crises is over.
Putting America on an extended stay at home vacation for 4 months may not destroy America

but it could destroy a lot of American small businesses

not that that would mean anything to you I suppose

We have to put America back to work at the earliest possible moment

Over 1,000 Americans died today from coronavirus and you think this is a time to be worried about non-essential business? Most of these non-essential business's will come back and for the business's that don't, people will migrate to another business.

In the meantime, JAPAN only has 57 deaths despite having an older more vulnerable population. Taiwan only has 5 deaths. The difference in the figures in the United States vs. Japan/Taiwan show the scale of Trump's failure to protect the American population.
Japan does not have a national shutdown or quarentine in place like America has

japan is open for business

so is sweden

Sweden is playing with fire for their population of 10 million people. They have 5,466 cases, one of the highest case counts per capita in the world and 282 dead. Not good results given the small population.

Japan has the luxury of being open for business, because they took steps back in January to prevent large penetration of the virus into the country. When you don't have community spread in the country, contact tracing is enough to contain the virus.

The United States could have been like Japan, but Donald Trump failed to enact the same measures Japan did back in January.
Japan did nothing differently than the US

and sweden has done less

Japan sealed of the country from foreign travel and other contacts. They had testing in place from day 1 and were able to do contact tracing on all their infections and isolate them. The United States did not shut down foreign travel and had no testing capability like Japan did back in January. Without widespread testing capability, you don't know who is infected and can't do contact tracing to isolate the infected.

Its the same with Taiwan. You block foreign travel and contacts to prevent as much of the infection from getting inside the country. You then follow up with mass testing, contact tracing, and isolation of the infected.

When you contain the problem EARLY, you can remain open domestically.

The United States could have saved thousands of lives and kept the economy humming if it was prepared with testing capabilities, and contact tracing capabilities and had shut down foreign travel and contacts like Taiwan and Japan did in January.

Instead of preparing for this threat since January 2017, Trump handicapped the country's ability to deal with this threat but cutting funding and disbanding a group on the National Security Council meant to deal with a pandemic.

Except there is no truth to that. Need the factcheck link, just ask.

We have an entirely different system of government than others. One person does not have the ability to just shutdown the country at will. Remember what the Democrats were doing at the beginning of last month? They were passing a bill to restrict the Presidents ability to institute travel bans. When he placed a travel ban on African countries, the Democrats said it was out of racism.

Other countries don't have the bureaucracies we do either. The CDC had the only test kits for this virus that had FDA approval. When they started to use them, they found out the kits were defective. Then we had to wait around for the FDA to approve other kits. They don't have all this red tape in other places.

It was only last week the FDA approved of the use of hydroxychloroquine, and over the weekend, finally approved of sterilizing N-95 face masks. It's April 2nd today.

Sorry, but those are the facts. You can stop the spread of covid-19 in your country when you enact travel bans and other restrictions on foreign contacts EARLY. Japan and Taiwan did that. They then had testing ability and contact tracing to track and isolate the small number of infections that got through. When you do that, you can remain relatively open because inside the country, the virus is contained.

Donald Trump has been President since January 20, 2017. He had three years to prepare the CDC and healthcare community for this crises. He failed to do any of that. Instead, he cut funding and disbanded the pandemic group on the National Security Council that was helping to prepare the country for the next pandemic.
Japan restricted travel from china just about the same time trump did

We need to open up for business, America. America has never tolerated living on her knees in conformity. If we die, we die on our feet. with our boots on . . .

Dumbest post of the year. The same people who say the life of every zygot is precious and we should give people every chance at life, are now saying that saving business is more important than saving people. Right wingers have been brainwashed by the business class, utterly.

Saving small businesses is saving people's livelihood. Putting wage earners out of work is going to ruin more lives than Coronavirus ever could.

You must be a Canuckian welfare queen or else you'd be in Clearwater with the rest of the Canuckian Snowbirds..partying it up. Brr! Too cold for the beach for me.
Why? When COVID starts to recede the people will get back to work.

To what jobs? Derp! You're not much of a thinker, huh?

Rent's due, bills are due. Restaurant stocks got ruined. Many people are about to be homeless.

The sad part is that the hardest hit will be wage-earners and small business. Non-working check-getters that leech off of the wage-earners will weather this shutdown better than the people that are stolen from to supply them.

When a business closes, they still have bills to pay. They still have to pay for insurance. They still have to pay for heat and electricity. They still have to pay property taxes. It doesn't stop because a business has to close. In some cases they won't be able to reopen because the business is out of money.

Responsible business owners will weather the storm just fine.

Some will, but some won't. Some businesses barely make a profit and live month to month. Others have the money to hold out for a while.

