Please, if you are going to post in here, do everybody a favor

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
And at least do some research, not only on your topic, but on correct debate/discussion FORM.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to go into a discussion that has potential to be really interesting, and see 2 or 3 rejects doing nothing but trolling and spinning, while proclaiming their superiority.

Here's the truth..you can't win a debate purely by being an asshole. Just because people don't engage with you doesn't mean you've made a point. And just because you've derailed the thread doesn't mean you're a fabulous conversationalist. It just means you're disruptive and probably not worth talking to.

For starters:

"Two intellectually-honest tactics
There are two intellectually-honest debate tactics:

1. pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts
2. pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic
That’s it. Simple! The dishonest list is much longer."

Intellectually-honest and intellectually-dishonest debate tactics

Point out errors in facts or logic, and that's it. Don't pose stupid questions meant to make a point that only you can decipher. Don't post repeatedly how stupid your opponent is. Don't declare victory or present a long-winded rant as *fact*. You just look like an idiot, and you bore everybody to death.

"Rules of debate
All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest. Generally, the federal rules of evidence of our courts attempt to make the argument or debate there intellectually honest. Roberts Rules of Order, which were written by my fellow West Point Graduate (Class of 1857) Henry Martyn Robert, are used to govern debate in many organization meetings. For example, one of Robert’s Rules, Number 43 says,

“It is not allowable to arraign the motives of a member, but the nature or consequences of a measure may be condemned in strong terms. It is not the man, but the measure, that is the subject of debate.”

Some debate organizations have rules like the Code of the Debater from the University of Virginia which says among other things:

“I will research my topic and know what I am talking about.

“I will be honest about my arguments and evidence and those of others.

The Federal Rules of Evidence are also excellent. Here is an excellent summary of them in the form of a Wikipedia list of objections to questions that lawyers can make in court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List of_objections_(law) Some Federal Rules of Evidence are technical and therefore do not apply outside of a court room, like beyond the scope which refers to the fact that in a cross examination, you cannot ask a question that does not relate to the other lawyer’s questions of the same witness during his direct examination."

this is the politics section where people post opinions from different perspectives.

facts are what they are despite anyone's opinion of them.

given a set of facts acknowledged by both sides, we can't 'debate' opinions...

just post your opinion and then maybe some info to back up your opinion and stop whining.

I don't disagree with you, koshergirl and though I'm new here, it seems to me that most of the posters aren't looking for genuine debate, you know? Isn't there a special forum for formal debate here where you must follow those rules?

I don't disagree with you, koshergirl and though I'm new here, it seems to me that most of the posters aren't looking for genuine debate, you know? Isn't there a special forum for formal debate here where you must follow those rules?
Clean debate zone might be better.

"Rules of debate
All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest. Generally, the federal rules of evidence of our courts attempt to make the argument or debate there intellectually honest. Roberts Rules of Order, which were written by my fellow West Point Graduate (Class of 1857) Henry Martyn Robert, are used to govern debate in many organization meetings. For example, one of Robert’s Rules, Number 43 says,

“It is not allowable to arraign the motives of a member, but the nature or consequences of a measure may be condemned in strong terms. It is not the man, but the measure, that is the subject of debate.”

Some debate organizations have rules like the Code of the Debater from the University of Virginia which says among other things:

“I will research my topic and know what I am talking about.

“I will be honest about my arguments and evidence and those of others.

The Federal Rules of Evidence are also excellent. Here is an excellent summary of them in the form of a Wikipedia list of objections to questions that lawyers can make in court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List of_objections_(law) Some Federal Rules of Evidence are technical and therefore do not apply outside of a court room, like beyond the scope which refers to the fact that in a cross examination, you cannot ask a question that does not relate to the other lawyer’s questions of the same witness during his direct examination."

One thing you neglected to mention....

The penalty for violating these rules is DEATH.

And at least do some research, not only on your topic, but on correct debate/discussion FORM.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to go into a discussion that has potential to be really interesting, and see 2 or 3 rejects doing nothing but trolling and spinning, while proclaiming their superiority.

Here's the truth..you can't win a debate purely by being an asshole. Just because people don't engage with you doesn't mean you've made a point. And just because you've derailed the thread doesn't mean you're a fabulous conversationalist. It just means you're disruptive and probably not worth talking to.

For starters:

Point out errors in facts or logic, and that's it. Don't pose stupid questions meant to make a point that only you can decipher. Don't post repeatedly how stupid your opponent is. Don't declare victory or present a long-winded rant as *fact*. You just look like an idiot, and you bore everybody to death.

I think you should take your own advice.

For starters:

When someone obsfucates, I put them on ignore.

Its why, though I'm left wing , I won't talk to far leftists. Obsfucation sucks.

ummm..... this *cough* FEEDBACK thread belongs in "Announcements & FEEDBACK sub-forum NOT Politics.

Last edited:
I've never thought of this place as a "debate" forum.

Seems like a pretty solid majority of the posts are personal insults, name calling, straw men and/or blatant partisan hyperbole.

Just sayin'.
Agreed and right on cue the post below yours from Mattie, proves it.

Loserterians do a hell of a lot of it...You don't like being called on your idiocy and that is why you're whining.
Whom are you addressing?

The idiots that want to be treated seriously even through their belief system is idiocy.

Liberterians are a joke! No fucking way should we deregulate and allow more corporate screwing of our people.

This isn't the board for professional debate. Go find somewhere else to go! This board is great because you can attack, cuss and attack some more!

Loserterians do a hell of a lot of it...You don't like being called on your idiocy and that is why you're whining.
And by the way, an excellent example of the personal insults, name calling and hyperbole to which I referred.

Go whine to mommy. Mother fucker! I spend most of my day in class taking college classes...I sure as fuck don't want to be professional here.

Forum List

Back