Pistol caliber carbines

I have two levers in pistol caliber, both Uberti, both in .357, both carbines. One is 1892 model, the other is 1873.

Both are light, easy to handle tack-hammers (even with my middlin' marksmanship) with negligible recoil.

I am slightly more partial to the 1873 ... the straight-in feed is less likely to jam than the feed up 1892.
.357 would be a good choice if there had to be one.
yeah I was looking at something bigger than a 9mm. The .45 ACP is the one I'm leaning towards.

Home defense? Just a thought, you might not want a round that passes through walls into room where there might be family you don't want to shoot.

A shotgun alleviates some of that risk.
Like I said my wife isn't comfortable with my shotgun

Low recoil, faster muzzle velocities and hollow point rounds sound like a good home defense weapon
They also travel through walls and across the street and demand pinpoint accuracy

and unless your wife is proficient a semi-auto rifle or handgun is more difficult to use under stress and more prone to accidental discharge

if a 12 ga intimidates her get a 20 ga break barrel with external hammer

home invaders will run away at first sight of a shotgun and she wont even have to fire it

Low recoil, faster muzzle velocities and hollow point rounds sound like a good home defense weapon
They also travel through walls and across the street and demand pinpoint accuracy

and unless your wife is proficient a semi-auto rifle or handgun is more difficult to use under stress and more prone to accidental discharge

home invaders will run away at first sight of a shotgun and she wont even have to fire it

I don't worry about a hollow point or any round penetrating walls. I live in the middle of an 8 acre plot and have no neighbors within eyesight.

And my wife is a dead shot at 15 yards with a .380.

Does anyone ere have any experience with a PCC?

I'm trying to see the downside of one of these for home defense.

The AR 9 takes glock magazines, so it could be handy if you already have a glock.

I like the 12 gauge for home defense, it clears out a room pretty fast...
Hard to beat a shotgun for that.
I agree. My wife doesn't like the shotgun though.
Then why would she like a rifle? If home defense is a real, present danger, and if she is petite as women often are, a .22 or .25 for her would be something effective at close range and easy for a small person to handle.
A PCC isn't really a rifle

I am slightly more partial to the 1873 ... the straight-in feed is less likely to jam than the feed up 1892.
'Less likely to jam'. Words to strike fear into anyone relying on a weapon.

Lever rifles can be notoriously picky eaters. Either .357 and .38 can be fired, but a shorter .38 round will jam my 1892 after a few shots. The longer, proper length .357 round will feed without a hitch.

Find the gun food your piece likes to eat and stick to it.

I don't worry about a hollow point or any round penetrating walls. I live in the middle of an 8 acre plot and have no neighbors within eyesight.

Since you already made up your mind why did you start the thread?

I haven't already made up my mind I said i was leaning towards one. I will not have made up my mind until I actually decide to buy one.

I was looking for negatives that I might not be seeing.

....sure, at non-threatening, non-moving-unarmed targets...it's a fact that police miss A LOT in real life situations...that's a problem for a lot of issues = people don't think realistically

....M1911A1s do not like criminals ...they terminate with extreme prejudice

I haven't already made up my mind I said i was leaning towards one. I will not have made up my mind until I actually decide to buy one.

.....home defense..well....what would be a realistic situation where you are at? inside the house usually means home defense....but I would think the majority of encounters [ near the home ] with jackasses would be outside the house......and what would the jackasses be armed with?

.....home defense..well....what would be a realistic situation where you are at? inside the house usually means home defense....but I would think the majority of encounters [ near the home ] with jackasses would be outside the house......and what would the jackasses be armed with?

I don't see that it is very likely that a bunch of armed people will lay siege to my home where I would be shooting back at them over distances of more than 50 yards.

Realistically the only time I think I would shoot anyone is if they actually broke in to my house.

..the Miami Dade Shooting was a realistic incident which gives examples of much of what is talked about in the thread
..stopping power/etc.....
''''''In the aftermath, the FBI initially chose the Smith & Wesson 1076 chambered for the 10mm Auto round, but its sharp recoil proved too much for most agents to control effectively, and a special reduced velocity loading was developed - commonly referred to as the "10mm Lite" or "10mm FBI"''''''

..the Miami Dade Shooting was a realistic incident which gives examples of much of what is talked about in the thread
''''''In the aftermath, the FBI initially chose the Smith & Wesson 1076 chambered for the 10mm Auto round, but its sharp recoil proved too much for most agents to control effectively, and a special reduced velocity loading was developed - commonly referred to as the "10mm Lite" or "10mm FBI"''''''

What are the odds of that happening at my house?

I don't see that it is very likely that a bunch of armed people will lay siege to my home where I would be shooting back at them over distances of more than 50 yards.

Realistically the only time I think I would shoot anyone is if they actually broke in to my house.
.....well, I would always say go with the pistol for inside the home...I can see how the article says the rifle is more accurate, and it is .....but, we go back to the realism issue:
--would you really be holding up the rifle aiming in at a jackass, or keeping it at the low carry? it's going to be a dynamic, confusing,etc situation at first...I don't see myself getting out of bed, shower, etc and immediately putting the rifle at the aiming position
---and here's the key = much faster to bring the pistol up to a GOOD aiming position = especially in a dynamic situation

.....well, I would always say go with the pistol for inside the home...I can see how the article says the rifle is more accurate, and it is .....but, we go back to the realism issue:
--would you really be holding up the rifle aiming in at a jackass, or keeping it at the low carry? it's going to be a dynamic, confusing,etc situation at first...I don't see myself getting our of bed, shower, etc putting the rifle at the aiming position
---and here's the key = much faster to bring the pistol up to a GOOD aiming position = especially in a dynamic situation

That's the idea behind using a pistol caliber carbine. It's a shoulder fired weapon with a longer barrel than a pistol but usually shorter than a rifle or shotgun. So you get a higher muzzle velocity that you would from a pistol with very little recoil and better accuracy

What are the odds of that happening at my house?
no--not what I meant - the point is it talks about stopping power/etc

--would you really be holding up the rifle aiming in at a jackass, or keeping it at the low carry? it's going to be a dynamic, confusing,etc situation at first...I don't see myself getting our of bed, shower, etc putting the rifle at the aiming position

That's the idea behind using a pistol caliber carbine. It's a shoulder fired weapon with a longer barrel than a pistol but usually shorter than a rifle or shotgun. So you get a higher muzzle velocity that you would from a pistol with very little recoil and better accuracy
....yes--and post # 37 explains it takes longer to get the rifle into a good shooting position--if you're in ''''immediate'' danger

Forum List

Back