Playing at playing guitar

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I got my first guitar when I was 13, now I'm over 70 and can no longer wear jeans - my take on a line from Amanda by Waylon

The last month or so I've taken up, again, playing at playing a guitar and singing songs I like. A few I've written and many I didn't.

I really did get my first guitar at age 13. I had a buddy who could play a little and he taught me the chords to play Don't Be Angry With Me Darlin' by Stonewall Jackson. I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. fast forward to my time in the Navy, I got a guitar in Hong Kong because I worked with a couple of guys who were actually pretty good and learned a little more from them- I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. In my mid 20's I bought another guitar and started playing at it.

Lat month I bought 2 guitars- a Fender mahagony top dreadnought and a fender Parlor body

1588770996039.png

1588771104094.png

I'm really enjoying both. They do have different sound and different qualities. The Parlor body (bottom image) is easier for me to play.

I play country music. I'm not good enough (yet) to get into difficult stuff-

The top image I've changed out the Bridge and pins and sanded the bridge down to make the action lower.
The Bridge is Bone now and the Pins are brass.
I've ordered a set of Earl Ball Extra Light strings for the dreadnought. Hopefully they will make it easier for me to play.

We'll see.

The songs I'm currently playing at are:

I Cast No Stones- Cody Jinks

Sunday Mornin Coming Down- Kris Kristofferson

El Coyote - Kris Kristofferson

I play at a lot of other songs but those three are at the top of my list for getting right. I like, and try, to be bluesy in my attempts to make a song mine- my family (while somewhat bias) is amazed! at what I'm doing. My oldest son said he wants to make You Tube star of me- LOL. I just want to be pretty good at playing and singing.

I'm still trying to get the hang my 12 string. Really like the way it sounds versus the six string.

• Banned
I'm still learning- I went to a music shop last week and picked up an Alvarez Spruce top acoustic while shooting the bull- man that thing sounded awesome- 229 bucks- it's on my bucket list now.

I got the Earl Ball xtra light stings finally (took 10 days by USPS First Class mail which didn't make me too happy) and I'm not impressed. They don't project all that well for me - I don't use a pick- only thumb. The original Fender strings were much better on both guitars. Although I did like the D'adarrios on the dreadnought-

I'm still experimenting to find what compliments my style- when I say bluesy that doesn't mean I play Blues style guitar. I ain't that good. It means my singing style is bluesy-

Kinda like this but not near as good

I started right after I saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan show and have been hacking away nonstop ever since.

I got my first guitar when I was 13, now I'm over 70 and can no longer wear jeans - my take on a line from Amanda by Waylon

The last month or so I've taken up, again, playing at playing a guitar and singing songs I like. A few I've written and many I didn't.

I really did get my first guitar at age 13. I had a buddy who could play a little and he taught me the chords to play Don't Be Angry With Me Darlin' by Stonewall Jackson. I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. fast forward to my time in the Navy, I got a guitar in Hong Kong because I worked with a couple of guys who were actually pretty good and learned a little more from them- I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. In my mid 20's I bought another guitar and started playing at it.

Lat month I bought 2 guitars- a Fender mahagony top dreadnought and a fender Parlor body

View attachment 332670

View attachment 332671

I'm really enjoying both. They do have different sound and different qualities. The Parlor body (bottom image) is easier for me to play.

I play country music. I'm not good enough (yet) to get into difficult stuff-

The top image I've changed out the Bridge and pins and sanded the bridge down to make the action lower.
The Bridge is Bone now and the Pins are brass.
I've ordered a set of Earl Ball Extra Light strings for the dreadnought. Hopefully they will make it easier for me to play.

We'll see.

