POLL: Open the economy up and go back to work - Stay home and shutdown

Do you support reopening many US businesses 4/13/20, or prefer keeping the US shutdown longer

• Yes, Re-open the US economy such as small businesses to keep them from going bankrupt

Votes: 92 69.2%
  • No, do not open up small or big US businesses, COVID-19 is too dangerous to rush opening

Votes: 41 30.8%

• Total voters
W
What are we going to do in 6 months when the next flu season starts, shut down again? We have swung from one extreme to the other. Those at high risk should isolate, the rest of the country should get back to work. That's my opinion.
We have flu vaccines.

Get one.

W
What are we going to do in 6 months when the next flu season starts, shut down again? We have swung from one extreme to the other. Those at high risk should isolate, the rest of the country should get back to work. That's my opinion.
We have flu vaccines.

Get one.
Yet despite those vaccines we still lose thousands every year and don't lose our shit over it.
The vaccines are no guarantee either as they are developed each year with the expected strains which are not always in line with actual strains that may spread in any particular year.
A clue.
Get one.

I was facing a 98 % rebuttal the first time I made any comment on this 3-4 weeks ago when I said I though it was too speculative about this being something that warranted shutting the nation down.
A brief stop may have been wise to see if anything extremely revealing came forth quickly and demanded immediate attention and isolation.
Well we’re almost 10 days into ruining America and no monsters have jumped out.
We’ve been told any day now the infections will soar but they merely match percentage of population sampled.
Easy stats are unavailable. Time to end this overreaction

W
We have flu vaccines.

Get one.
Yet despite those vaccines we still lose thousands every year and don't lose our shit over it.
The vaccines are no guarantee either as they are developed each year with the expected strains which are not always in line with actual strains that may spread in any particular year.
A clue.
Get one.
Yeah that is true that even in ordinary and sane reaction they infrequently have trouble getting the vaccine right

Also the “there is no vaccine” is rapidly becoming the only mantra left for the shutdowners. That is important but it doesn’t make you get it if you are unvaccinated And how much is a vaccine this utterly vital to protect the public from and illness that most dont get and many that do hardly notice it or not at all??? There is a negative or two thing about it for sure but not worth shutting down the USA about.

I was facing a 98 % rebuttal the first time I made any comment on this 3-4 weeks ago when I said I though it was too speculative about this being something that warranted shutting the nation down.
A brief stop may have been wise to see if anything extremely revealing came forth quickly and demanded immediate attention and isolation.
We’ve been told any day now the infections will soar but they merely match percentage of population sampled.
Thing is it is far more widespread and long past isolation. It will run its course. If we knew how high that number of those testing positive really was, those death rates drop exponentially.
If 100 test positive and 1 dies that is a 1% death rate. If it is actually 1000 infected with that one death that rate drops to .1%.
Without the ability to test 345 million folks, the numbers thrown around are to this point useless speculation. We never have enough testing of anything as each year we can't foresee every pathogen that might run through.
We will eventually have a vaccine, but the world isn't going to shutter for a year waiting. Nor should it.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion but can't figure out who has the majority.

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.

The economy must be reopened. It’s already shut for too long.

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.

Since this is a TRUMP ZOMBIE forum, the poll numbers will be in favor of opening up NON-ESSENTIAL Business. They don't understand or care how many Americans they will kill or at least put at risk of death.

This is not the time to be like a 20 year old idiot at the beach, thinking everything is normal.

Ah, but since most people HERE will fall in line with anything Trump says, the results of this poll are predictable.

Thank God Trump will no longer be President after the end of this year!

If Trump win in November I am going to mock you for the next four years!

Also if this Pandemic does not kill more than the flu, again I will mock you!

Why?

Your hysteria is annoying!

Oh, I am voting for Biden this November but those like you annoy the hell out of me with your hysteria!

Thing is it is far more widespread and long past isolation. It will run its course. If we knew how high that number of those testing positive really was, those death rates drop exponentially.
If 100 test positive and 1 dies that is a 1% death rate. If it is actually 1000 infected with that one death that rate drops to .1%.
Without the ability to test 345 million folks, the numbers thrown around are to this point useless speculation. We never have enough testing of anything as each year we can't foresee every pathogen that might run through.
We will eventually have a vaccine, but the world isn't going to shutter for a year waiting. Nor should it.

Have the CDC and Military go person to person and test everyone and let get a real damn count so we can shut those in Hysteria up for once and for all!

All of the lock down measures that I've seen, have not been effective, as near as I can tell.
The clear example of this, would be Italy, which is again as near as I can tell, has the most strict and harsh lock down measure of any country.

Yet virus infections are still rising.

So.... given there doesn't seem to be much value in lock down, then we are left with a pointless policy that damages the entire economy. Corona, no matter which way you look at it, will be short term. Damage to the economy will be long term.

Now I do understand the logic, of trying to flatten the curve, and prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. Again... not seeing that this is working.

You could not be more wrong. Italy didn’t lock down until very recently. Too little, too late. Areas where there has been aggressive lock downs and extensive testing leading to isolation of positive tests, have shown a remarkable reduction in infections.

This is partially true but they study disease and outbreaks so they know the corollaries between the 30 day marker post identification and the ultimate outcomes as each progressed. Many episodes.

We know this is different gets thrown around but they are all different in their own way HINI and all the bad ones and not bad ones have stats of. infections/hospital/deaths. Gonna try to tell me no data is available because day 30 is”too soon”Bullshit
Let’s see how things panned out from day 30/60/90 6 month 9 month one year two year.
We are smart enough. We can understand it, saying we can’t id an excuse not to provide it likely because the numbers are unfavorable to the ongoing Destroy America agenda

Have the CDC and Military go person to person and test everyone and let get a real damn count so we can shut those in Hysteria up for once and for all!
There will never be enough tests.
Getting the test doesn't mean you are "all good". It just means you haven't got it yet. It doesn't prevent you getting infected two days later.
All testing does is verify for treatment and provide data. Tests are only recommended for those with severe respiratory distress and those calling doctor for tests with simple symptoms are told to shelter in place and only come in if experiencing severe distress.
In other words, just get over it.

