pic drThe straight-washing of “Ben-Hur”: Remake of the ’59 drops gay subtext

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Wow, they whitewashed Ben Hur. Poor Heston never got it.

The straight-washing of “Ben-Hur”: Remake of the ’59 epic drops gay subtext — and beefs up religious themes

The new “Ben-Hur” is yet another example of queer narratives in entertainment being erased for popular consumption

Judah Ben-Hur’s sexuality has been hotly debated for decades, but a new film is pushing him firmly back into the closet. A new remake of the 1959 William Wyler-directed swords-and-sandals epic “Ben-Hur,” which starred Charlton Heston in the title role of a nobleman turned slave who defeats an empire, is playing down the character’s subtextual homosexuality. Toby Kebbell (“Fantastic Four”), who takes over for Stephen Boyd as Messala, told press at the film’s premiere that such themes were no longer necessary to unpack.

“In 1959, the gay context was very important,” he said. “They need a voice. You shouldn’t have to hide in the dark about something you feel and you’ve grown with. That was their own thing they wanted to portray and we didn’t need to.”
<more>

There was no gay subtheme in the BenHur done in 1959. Judah and Messala were boyhood friends. Judah was in love with, and remained true to Esther. Sounds like Toby Whatshisface is the one unpacking a gay fixation.

There was no gay subtheme in the BenHur done in 1959. Judah and Messala were boyhood friends. Judah was in love with, and remained true to Esther. Sounds like Toby Whatshisface is the one unpacking a gay fixation.
The screenwriter said their was. You and Heston didn't get it.

I've seen BenHur several times. If the screenwriter wanted me to believe the characters were gay, then he failed as a writer.

I've seen BenHur several times. If the screenwriter wanted me to believe the characters were gay, then he failed as a writer.
Read the article at the link I posted. I didn't post the entire thing. It explains what you didn't get.

Read the article at the link I posted. I didn't post the entire thing. It explains what you didn't get.
There is nothing for me to "get". The movie failed to convey a gay subtheme. I'm not watching it wrong because I'm don't search for gayness that isn't there!

I guess boyhood friendship is always gay according to some. Never mind the bond that forms in battle among brothers in arms.

There was no gay subtheme in the BenHur done in 1959. Judah and Messala were boyhood friends. Judah was in love with, and remained true to Esther. Sounds like Toby Whatshisface is the o ne unpacking a gay fixation.
The gay subtext was suddenly discovered by gays. It would never have been dreamed of in 1959.

The fags will make up any shit they want to and the facts dont matter at all.

I guess boyhood friendship is always gay according to some. Never mind the bond that forms in battle among brothers in arms.
Why didnt you know that for centuries soldiers have been secretly butt fucking each other in their pup tents?

Read it in Salon.

I do not give a shit about "gay" one way or the other... But "gay" does not make the world go around, in fact "gay" cannot prolong society… LOL

Wow, they whitewashed Ben Hur. Poor Heston never got it.

The straight-washing of “Ben-Hur”: Remake of the ’59 epic drops gay subtext — and beefs up religious themes

The new “Ben-Hur” is yet another example of queer narratives in entertainment being erased for popular consumption

Judah Ben-Hur’s sexuality has been hotly debated for decades, but a new film is pushing him firmly back into the closet. A new remake of the 1959 William Wyler-directed swords-and-sandals epic “Ben-Hur,” which starred Charlton Heston in the title role of a nobleman turned slave who defeats an empire, is playing down the character’s subtextual homosexuality. Toby Kebbell (“Fantastic Four”), who takes over for Stephen Boyd as Messala, told press at the film’s premiere that such themes were no longer necessary to unpack.

“In 1959, the gay context was very important,” he said. “They need a voice. You shouldn’t have to hide in the dark about something you feel and you’ve grown with. That was their own thing they wanted to portray and we didn’t need to.”
<more>

To gays there is no such thing as childhood friends. All friendships are gay relationships.

Forum List

Back