Plot to shut down Baltimore electric grid stopped

I don’t know. Right now the electric utility industry is getting beaten up from all sides...

Customers complain about bills. Regulators want better reliability without increased cost. Distributed Generation (solar, wind, etc…) and alternate energy providers are causing issues with the grid. The grid itself is aging. Cybersecurity is a major concern. Everywhere you turn somebody else wants to punch the industry in the face.

Now you add the need for enhanced physical security to the mix, and it’s just overwhelming.
What about the deregulation of the industry back in the 1990s ? Yes it caused some serious decline in quality, caused erratic prices all over the place, loss of great management teams, and a fall in consumer services.

One thing I've noticed over the year's, and that is that everything tried and failed is nicely covered up and swept under the rug, and all while the beneficiary's of the bull shite bailed out with their golden parachutes.

The Unite the Right rally goers in Charlottesville were shouting. "Russia is our friend."

The far right and MAGA are poootin apologist. Trump took poootin's word over his own Intel. If he is elected again...he will finish destroying our nation.
You mean finish destroying the leftist if reelected... That is what the leftist fear big time.

What about the deregulation of the industry back in the 1990s ? Yes it caused some serious decline in quality, caused erratic prices all over the place, loss of great management teams, and a fall in consumer services
Electricity is still a highly regulated industry what they did in the 1990s was try to break up some of the major monopolies in the industry. Different sized companies came about, serving different sized communities and customer bases. That’s what happens when you break up the monopolies.
One thing I've noticed over the year's, and that is that everything tried and failed is nicely covered up and swept under the rug, and all while the beneficiary's of the bull shite bailed out with their golden parachutes
Yeah there has been a bit of that recently… Enron, PG&E, etc… thsts what happenes when you have businessmen running these companies rather than engineers and workers. I see it at my own company… businesspeople making decisions because they fit the political narrative when all the people in the trenches know it will never work.

Last edited:
Electricity is still a highly regulated industry what they did in the 1990s was try to break up some of the major monopolies in the industry. Different sized companies came about, serving different sized communities and customer bases. That’s what happens when you break up the monopolies.

Yeah there has been a bit of that recently… Enron, PG&E, etc… thsts what happenes when you have businessmen running these companies rather than engineers and workers. I see it at my own company… businesspeople making decisions because they fit the political narrative when all the people in the trenches know it will never work.
Exactly right, and that's what we experienced in the energy industries like you just mentioned.

New generation businessmen are geared towards profits and scheme's, otherwise they need to make fast profits at the behest of the long term industry security that was just sitting there like a ripened fruit waiting to be picked. They set there sites up on a get in and get out quick plan, otherwise like a whaler harpoon ship attacking a slumbering whale as it sails flawlessly through the waters until bam it never knew what hit it.

These new types of scoundrels are moved into position's in order to reek havock by implementing downsizing scheme's that generate huge profits where stalemates in the innovation and technology fields had peeked.

They are new managers with a 5 year plan before they bail out with their golden parachutes, and then leave a crippled company floundering in their wake.

Mitt Romney I heard was guilty of this with a company called "Bain capital" ??

Anyhow, what the practice has done is destroyed long held solid industries that this country needed to sustain onward for many reason's, including our national security in many cases. How is our overall security challenged in it all ? It's because when we take something and destroy it for greed, then we destroy long held jobs by quality proven citizen's, we destroy quality and control, product availability, customer service, emergency access by government if a national emergency occurs, community stability, and etc.

These scheme's for profit are operating at large in this COUNTRY, because this country has been reduced to this sort of thinking now. No respect is what it all boils down too, and America is paying a huge price literally speaking.

Exactly right, and that's what we experienced in the energy industries like you just mentioned.

New generation businessmen are geared towards profits and scheme's, otherwise they need to make fast profits at the behest of the long term industry security that was just sitting there like a ripened fruit waiting to be picked. They set there sites up on a get in and get out quick plan, otherwise like a whaler harpoon ship attacking a slumbering whale as it sails flawlessly through the waters until bam it never knew what hit it.
That’s not so much the biggest issue in the electric utility industry. The names on the office doors in the executive suite may change pretty regularly but the company name and stakeholders rarely change. NERC, FERC, and the state DPUs would not allow for that type of dealing.

What has changed since deregulation is the ability for companies to truly know what their costs will be. There are three parts of this industry… Generation, Transmission and Distribution. Now thst a single company can only be involved in any two of those three pieces, they have become beholden to at least one partner company for some vital part of their system. That means they have to be looking for ways to maximize the reliability and cost-effectiveness of what they do have.

Any company which includes distribution assets is particularly prone to this as distribution has the highest liability with the lowest return. Add the new requirements of the DPUs and local municipalities and they’re even more stressed to provide more with less.

Forum List

Back