All of the lock down measures that I've seen, have not been effective, as near as I can tell.
The clear example of this, would be Italy, which is again as near as I can tell, has the most strict and harsh lock down measure of any country.

So.... given there doesn't seem to be much value in lock down, then we are left with a pointless policy that damages the entire economy. Corona, no matter which way you look at it, will be short term. Damage to the economy will be long term.

Now I do understand the logic, of trying to flatten the curve, and prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. Again... not seeing that this is working.

I didn't know that Italy shutdown the entire country. Last I heard it was just the northern part.

The US needs to do as many other mitigation measures as possible to minimize the spread. Whether its no public transportation, or mandatory testing and temperature testing at work, or taking medications such as in this CDC link:

I'm not sure about schools or colleges. Still think they need to do their work online.

IMHO it shouldn't be any worse than normal flu, but it could be.
Still we can't stop working or the economy collapses.

Opening non-essential business is just recipe to kill people and overwhelm and destroy the healthcare system. Its not about the economy, its about defeating the enemy. In this case the enemy is a Pathogen that is killing people. There is only one way to kill the Pathogen.
The will be no eradication of the virus. The reality is that it is with us for many months and will eventually reach 40-80% of the worlds population. All we can do is buy some time and find a proper balance without crippling the entire country. Can anyone really envision a lockdown lasting 18 months?
Dr. Osterholm believes shutdowns really have no long term effect. We have to decide to learn how to live with it. No economy or the world can stand a long term shutdown.
If the equation was only measured in lives then we should shut down everything every winter as influenza kills tens of thousands.
Save us the fear based hyperbole.

I'm under this impression too. This does not appear to be the type of contagion that can be eliminated like Polio, but more like trying to eradicate the common cold.

Now I could be wrong, but I think this will end up like influenza. Where you can take some vaccines to mitigate it at best.

There will never be enough tests.
Getting the test doesn't mean you are "all good". It just means you haven't got it yet. It doesn't prevent you getting infected two days later.
All testing does is verify for treatment and provide data. Tests are only recommended for those with severe respiratory distress and those calling doctor for tests with simple symptoms are told to shelter in place and only come in if experiencing severe distress.
In other words, just get over it.

I am willing to bet when this Pandemic is over the number of deaths will be around 0.5% or lower of the World Population and the left will blame Trump for the crashing of the economy and overreaction...

If regular folks dont go back to work they're gonna be screaming bloody murder and they will take it out on the dems at the national and local levels ....theyre pissed out there ...I was in two stores today I had a nice little conversation with a mom at the checkout .....laughing at the gas station with the beer truck guy ....I'm not shy I'll talk to anyone :p

Every fresh fruit or veggie you could want at kroger ...a lot of it all on sale

Meat was still scarce ..especially the variety to choose from ....the left utopin socialst aoc future they wanna foister on yawill be 100 x worse I guarantee it ...
They had some steaks, chicken thighs and legs and thin chops

Macaronis can goods dry beans frozen foods pet food most aisles shelves were half empty ...

Fresh eggs n milk n butter a plenty ...but choice limited
The had a big ol stack of regular ol large eggs and that was it ...
Tp they had no paper towels

Oh deli was full ....make a sammich!
They had everything in deli

I didn't know that Italy shutdown the entire country. Last I heard it was just the northern part.

The US needs to do as many other mitigation measures as possible to minimize the spread. Whether its no public transportation, or mandatory testing and temperature testing at work, or taking medications such as in this CDC link:

I'm not sure about schools or colleges. Still think they need to do their work online.

Opening non-essential business is just recipe to kill people and overwhelm and destroy the healthcare system. Its not about the economy, its about defeating the enemy. In this case the enemy is a Pathogen that is killing people. There is only one way to kill the Pathogen.
The will be no eradication of the virus. The reality is that it is with us for many months and will eventually reach 40-80% of the worlds population. All we can do is buy some time and find a proper balance without crippling the entire country. Can anyone really envision a lockdown lasting 18 months?
Dr. Osterholm believes shutdowns really have no long term effect. We have to decide to learn how to live with it. No economy or the world can stand a long term shutdown.
If the equation was only measured in lives then we should shut down everything every winter as influenza kills tens of thousands.

I'm under this impression too. This does not appear to be the type of contagion that can be eliminated like Polio, but more like trying to eradicate the common cold.

Now I could be wrong, but I think this will end up like influenza. Where you can take some vaccines to mitigate it at best.
Had to look it up.
Polio still in three countries.
No surprise at the three, but still a risk to the world if a mutation occurs.

Had to look it up.
Polio still in three countries.
No surprise at the three, but still a risk to the world if a mutation occurs.

Yeah I meant to imply wipe it out from the US.
Of course it still exists in the backward areas of the world.

I honestly doubt that anything can really be completely and utterly eliminated.

Democrats saying 4 month full unemployment will be in this bill. Bullshit, one month and 4k tax free that's it. What about us who worked through the whole damn thing.
People die, so fucking what. The flu kill the old and the useless every year. This is one more way to cull the weak.

Forget it. We're already going to be the new COVID-19 epicenter of the world. We'll just have to brace up and get through the depression.

And how do you figure ?

Or are you talking about New York.

The US. We got too many new infections and the death toll will rise dramatically. New York will lead the way I suppose. NYC has 19,200 infected alone right now.

Forum List

Back