Honda and GM SCRAP $5 billion plan to develop more affordable electric vehicles – after Ford boss warned eco cars had become a ‘political football’

Sounds very impressive. The market should respond very favorably to a vehicle with 700 miles per charge. There should be no need for government mandates.
Yea, battery technology has only started, with all the research being invested, long life charge cycles and fast charge times will be here someday, just like personal computers were once a rarity, and I do remember when a desktop cost over $2500.00 and you couldn't talk on your phone when using it, batteries will continue to evolve.

There is no "death of the EV", as some people shriek about.

You're citing an outlet named "Yahoo Finance"? ...

What's disturbing is I actually give this a level of credibility ... just something about the name kinda slapped me in the face this morning ...

Right ... they ain't building EVs for $30,000 retail ... we're looking at $100,000 stripped ... such that $50,000 for a new battery pack after 8 years is a great bargain ... we're already spending that much on the XJ-12 every year ...

Can't afford to keep a Ferrari on the road, then an EV isn't for you ... that's what bus service is for ...

Yea, battery technology has only started, with all the research being invested, long life charge cycles and fast charge times will be here someday, just like personal computers were once a rarity, and I do remember when a desktop cost over $2500.00 and you couldn't talk on your phone when using it, batteries will continue to evolve.

There is no "death of the EV", as some people shriek about.
Another rant without facts.
EV sales are falling way below forecast done by the industry just a couple years ago.
The growth has nearly stagnated.
All of the previous growth was by EV enthusiast, the industry predicted that non enthusiast would follow and EV sales would climb.
It hasn't happened. Year over year sales growth is in the single digits.
And here is where you post up an impressive chart you Googled... and yes that chart shows sales are still climbing - but the market share is barely moving. You will find articles with impressive claims - but those articles are made by EV enthusiast - not by market analyst and manufacturers.

Silly man, Toyota is developing a solid state battery that has a 700 mile range and takes 10-15 minutes for a full charge.

It's just getting started, and when everyone wants an EV, everyone will make one.
Fine, so like I've been saying let EV technology develop to the point that it is practical to deploy on a global scale. It is decades away from that point now.

Both makers in early 2022 developed plans to expand EV production.... both makers canceled those plans.

To boot - GM also postponing, probably canceling opening a second factory to produce EV trucks -

GM is expanding and now releasing Hydrogen fuel cells -

Is this the beginning of the end of the inevitable death of the EV?
Scrapping the joint effort. GM still hasn't come to an agreement with the UAW, either. GM is putting profits over long term survival.

Both makers in early 2022 developed plans to expand EV production.... both makers canceled those plans.

To boot - GM also postponing, probably canceling opening a second factory to produce EV trucks -

There would be even more of a depressed market for the stupid EV things if if wasn't for ill conceived government fleet sales.

I hope so, EVs pollute way more than gas vehicles.

Silly man, Toyota is developing a solid state battery that has a 700 mile range and takes 10-15 minutes for a full charge.

It's just getting started, and when everyone wants an EV, everyone will make one.
Is the battery recyclable? If not, it pollutes more than any other solution.

I still can't believe Dodge discontinued the Charger and Challenger. These companies will have to feel the pain before they get realigned to the actual market. It's bizarre.

There would be even more of a depressed market for the stupid EV things if if wasn't for ill conceived government fleet sales.
Yes.
Two things -
1) The virtue signaling government involvement only increased the problem of "buyers regret". There are a 10,000 videos and post on social media by early adopters who are now stuck with a $800/mo. payment on a vehicle that they can only marginally use. They were not ready for sale.
2) It was politicized. Democrats made it a moral measure to support the technology. This exacerbated the problem also. People ran out to buy one without any realistic way to use it properly. I saw a video of a Oregon older couple that made the big mistake of buying two EVs... they have no gas car now. So they are now renting a gas car to visit family because there are no charging stations on the routes they need to take.

That produced conservatives to look at them like they are a joke. Laughing at them in the same manner as laughing at mask wearers.

In reality - they are not ready for prime time - but the government and liberal enthusiasm encouraged manufacturers to make them anyway.

Also in reality - MOST CONSERVATIVES are well aware that ICE vehicles need to go. Whether it is EV or hydrogen - it would be better to get off of fossil fuels. But we are not so stupid as to pay $$$$$ for a car we cannot properly use.