If our Governor made a law that landlords were not allowed to collect rent for an indefinite time, my only choice would be to file bankruptcy. I still have mortgages to pay. I still have utility bills to pay on behalf of me and my tenants. I still have property taxes to pay. I would sooner do that and keep the money I do have instead of paying all these bills until I had nothing.

When your business stops, it doesn't mean the bills do.

People on the right often accuse individuals living month to month of being irresponsible.

We are discovering how fragile our economy actually was.

I've always been attracted to the upper quintile, albeit them usually being social outcasts , and what i've noted is they may be God's in whatever they do best, but often lack the simple down to earth common sense to apply it toward the rest of their existence

~S~
Kind of like what they did in 2008, where all the working folks got kind of screwed.
Consider it the government paying you to STAY HOME, just as we paid soldiers to go overseas and fight Nazi's in foreign countries in World War II
As I said before, the ESSENTIAL SERVICES ECONOMY IS BOOMING RIGHT NOW. Its never been a better time to be employed in the production and distribution of FOOD and MEDICINE!
Someone temporarily losing their non-essential service job is nothing compared to the disaster that is happening in hospitals across the country, especially New York City.

and get back to us then

~S~

Sorry, but killing people to open up your non-essential job is not worth it for the country. STAY HOME AND SAVE LIVES! The country is at war with a PATHOGEN and people going to work in their non-essential business's provide the pathogen with a means to spread and kill more people.

There are homeless people out there in worse shape than these people at home from their non-essential business's. Don't aid the enemy, STAY HOME! This is a national effort to defeat the pathogen.
Non essential to who?

if your economic future depends on a small business that you built from the ground up its very essential to you

there are a lot of odd ducks on this forum who are retired or foreigners, or in some other way not part of the regular economy to begin with

To the country as a whole. This is a national crises. Were fighting an enemy right now that requires Americans to isolate from each other as much as possible. That's reality. Your primary goal is to isolate your self as much as possible and keep yourself fed. That's why the government is sending Americans 2 Trillion dollars in aid. This is about survival, just like in a Tornado, Hurricane, War etc. When its over, you can go about repairing the damage. Right now, your primary concerns are food, water, shelter and isolation from other people.

The idea that shutting down the non-essential parts of the economy will destroy America forever is absurd. Germany and Japan survived World War II, and they had far more than just non-essential parts of their economy shut down. Those countries were in ruins at the end of 1945, totally bombed out from city to city and in the case of Japan NUKED.

Your county though should address anyone that has problems with FOOD, shelter, water, or electricity until this crises is over.
Putting America on an extended stay at home vacation for 4 months may not destroy America

Over 1,000 Americans died today from coronavirus and you think this is a time to be worried about non-essential business? Most of these non-essential business's will come back and for the business's that don't, people will migrate to another business.

In the meantime, JAPAN only has 57 deaths despite having an older more vulnerable population. Taiwan only has 5 deaths. The difference in the figures in the United States vs. Japan/Taiwan show the scale of Trump's failure to protect the American population.

so is sweden

Sweden is playing with fire for their population of 10 million people. They have 5,466 cases, one of the highest case counts per capita in the world and 282 dead. Not good results given the small population.

Japan has the luxury of being open for business, because they took steps back in January to prevent large penetration of the virus into the country. When you don't have community spread in the country, contact tracing is enough to contain the virus.

The United States could have been like Japan, but Donald Trump failed to enact the same measures Japan did back in January.

and sweden has done less

Japan sealed of the country from foreign travel and other contacts. They had testing in place from day 1 and were able to do contact tracing on all their infections and isolate them. The United States did not shut down foreign travel and had no testing capability like Japan did back in January. Without widespread testing capability, you don't know who is infected and can't do contact tracing to isolate the infected.

Its the same with Taiwan. You block foreign travel and contacts to prevent as much of the infection from getting inside the country. You then follow up with mass testing, contact tracing, and isolation of the infected.

The United States could have saved thousands of lives and kept the economy humming if it was prepared with testing capabilities, and contact tracing capabilities and had shut down foreign travel and contacts like Taiwan and Japan did in January.

Instead of preparing for this threat since January 2017, Trump handicapped the country's ability to deal with this threat but cutting funding and disbanding a group on the National Security Council meant to deal with a pandemic.

We have an entirely different system of government than others. One person does not have the ability to just shutdown the country at will. Remember what the Democrats were doing at the beginning of last month? They were passing a bill to restrict the Presidents ability to institute travel bans. When he placed a travel ban on African countries, the Democrats said it was out of racism.

