Players Not Wanting To Play In Bowl Games.....And Now Cancellations.....Bowl Games Have Lost Their Luster

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
5zcdqq.jpg

Let's face it.....there are too many bowl games.
Players are opting out and abandoning their teams to prevent injuries.
Games are being cancelled due to COVID.

What's the point.

But the Servpro First Responder Bowl is playing. Paying only $800,000 to be split between the teams. (Air Force and Louisville)

However, UCLA just bowed out today, backing out at the last minute on over a $6 million payout to the schools. (Holiday Bowl)
The problem is they tightened up on the protocols in CA and so they decided not to play, even though the Holiday bowl parade had already taken place in San Diego. Now all of those people that paid to see one of the most exciting games in the bowl season have to turn around and get on a jet back home. UCLA only had to take a bus. NC State flew.

I really think these bowl games have gotten ridiculous. Most of the games have next to nobody in the stands.

Making it to a bowl is meaningless these days. Now that they have a playoffs....the games mean nothing. I think they need to change the structure....make the bowl games championship games or rivalry games. There just isn't much incentive to go out and risk injury so that the school can get paid. Players aren't willing to do it as much as they used to.

Last edited:
Potential NFL Draft picks do not want to risk their career on a meaningless Bowl Game

View attachment 580843

Let's face it.....there are too many bowl games.
Players are opting out and abandoning their teams to prevent injuries.
Games are being cancelled due to COVID.

What's the point.

But the Servpro First Responder Bowl is playing. Paying only $800,000 to be split between the teams. (Air Force and Louisville)

However, UCLA just bowed out today, backing out at the last minute on over a $6 million payout to the schools. (Holiday Bowl)
The problem is they tightened up on the protocols in CA and so they decided not to play, even though the Holiday bowl parade had already taken place in San Diego. Now all of those people that paid to see one of the most exciting games in the bowl season have to turn around and get on a jet back home. UCLA only had to take a bus. NC State flew.

I really think these bowl games have gotten ridiculous. Most of the games have next to nobody in the stands.

Making it to a bowl is meaningless these days. Now that they have a playoffs....the games mean nothing. I think they need to change the structure....make the bowl games championship games or rivalry games. There just isn't much incentive to go out and risk injury so that the school can get paid. Players aren't willing to do it as much as they used to.
Yep, they have lost their luster. I get why the athletes are choosing this route. They need to not take chances of getting hurt when a big paycheck is just around the corner. It just sucks for the fan. How ever this is how free market s work. People must act in their own self interests. I guess we wanna enjoy the game s we gotta anti up and maybe pay for insurance for them in case they get hurt. I know if I am an NFL scout opting out of the bowl game is something I would consider when determining wether to draft them and in what round to draft them in .

This is fairly easy to at least partially address. They get a free ride to play football. If they refuse they are responsible for paying for their education.

Yep, they have lost their luster. I get why the athletes are choosing this route. They need to not take chances of getting hurt when a big paycheck is just around the corner. It just sucks for the fan. How ever this is how free market s work. People must act in their own self interests. I guess we wanna enjoy the game s we gotta anti up and maybe pay for insurance for them in case they get hurt. I know if I am an NFL scout opting out of the bowl game is something I would consider when determining wether to draft them and in what round to draft them in .
Years ago players thought of the team first.
Now they're making an investment in their futures.
Personally.....I wouldn't pick anyone who quit on his team.

Years ago players thought of the team first.
Now they're making an investment in their futures.
Personally.....I wouldn't pick anyone who quit on his team.
Yep, it would certainly effect my draft day decisions. That is the beauty of free market. If the scouts think like you and I do on this then the players will quit doing it

Yep, it would certainly effect my draft day decisions. That is the beauty of free market. If the scouts think like you and I do on this then the players will quit doing it

Damaged goods drop in the Draft

Even if you “took one for the team”

Damaged goods drop in the Draft

Even if you “took one for the team”
Thing is you are damaged goods if you don't care about the team. Football is 11 men working for a common goal. One guy does not do his job bad shit happens. Gotta be able to trust your brother. I don't trust a guy that does not show up. Character matters. This is from a guy that my draft status in baseball was effected because I had a problem with the bottle. I would give anything to go back and correct that but is too late. I got what I deserve. They will also eventually.

Thing is you are damaged goods if you don't care about the team. Football is 11 men working for a common goal. One guy does not do his job bad shit happens. Gotta be able to trust your brother. I don't trust a guy that does not show up. Character matters. This is from a guy that my draft status in baseball was effected because I had a problem with the bottle. I would give anything to go back and correct that but is too late. I got what I deserve. They will also eventually.
Football is a business. Even at the College level

If you think playing in the Buttfuk.com Bowl against a team that isn’t in the top 100 will help your draft prospects……you play

Football is a business. Even at the College level

If you think playing in the Buttfuk.com Bowl against a team that isn’t in the top 100 will help your draft prospects……you play
Gotta do what ya think is best I am saying if I am the scout and you do not play in it I am going to veiw you as a character problem. I am sure there are scouts in the NFL that will think the same thing. The future will tell if it was a smart move or not. I wanna know that my left tackle will put it all on the line for my qb. My qb better be a leader of men. Leader s show up

The thing that gets me about these assholes is how they all give the same speech when they opt out of playing in their bowl. They all say how grateful they are to their team and coaches and their great fans for giving them the opportunity to grow and excel. Grateful? These losers don't know the first thing about being appreciative or grateful. They all took more than they gave. I wouldn't trust this kind of guy if I were a GM.

This always reminds me of listening to the millionaire players grapple with the billionaire owners, as both appeal to the masses on how unfair it all is.

Given how the modern system is set up, the idea of being some iron titan for your school is obsolete, a fool's errand. How well your team does in college has little stock in evaluating a player for the NFL draft.

These schools make absolute BANK from these players, who play for free while NCAA suits rake in millions all while preaching about the purities of amateur sport... it's so insulting to the intelligence.

A player shouldn't be demonized for not playing in a meaningless bowl game if they have NFL talent that they want to pursue. If doing so makes you mad, you need to direct your anger towards the system, not the player.

Forum List

Back