Yes.
Two things -
1) The virtue signaling government involvement only increased the problem of "buyers regret". There are a 10,000 videos and post on social media by early adopters who are now stuck with a $800/mo. payment on a vehicle that they can only marginally use. They were not ready for sale.
2) It was politicized. Democrats made it a moral measure to support the technology. This exacerbated the problem also. People ran out to buy one without any realistic way to use it properly. I saw a video of a Oregon older couple that made the big mistake of buying two EVs... they have no gas car now. So they are now renting a gas car to visit family because there are no charging stations on the routes they need to take.

That produced conservatives to look at them like they are a joke. Laughing at them in the same manner as laughing at mask wearers.

In reality - they are not ready for prime time - but the government and liberal enthusiasm encouraged manufacturers to make them anyway.

Also in reality - MOST CONSERVATIVES are well aware that ICE vehicles need to go. Whether it is EV or hydrogen - it would be better to get off of fossil fuels. But we are not so stupid as to pay $$$$$ for a car we cannot properly use.
My son has lost a ton of money on his Tesla.

He bought it with the expectations of driving it for about three years and then trading it in and getting close to what he paid for it. It cost him $65K.

Then the price of the Tesla's dropped nation wide with the government tax incentive. Then he had a little accident with it (not his fault). They decided to repair it instead of total, which is rare for a Tesla. Although the vehicle will be fine after repair it will show up on the record and nobody will want to buy it. He said he would be lucky to to get $15-18K trade in on a $65K vehicle, three years old.

All the things you say are true. L-I was never good technology to start with but all the idiot Environmental Wackos wanted to get one to, you know, "save the planet".

My son was not an Environmental Wacko. He actually though it would be a great investment at the time he bought it. He was wrong and now admits it.

A great investment in a vehicle? Buy a Honda or Toyota ICE and service it properly. It will last a long time and have great trade in value.

The Climate Elites are so stupid, they don't realize the EV chargers rely on fossil fuels that keeps the grid powered. Or perhaps they know and are deliberately lying to the people. Nah that couldn't be it. :abgg2q.jpg:
The idiots always refuse to acknowledge it, don't they?

My son has lost a ton of money on his Tesla.

He bought it with the expectations of driving it for about three years and then trading it in and getting close to what he paid for it. It cost him $65K.

Then the price of the Tesla's dropped nation wide with the government tax incentive. Then he had a little accident with it (not his fault). They decided to repair it instead of total, which is rare for a Tesla. Although the vehicle will be fine after repair it will show up on the record and nobody will want to buy it. He said he would be lucky to to get $15-18K trade in on a $65 vehicle, three years old.

All the things you say are true. L-I was never good technology to start with but all the idiot Environmental Wackos wanted to get one to, you know, "save the planet".

My son was not an Environmental Wacko. He actually though it would be a great investment at the time he bought it. He was wrong and now admits it.

A great investment in a vehicle? Buy a Honda or Toyota ICE and service it properly. It will last a long time and have great trade in value.

My hubby has a 2019 Tundra. 22400 miles. He's been offered more than we paid for it

The Climate Elites are so stupid, they don't realize the EV chargers rely on fossil fuels that keeps the grid powered. Or perhaps they know and are deliberately lying to the people. Nah that couldn't be it. :abgg2q.jpg:
Add to that, the cost of having a level 2 charger at home.
First, you better have 200 amp service as the charger requires about 50 amps. Most older homes have only 100 amp service. So in addition to the cost of a faster charger, you may be on the hook for an upgrade to 200amp if your neighborhood actually has the infrastructure for 200a.
We just upgraded to 200amp because our 100amp box fried. Cost, 8,200 bucks.
That would be in addition to the cost of installation of level 2 charger.

Add to that, the cost of having a level 2 charger at home.
First, you better have 200 amp service as the charger requires about 50 amps. Most older homes have only 100 amp service. So in addition to the cost of a faster charger, you may be on the hook for an upgrade to 200amp if your neighborhood actually has the infrastructure for 200a.
We just upgraded to 200amp because our 100amp box fried. Cost, 8,200 bucks.
That would be in addition to the cost of installation of level 2 charger.
Worse - manufacturers recommend to install a separate service box than to use a homes existing service.
It's one thing if your garage burns down.. another for your garage and house to burn down.
Not to mention - 47% of homes in the Unites States - HAVE NO GARAGE.
And apartment dwellers obviously have no garage either.

Forum List

Back