The songs I'm currently playing at are:

I Cast No Stones- Cody Jinks

Sunday Mornin Coming Down- Kris Kristofferson

El Coyote - Kris Kristofferson

I play at a lot of other songs but those three are at the top of my list for getting right. I like, and try, to be bluesy in my attempts to make a song mine- my family (while somewhat bias) is amazed! at what I'm doing. My oldest son said he wants to make You Tube star of me- LOL. I just want to be pretty good at playing and singing.
You might want to check out some of the setup info from a british luthier on YouTube named Sam Deeks. He makes a lot of sense. Since I'm pretty handy I've decided to take on my guitar and get the action a lot lower and less painful to play.
Like you I've recently picked up the guitar again in hopes of achieving some small amount of mastery over the beast.
My third attempt now but this time I'm going to take the instrument itself out of the list of stumbling blocks. I might not have any musical talent but I'm at least handy and feel confident enough in my abilities to take setting up my guitar on.
BTW price and brand seem to have no effect on crappy instrument setups. It seems it's not economically viable to setup every guitar optimally at any price point.
If you can build a bird house you can probably setup your guitar the way this guy does it.

Heading out this morning IF the store is open and get that Alvarez IF he still has it- if not I guess I'll be crying in the beer I don't drink-

I started right after I saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan
Man- you're old. I remember that.
Beatles, Kinks, Stones, he had them all,,,, and first! Low budget first song>>>

So do I. I actually got a head start on the Beatles thing as I met a friend in my sophomore year of high school who had recently returned from living in England for a while. He had the long hair and all. Not very popular in South Carolina at that time. LOL That's about when I started in on the guitar and we had a little garage band going. I think my first song was either Louie Louie or House of the Rising Sun.
A bit later on I was turned on to Brazilian boss nova mosty Jobim and other jazz players like Wes Montgomery, and Kenny Burrell. This is when I discovered how much of a shitty, no talent hack I really was. Well outside of C, Am, F & G territory anyway. I got really busy in the AirForce so put the guitar down for a lot of years. Shortly after I retired a friend gave me a guitar for Christmas so I took another crack at it. Moved up here got busy so put it down again. Then recently decided to take another crack at it.
I've always played mostly arch top hollowbody electrics for that jazz tone. Previously Gretch and currently Ibanez or solid body electrics and bass, all Fender products.

Last edited:
Heading out this morning IF the store is open and get that Alvarez IF he still has it- if not I guess I'll be crying in the beer I don't drink-
He had already sold it- :102:
Bummer!
There's gotta be one out there with your name on it somewhere.
Given the fact that you've recently bought two other guitars, you're not suffering from GAS are ya? It's a constant battle with me.

Last edited:
So do I. I actually got a head start on the Beatles thing as I met a friend in my sophomore year of high school who had recently returned from living in England for a while. He had the long hair and all. Not very popular in South Carolina at that time. LOL That's about when I started in on the guitar and we had a little garage band going. I think my first song was either Louie Louie or House of the Rising Sun.
A bit later on I was turned on to Brazilian boss nova mosty Jobim and other jazz players like Wes Montgomery, and Kenny Burrell. This is when I discovered how much of a shitty, no talent hack I really was. Well outside of C, Am, F & G territory anyway. I got really busy in the AirForce so put the guitar down for a lot of years. Shortly after I retired a friend gave me a guitar for Christmas so I took another crack at it. Moved up here got busy so put it down again. Then recently decided to take another crack at it.
I've always played mostly arch top hollowbody electrics for that jazz tone. Previously Gretch and currently Ibanez or solid body electrics and bass, all Fender products.

I had no head start and still a military haircut! No Beatle shoes or hair for this kid, "what would the neighbors think"

I

I had no head start and still a military haircut! No Beatle shoes or hair for this kid, "what would the neighbors think"
I never had my hair very long till I got out of the AF. Even then it wasn't what you'd call long, like shoulder length or anything just in step with the then fashion so to speak. Just a bit over the ear. Can't find a pic right now or I'd post it. I think the only reason I let it get even that long was because I'd recently gotten out of the AF so no one could ride my ass about it. When it starts rubbing on my ear it starts annoying the hell out of me now and I head out for the barbershop.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back