Police: Fake census worker invades home, kills owner

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
HOUSTON -- Police are warning homeowners to be careful who they allow inside their homes. A man posing as a census worker and two more suspects barged into a north Houston house Saturday afternoon, killing the homeowner and beating others. It happened Saturday afternoon in the 400 block of Truman.

A day later, Reginald “Pete” Haynes’ family is planning a funeral instead of celebrating Mother’s Day.
His nephew, Larry Johnson Jr., struggles to talk about what happened.
“They’ve taken something precious from us,” says Johnson. “They really have.”
Johnson lost his uncle after a man claiming to be a census worker went to their house and Haynes’ son, unknowingly opened the door.
Once the door was open, police say at least two other men also forced their way into the house.
According to Johnson, his cousin and aunt were beaten and tied up. As his uncle got home and walked in through the garage, he was ambushed.
“They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water,” he said. Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.
Haynes later died at the hospital and Johnson says his uncle was stabbed to death over a little bit of cash.
“They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them,” he claims.

Police: Fake census worker invades home, kills owner | khou.com | khou.com Local News

home invasions terrify me..and they are so totally rare where i live...and now this aint gonna help the census workers and their negative reps already

There are always thugs and bad guys. Now they have just one more excuse to scam you.

I met up with a census worker yesterday making the rounds of the neighborhood. She was cute. She didn't come to my door, she was in the coffee shop giving her (pretty) legs a rest.

I don't remember this kind of angst over any previous census.

If a census worker can get past my two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I may just answer the door.

I hope this does not make the job more difficult for my friendly neighborhood census worker. She's such an amazing person! So committed! So brave! Her hard work will help insure that Massachusetts does not lose a seat in Congress.

Yeah for all census workers everywhere!!!:happy-1:

If a census worker can get past my two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I may just answer the door.
My local census worker would have them rolling over for belly rubs in no time. She's unbelievable! People fight over whose house she will come to next.

One more reason why it was a good idea to just fill out the damn form and send it in.

Cripes, a lousy ten questions and even the postage was paid.

Filling out the form means that a Census worker will not come to your door? Think about that before you answer. I know the answer.

You can all try to rationalize it all you want - but it is a TRAGEDY!!! My heart goes out to that poor trusting family! I don't open the door to anybody unless I know them....and sometimes even that is not a guarantee. If they come to my door with a census sheet, I will answer their questions behind a locked door - it that is not enough, they can mail me another one! (Of course I mailed MINE the following day after receiving it.)

Filling out the form means that a Census worker will not come to your door? Think about that before you answer. I know the answer.

me too, the answer is no

and now we have this:

Volunteer Census worker charged with burglary and rape in Indiana | WHAS11.com | Louisville news, Kentucky news & breaking news | WHAS11.com | News for Louisville, Kentucky

i am not sure what a 'volunteer' is with the census. i had to be fingerprinted and all.

Actually it is no. Here is how they might show up. If the person that the census worker comes to interview is not home or won't answer, my understanding is they visit the neighbors. So, you might have done everything right and census worker can still visit huh? Also you can be visiting someone else's home while they are away and the census people can show up like happened to a certain poster here.

Last edited:
Looks like some caution is in order if someone saying he is from the Census shows up at one's door:

A man was killed and his family members beaten after three suspects barged into a north Houston home Saturday afternoon, police said.

Investigators said one of the suspects pretended to be a census worker to gain entry into the house, located in the 400 block of Truman.

Family members said the victim’s son opened the door for the suspects, believing they were with the census.

Larry Johnson Jr., the nephew of the victim, said the suspects tied up and beat his cousin and aunt after barging into to the home.

Johnson said his uncle, Reginald "Pete" Haynes, walked in on the crime and was ambushed.

"They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water," Johnson said.

Haynes later died at the hospital...

HPD: Man killed in home invasion after suspect poses as census worker | khou.com | khou.com Local News

That's why having a peep hole is a very good idea.

Perhaps in some older homes or rentals?

It's a basic safety precaution; I certainly wouldn't live in a dwelling without one.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
I mailed mine in first week. I still got a visit.

I live near a coffee shop and I ran into one of the enumerators there. I did census back in 1980. We didn't have half the problems I am reading about now. No one was angry, angsty or whatever.

And the people were really on the ball back then.

Forum List

Back