Other countries don't have the bureaucracies we do either. The CDC had the only test kits for this virus that had FDA approval. When they started to use them, they found out the kits were defective. Then we had to wait around for the FDA to approve other kits. They don't have all this red tape in other places.

It was only last week the FDA approved of the use of hydroxychloroquine, and over the weekend, finally approved of sterilizing N-95 face masks. It's April 2nd today.

Sorry, but those are the facts. You can stop the spread of covid-19 in your country when you enact travel bans and other restrictions on foreign contacts EARLY. Japan and Taiwan did that. They then had testing ability and contact tracing to track and isolate the small number of infections that got through. When you do that, you can remain relatively open because inside the country, the virus is contained.

Donald Trump has been President since January 20, 2017. He had three years to prepare the CDC and healthcare community for this crises. He failed to do any of that. Instead, he cut funding and disbanded the pandemic group on the National Security Council that was helping to prepare the country for the next pandemic.
So did Italy.

Restricting travel of Chinese citizens was simply ineffective.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

But Japan restricted ALL foreign travel, not just from China. They also had testing and contact tracing for any of the small number of people they still let in from other countries.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

Your post is bullshit Ray. The problems you're currently having with this virus have NOTHING to do with your system of government, and EVERTYTHING to do with the competence of your President and his Administration.

The President DOES SO have the ability to shut the country down in a crisis, and he should have done it. The lack of leadership from the federal government is killing people. The refusal to use the WHO test is killing people because YOU STILL DON'T HAVE RELIABLE TESTING.

I hope to God your parents aren't in an assisted living facility. If they are, bring them home if you can. Those places are death traps if the virus gets loose in them.

You said what happened in Italy could not happen in the USA but it already is, and its going to be worse than Italy. You don't have the beds or the staff. Yesterday it was learned that thousands of ventilators in the national stockpile don't work because the Trump Administration let the maintenance contract on them lapse last year.

Trump should be jailed for negligent homicide.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

So did Italy.

Japan restricted all foreign travel and contacts. That's what you do in a pandemic when you don't know where or who people coming to the country have been in contact with. You don't just target one country and its citizens. That makes no sense. A Pathogen does not recognize citizenship or national borders.

Testing, contact tracing and isolation of infections that have penetrated into Japan have allowed the country to remain open domestically.

We could have banned travel to and from China 10 years ago and we would still have Covid-19. Only an idiot would think otherwise.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

This problem hit a hundred countries. What makes you think these couple of people would have stopped this virus; a virus we've never experienced before?

Didn't you read a word I wrote? I stated we do not live in an autocracy. We do not have a king that barks orders out, and it is done. It doesn't work like that here. In Japan? I n Taiwan? Perhaps, but not here.

Several Democrats have criticized the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus outbreak by pointing to the dissolving of a team within the White House’s National Security Council dedicated to coordinating a response to a pandemic. As we’ve written before, in 2018, the administration did eliminate a key position that would have been involved in such a response — the senior director of the NSC’s Office of Global Health Security and Biodefense. But that doesn’t mean the responsibilities of that office were eliminated.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

So did Italy.

not totally ineffective

the commie virus was here in low numbers months before anyone knew

but by january the numbers were grow fast

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

But Japan restricted ALL foreign travel, not just from China. They also had testing and contact tracing for any of the small number of people they still let in from other countries.
Thats not true

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

So did Italy.

not totally ineffective

If you think the virus was here for months, that especially demonstrates how ineffective travel restrictions were.

We had cases coming in through unrestricted travel of American citizens to affected areas who were no screened, tested or quarantined.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

Your post is bullshit Ray. The problems you're currently having with this virus have NOTHING to do with your system of government, and EVERTYTHING to do with the competence of your President and his Administration.

The President DOES SO have the ability to shut the country down in a crisis, and he should have done it. The lack of leadership from the federal government is killing people. The refusal to use the WHO test is killing people because YOU STILL DON'T HAVE RELIABLE TESTING.

I hope to God your parents aren't in an assisted living facility. If they are, bring them home if you can. Those places are death traps if the virus gets loose in them.

You said what happened in Italy could not happen in the USA but it already is, and its going to be worse than Italy. You don't have the beds or the staff. Yesterday it was learned that thousands of ventilators in the national stockpile don't work because the Trump Administration let the maintenance contract on them lapse last year.

I don't know where you read that bulllshit from. Ventilators don't break on their own. I worked on them for five years. I know. I used to do minor repair on the old Bear I, Bear II, MA-1's and MA-2' ventilators. You don't need to check or do maintenance on them unless they are in use. The only way those ventilators could have went bad is if they were stored in a warehouse with no temperature or humidity control.

