[POLL] - Liberals, how much is a "fair share?" - Taxes

What's the "fair share?"

• Total voters

tooAlive

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2012
United States
I keep hearing liberals say day after day, "the rich need to pay their fair share!"

But when asked how much the "fair share" actually is, they have no idea and never come out with a specific number. Others just beat around the bush and talk about periods in our history when top marginal tax rates were in the 90% range (even though nobody ever paid that rate), but say that's not really what they want. Maybe out of fear they'll get called communists.

Anyways, I thought I'd put an end to the confusion once and for all with this poll.

Liberals, what should be the "fair share" the rich have to pay in taxes?

Conservatives, feel free to chime in as well.

Last edited:
I keep hearing liberals say day after day, "the rich need to pay their fair share!"

But when asked how much the "fair share" actually is, they have no idea and never come out with a specific number. Others just beat around the bush and talk about periods in our history when top marginal tax rates were in the 90% range, but say that's not really what they want. Maybe out of fear they'll get called communists.

Anyways, I thought I'd put an end to the confusion once and for al with this poll.

Good luck...I have asked this same question here for some time now.

But when asked how much the "fair share" actually is, they have no idea and never come out with a specific number. Others just beat around the bush and talk about periods in our history when top marginal tax rates were in the 90% range, but say that's not really what they want. Maybe out of fear they'll get called communists.

Anyways, I thought I'd put an end to the confusion once and for al with this poll.

You either misunderstand the issue or are misrepresenting it.

The issue has nothing to do with a ‘fair share ‘ or some ‘specific number.’

The issue concerns the fallacy of ‘trickle-down economics,’ where taxes are lowered for high-income earners, yet tax rates remain the same for middle and low-income earners.

The issue concerns the fallacy of ‘trickle-down economics,’ where taxes are lowered for high-income earners, yet tax rates remain the same for middle and low-income earners.

What country are you speaking of?

Tax rates here in the US go up as your income goes up. Not down.

2013-Tax-Rates.png

Last edited:
Back in the 1950s, when the top marginal tax rate was more than 90 percent, real annual growth averaged more than 4 percent. During the last eight years, when the top marginal rate was just 35 percent, real growth was less than half that. Altogether, in years when the top marginal rate was lower than 39.6 percent — the top rate during the 1990s — annual real growth averaged 2.1 percent. In years when the rate was 39.6 percent or higher, real growth averaged 3.8 percent. The pattern is the same regardless of threshold. Take 50 percent, for example. Growth in years when the tax rate was less than 50 percent averaged 2.7 percent. In years with tax rates at or more than 50 percent, growth was 3.7 percent.

CHART: Since 1950, Lower Top Tax Rates Have Coincided With Weaker Economic Growth | ThinkProgress

Attachments

• $taxratesgrowth.jpg
    $taxratesgrowth.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 216
A few years ago, a politician in Pleasanton CA was asked this question, and he answered 90%.

Back in the 1950s, when the top marginal tax rate was more than 90 percent, real annual growth averaged more than 4 percent. During the last eight years, when the top marginal rate was just 35 percent, real growth was less than half that. Altogether, in years when the top marginal rate was lower than 39.6 percent — the top rate during the 1990s — annual real growth averaged 2.1 percent. In years when the rate was 39.6 percent or higher, real growth averaged 3.8 percent. The pattern is the same regardless of threshold. Take 50 percent, for example. Growth in years when the tax rate was less than 50 percent averaged 2.7 percent. In years with tax rates at or more than 50 percent, growth was 3.7 percent.

CHART: Since 1950, Lower Top Tax Rates Have Coincided With Weaker Economic Growth | ThinkProgress

Now tell me how many people actually forked over 91% of any portion of their income to the government.

Also, please find me someone that is willing to work for .10 cents on the dollar. I want to hire them.

Last edited:
Nobody. There were loopholes and the progressives always forget INFLATION.

Back in 1956, that 90% tax rate was on incomes over $2.5M in today's dollars. That's a far cry from the Billionaire and Millionaires who make $250K today.

Last edited:
No one knows what a fair share is it's just a talking point used to promote class warfare for political gain.

In general, Fair Share means somebody else should pay more.

2013-Tax-Rates.png

I meant to give you a positive rep and somehow it came up as a neg. This has happened to me before and I can't explain it.

I don't know how to undo it, so I will make it up to you.

Please forgive.

Last edited:

But when asked how much the "fair share" actually is, they have no idea and never come out with a specific number. Others just beat around the bush and talk about periods in our history when top marginal tax rates were in the 90% range (even though nobody ever paid that rate), but say that's not really what they want. Maybe out of fear they'll get called communists.

Anyways, I thought I'd put an end to the confusion once and for all with this poll.

Fair share = flat rate

QUESTION:

I tried to give tooAlive a positive rep. I did everything I was supposed to do but it came up as a neg. The same thing happened to me a few months back with PoliiticalChic.

Can someone explain to me what in the hell is going on???

MODS: There is something wrong with the system. Please fix it.

Last edited:

2013-Tax-Rates.png

I meant to give you a positive rep and somehow it came up as a neg. This has happened to me before and I can't explain it.

I don't know how to undo it, so I will make it up to you.

Please forgive.

No worries my friend, it's all good. :tongue:

Forum List

Back