Political Theatre, In the House, resumes 10:00 A.M.

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
The House of Representatives will be presenting political theatre today for those interested. This on going series, I have affectionately named, In the House, might not be suitable for people with heart problems, hypertension, nursing, or paying taxes. I will be giving real-time commentary is something is particularly thrilling.

In the House, House of Representatives Live Video: HouseLive.gov

The was a nice speech about debt by Rep. Olson (TX) about national debt. So I am assuming the Republicans controlled House will take up one of those bills like unemployment benefit extension or immigration reform which have been passed by the Senate and will receive Obama's signature and, oh yeah, will bring down the debt. Nice little item Rep. Oslon threw in right at the end there. Repeal the "death tax", in other words the estate tax. Will that help reduce the debt? No. Just the opposite. And who does it benefit? Rich. Republican Representative in a Republican House blaming the President.

Makes a great reality TV show

Some of this stuff is truly surreal. I particularly like the accents from the different parts of the country. Senators are bland by comparison. Representatives are from districts which means they are much closer to the people than the Senate or any other branch. Some parts of this country must be pretty scary places I must say.

The was a nice speech about debt by Rep. Olson (TX) about national debt. So I am assuming the Republicans controlled House will take up one of those bills like unemployment benefit extension or immigration reform which have been passed by the Senate and will receive Obama's signature and, oh yeah, will bring down the debt. Nice little item Rep. Oslon threw in right at the end there. Repeal the "death tax", in other words the estate tax. Will that help reduce the debt? No. Just the opposite. And who does it benefit? Rich. Republican Representative in a Republican House blaming the President.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bill the Republicans are going to bring to the House next week the Representative was referring to is this one:

House Republicans have a bold new strategy to attack Obamacare, which involves huge pay cuts for physicians unless Democrats agree to delay the law's individual mandate to buy insurance.

GOP leaders intend to vote on legislation this week, aides say, to delay the individual mandate in order to fund a "doc fix" that avoids a 24 percent pay cut to physicians under Medicare -- which will automatically take effect on April 1 unless Congress acts. Inaction would disrupt the health care system, in part by causing many doctors to stop accepting Medicare patients.

GOP's New Plan: Pay Cuts For Doctors If Obamacare Isn't Chopped
Sahil Kapur – March 10, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT

Republicans have a love/hate relation with Medicare. Some discussion is made about Medicare in Ryan's "War on Poverty", very aptly named. Republicans are constantly saying how good or bad it is or what the President is doing to it but they keep jumping back and forth between between the doctor's point of view and the patient's point of view. I happen to know someone quite familiar with how both patients and doctors have to deal with Medicare and Medicaid. I will make a thread on the subject one of these days.

"The problem is is that the way Bush has done it over the past eight years is to take out a credit card from the bank of China in the name of our children driving up our national debt ..."
What Bush did was to push off the costs of his policies until after he was out of office. It would not show up one the books until Bush was out of office. Ever heard the term, "unfunded mandates"? In addition to that he pushed up the debt, a double whammie. I do hope you are not going to argue the Bushes policies were worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

good post :beer:

Rep. Jolly just took his oath of office. Grats. Not my pick for sure but got to give him his props.

If your interested the bill being discussed currently is H.R.3189 - Water Rights Protection Act.

Here is a good article about the impact of the bill. Being a kayaker I do hope this Republican bill is defeated and Americans get to keep America. This is about whether the person highest on the stream gets to cut it off for those downstream. Capitalism is great. Unless you're downstream.

Fly Rod and Reel's Blogs: Conservation - 2014 March - Congressman Polis Acts to Save Rivers - by Ted Williams

This water rights bill brings up fundamental question of the reach of government. Should people be able to water the heck out of their lawns even in the hottest days of summer? Is that not my right?

Just started on the main event of the day. In this episode of In the House "Give the Tyrant Some Sunshine" will law and order be restored to this fragile nation?

Five minute vote so I get to catch up everyone who missed the previous episode, "The Land-Grabbing Job-Stealing Water Bill". I was trying to figure out what the bill was about. It took me about 2/3 the way through to get it. The Forestry Service overstepped their bounds which upset a ski area, rightfully so, and some legislation was needed to remedy the situation. It started out with a couple Representatives sitting down to work out the details. Soon the Republicans hijacked the process, which being the majority party they can, and turned it into a political statement. They complete screwed up the wording of the bill so that pretty much no one could recognize what it was suppose to do, which was reign in the Forestry Service. What should have be a two page bill, passed unanimously, with no amendments turned into debate and amendment discussion for a almost four hours. There was even an amendment from the Democrats that would have saved the bill and have it passed as it was originally intended, it would have become law. Republicans could have saved face, they would have got their bill passed with the one part that they really cared about, the title. As it was the bill passed on almost straight party line vote for the bill and all the amendments. How one party, the Republicans, can turn even the most simplest of legislative tasks into a Constitutional referendum on States rights and overreaching Presidential power I have no clue, and yes, they actually did claim that was what was at stake. As it is they passed a partisan bill that is going nowhere. :itsok: :lmao:

Bill to decouple water rights from ski-area permits hits House floor - The Denver Post

Forum List

Back