The President does have the ability to shutdown in a crisis, but we were not in a crisis in January, or even February for that matter. During the first week of March, the commies were trying to pass a bill to remove Trump's ability to issue travel bans. Yes, it is our system of government.

The only blame I give Trump is for not attacking all our bureaucracies in this country. Those are the people who hold everything up and screw up the country. They are responsible for at least some of our deaths with this virus. They were responsible for our housing crash that led to a worldwide recession.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

So did Italy.

That's because it was too late by then. If they never let the Chinese immigrants into their country, they wouldn't be having near the amount of problems with this virus as they are now.

We need to open up for business, America. America has never tolerated living on her knees in conformity. If we die, we die on our feet. with our boots on . . .

Dumbest post of the year. The same people who say the life of every zygot is precious and we should give people every chance at life, are now saying that saving business is more important than saving people. Right wingers have been brainwashed by the business class, utterly.

Saving small businesses is saving people's livelihood. Putting wage earners out of work is going to ruin more lives than Coronavirus ever could.

You must be a Canuckian welfare queen or else you'd be in Clearwater with the rest of the Canuckian Snowbirds..partying it up. Brr! Too cold for the beach for me.
Why? When COVID starts to recede the people will get back to work.

To what jobs? Derp! You're not much of a thinker, huh?

Rent's due, bills are due. Restaurant stocks got ruined. Many people are about to be homeless.

The sad part is that the hardest hit will be wage-earners and small business. Non-working check-getters that leech off of the wage-earners will weather this shutdown better than the people that are stolen from to supply them.

When a business closes, they still have bills to pay. They still have to pay for insurance. They still have to pay for heat and electricity. They still have to pay property taxes. It doesn't stop because a business has to close. In some cases they won't be able to reopen because the business is out of money.

Responsible business owners will weather the storm just fine.

Some will, but some won't. Some businesses barely make a profit and live month to month. Others have the money to hold out for a while.

If our Governor made a law that landlords were not allowed to collect rent for an indefinite time, my only choice would be to file bankruptcy. I still have mortgages to pay. I still have utility bills to pay on behalf of me and my tenants. I still have property taxes to pay. I would sooner do that and keep the money I do have instead of paying all these bills until I had nothing.

When your business stops, it doesn't mean the bills do.

People on the right often accuse individuals living month to month of being irresponsible.

We are discovering how fragile our economy actually was.

It doesn't discount the fact that we had a booming economy. With a booming economy comes more new businesses. A new business generally closes down within it's first five years. It takes a while to build a business to the strength it can survive almost anything.

So those first couple years are rough even with a good economy. The least little thing could cause it to go belly up. Many new business owners tell stories how their employees got paid before they paid themselves; living on credit cards in some cases. That's just the nature of owning a business.

Just because somebody does own a business doesn't mean they are flush with money.

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

So did Italy.

not totally ineffective

If you think the virus was here for months, that especially demonstrates how ineffective travel restrictions were.

We had cases coming in through unrestricted travel of American citizens to affected areas who were no screened, tested or quarantined.
The virus was here in very low numbers

low numbers combined with the fact that 90% of the public was not

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

I don't know where you read that bulllshit from. Ventilators don't break on their own. I worked on them for five years. I know. I used to do minor repair on the old Bear I, Bear II, MA-1's and MA-2' ventilators. You don't need to check or do maintenance on them unless they are in use. The only way those ventilators could have went bad is if they were stored in a warehouse with no temperature or humidity control.

The President does have the ability to shutdown in a crisis, but we were not in a crisis in January, or even February for that matter. During the first week of March, the commies were trying to pass a bill to remove Trump's ability to issue travel bans. Yes, it is our system of government.

The only blame I give Trump is for not attacking all our bureaucracies in this country. Those are the people who hold everything up and screw up the country. They are responsible for at least some of our deaths with this virus. They were responsible for our housing crash that led to a worldwide recession.
There is no way to reach trump haters like DragonLady, who as I recall cant even vote in US elections

~S~

and get back to us then

~S~

Non essential to who?

so is sweden

and sweden has done less

So did Italy.

That's because it was too late by then. If they never let the Chinese immigrants into their country, they wouldn't be having near the amount of problems with this virus as they are now.

Why just restrictions on Chinese immigrants?

Unfortunately due to the protocols and procedures put in place, the numbers were likely low only because we missed a lot of them.
The numbers were low in America because the commie virus was just getting started and because most people will not not contract pneumonia

Unfortunately due to the protocols and procedures put in place, the numbers were likely low only because we missed a lot of them.
The numbers were low in America because the commie virus was just getting started and because most people will not not contract pneumonia
And our inability to find the cases and isolate them is what has lead to what you see now.

Forum List

Back