Planned obsolescence.....$600 electric mower junked - no parts

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
TL;DR - Guy buys a $600 kobalt electric mower. The piece that attaches the blade to the motor is a plastic fan/blade mount affair.

He hits something while mowing which sheers off the plastic "pins" holding the blade in place.

This is an obvious part which would break under the stress of hitting something, I guess it was designed to.

Oh look, Kobalt/Lowes doesn't sell that replacement part.

The environment wins!

I realize her business cant do it due to liability but I would just drill 2 holes and install 2 small aluminum machine screws and use it.

It looks like someone cross referenced it in the comments section with a Greenworks mower (that makes the Kolbalt mower) for a part. But hell most folks would not know how to do that.

So many people are ignorant is an excuse for something? I have one just like that. This will be my 4th year on it I believe. I love it. It's lightweight, it's quieter than a regular mower and here shortly, I throw the battery in it and start cutting with no oil or plug change.

I have a cheaper Kobalt mower, for where the tractor can't reach and the front yard near the house. Mine cost $170 five years ago and still runs fine. I think it's a little heavy for an electric though. Mine doesn't have a battery, it runs from a 100' extension cord. I have outdoor plugs around the place. I don't like the battery powered ones, they're even heavier. We had a cheap Honda electric we got from Home Depot back in the 1980's. It lasted until we bought this one. It was a lot lighter; wished they still made that one.

So many people are ignorant is an excuse for something? I have one just like that. This will be my 4th year on it I believe. I love it. It's lightweight, it's quieter than a regular mower and here shortly, I throw the battery in it and start cutting with no oil or plug change.
LOL....I suspect that you better keep track of that part number in the comment section.

Better yet just exchange it for a new one before the 5-year warranty runs out. ;)

LOL....I suspect that you better keep track of that part number in the comment section.

Better yet just exchange it for a new one before the 5-year warranty runs out. ;)

Already covered.

but I would just drill 2 holes and install 2 small aluminum machine screws and use it.

Big Box Stores are notorious for not carrying parts or doing any sort of maintenance or having a service department.

Yes, you can do business with them for big ticket items...but if it breaks you need someone else.
I would never buy a big ticket item of a store brand. It's asking for thousands of wasted money due to a $2 part. (Unless you are a machinist/engineer and can make anything out of metal. ) in this case it was $600.

I've been looking at zero turn lawnmowers lately. Service and parts are crucial when you spend this kind of money on a lawnmower. (It's a big lawnmower for big 1+ acre lawns) gas, oil, transmissions, belts, blades, and other parts need to be replaced over the years....it's not a game with these.

An electric lawnmower is something for postage stamp sized lawns. I used to have a house with one that small in a subdivision. A neighbor had an electric with extension cords. I didn't even go electric. I went pure manual rotary cutting blade type. (Super old school) My neighbors went crazy at first...thought I was nuts for using it. But my lawnmower didn't need starting and it was really easy. It also gave a great cut on the lawn. Good tracks and no rough edges....ever.
It was lousy with the tall stuff so you had to keep it mowed regularly or else. But I didn't really care....I kinda liked mowing my lawn.
A $600 electric? I think the guy with the gas lawn tractor spent that on his....but his wife hated the lawn tractor and it took up a LOT of space in their garage.