Physicists Have Captured the First Spectral Fingerprints of Antimatter

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

It’s been about nine months since a team of CERN researchers succeeded in their goal of measuring the spectrum of light emitted from hydrogen’s mirror particle, antihydrogen. They were just getting started. Now the researchers have detailed evidence of the structure of antihydrogen using spectroscopy, setting a landmark in our quest to determine why there is something in the Universe rather than nothing.

Led by Canadian researchers under what’s called the ALPHA Collaboration, the first detailed observation of “home made” antihydrogen’s structure has shown its spectral lines are virtually identical to those of hydrogen.

Had they been even slightly different this would be quite a different story, one heralding a crack in our models on the Universe that could reveal why it looks the way it does.

Some real science for the science area!

You know, this kinda scares me a bit, because can you imagine the kind of weapons you could make with an anti matter bomb?
and you just know that someone will be working to do just that.....

Well, when the airplane was first developed, all it was used for was recon and to check enemy positions from the air. Then, someone got the bright idea to drop a stick of dynamite from the aircraft and then planes became a full on offensive weapon.

Prior to that, soldiers on the ground would wave to the pilots and the pilots would wave back.

It’s been about nine months since a team of CERN researchers succeeded in their goal of measuring the spectrum of light emitted from hydrogen’s mirror particle, antihydrogen. They were just getting started. Now the researchers have detailed evidence of the structure of antihydrogen using spectroscopy, setting a landmark in our quest to determine why there is something in the Universe rather than nothing.

Led by Canadian researchers under what’s called the ALPHA Collaboration, the first detailed observation of “home made” antihydrogen’s structure has shown its spectral lines are virtually identical to those of hydrogen.

Had they been even slightly different this would be quite a different story, one heralding a crack in our models on the Universe that could reveal why it looks the way it does.

The search for dark matter is also heating up. In the next ten years they'll figure that out and we may very well have a unified theory of the universe and for the first time understand exactly what it is and how it works. And it will likely be way beyond any bizarre thing we have imagined yet. They know empty space isn't empty space, it is something. I think it a field or matrix. And since the universe is ever expanding that means new 'empty space' is being created at an incredible rate. From what? These things are now on the list of things that can be uncovered and we'll likely soon know the place in detail.

For those who think such knowledge might be used for nefarious purposes that is possible. The Nazis had a program where they were trying to figure out how to tunnel to the center of the Earth and set off an explosion that would destroy the Earth. They operated on the idea that if they weren't going to rule the world and had to die then everyone else had to die as well.

You know, if they have succeeded in getting a "spectral fingerprint", then it's just a matter of time before they have the actual stuff.

And, considering what science fiction writers have said about anti matter, it's pretty dangerous stuff and can wipe out lots of area and people quickly.

Well that's good to know or we would have to tear up a LOT of physics literature.

upload_2017-8-5_13-1-46.png

Observation of the hyperfine spectrum of antihydrogen : Nature : Nature Research ~ Nature

Ah it was antihydrogen. I was wondering about where the positrons were.

Sweet & Thank You!

Wager,

$10 donation to the server says that Dark Matter is simply matter that interacts with us via gravity from extra-spatial directions.

Meh. Let me know when it cost under a billion a gram right now I believe the current estimated to be around 25 billion.

Wager,

$10 donation to the server says that Dark Matter is simply matter that interacts with us via gravity from extra-spatial directions.
I believe dark matter is just matter from the multiverse. We can't see it but it does have some effect on our universe.

You know, this kinda scares me a bit, because can you imagine the kind of weapons you could make with an anti matter bomb?

Well, when the airplane was first developed, all it was used for was recon and to check enemy positions from the air. Then, someone got the bright idea to drop a stick of dynamite from the aircraft and then planes became a full on offensive weapon.

Prior to that, soldiers on the ground would wave to the pilots and the pilots would wave back.
They still do, have you never seen a pilot tip their wings ?

Not in the middle of a combat zone. Yeah, I've seen them tip their wings to friendlies, but never hostiles.

Not in the middle of a combat zone. Yeah, I've seen them tip their wings to friendlies, but never hostiles.
I have after they fucked them up.

There's an A-10 strafing range on FLW, and my humble home out in the country is in their direct flight path. Every now and then they fly low enough and see me waving. That's a beautiful moment right there, and one I'll always appreciate.

There's an A-10 strafing range on FLW, and my humble home out in the country is in their direct flight path. Every now and then they fly low enough and see me waving. That's a beautiful moment right there, and one I'll always appreciate.
Went to the range back in my Army days and had a few doing strafing runs directly over our heads it was indescribably fucking awesome.

Went to the range back in my Army days and had a few doing strafing runs directly over our heads it was indescribably fucking awesome.

Unfortunately, I was in the wrong service to be able to see an A-10 do a strafing run. I would have loved to have seen their cannon go off and watch things go "boom".

However.................I HAVE had the good fortune to be able to watch FA-18 pilots do strafing runs on targets out at sea while stationed with a squadron.

And.................during the Beruit crisis back in '83 and '84, I was fortunate to be in the area when the USS IOWA was cruising over there, and I got to see a battleship fire it's big ass guns. Now THAT was impressive!

Forum List

Back