Pet names for cars

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
Back at 7, I went along with my sister on quite a few coursemarker-gimmick rallies in her Cortina, mostly in Mountain View, CA. We'd end at Shakey's for pizza and trophies.

? Gimmick course marker car rallyes (rallies), San Francisco Bay Area? ? other---cars-&-transportation ? cars-&-transportation ? Kopea

Her boyfriend, Chuck, never came, but years later when I got my learner's permit, he helped me buy a 1967 Volvo 122S, and while I was in the Air Force, I named it the Brown Cruz. The boyfriend had a 1961 VW Bus and a 50's Alfa.

The name my sister had for her Cortina was Stewart, probably given in the 60's.

I'm sorry I had to part ways with my Volvo in 1989, but because I had no money to fix the generator, after moving there to Chicago from Bozeman, MT, in the last days of the winter snow. I gave it to a friend, Rudy, who lived on the Southside.

Has anyone given a pet name to their car? :exclaim:

Last edited:
My sidekick is fondly called Booger cuz it is green. My friends special needs son called it Booger and I kept the name :).

My El Dorado I had was Dora.

My friends truck is named Spud.

My GTO was ZoomZoom.

My triumph sportscar was Mrs. Wiggins (the tail end jacked up a bit and it reminded me of Carol Burnett's character).

There are more but I don't remember them all.

Most teenagers get their first car at the age of sixteen. It is crucial to ferret out the right one. A friend of mine, Chuck, helped me to avoid getting a 1968 Karmann Ghia. What was I thinking? I was leaning towards this VW, but my friend pointed out a different one and even went with me to see that Volvo.

I have thought about it a lot, and it seems to me, if he had suggested any other car, I would have gotten the VW--I used to count VW Bug's on a hand-clicker, when I was a tiny kid on the corner. I wanted something with good curves, I guess. I cannot begin to say how strongly I believe, my life would have gone in a very different direction with the VW. For some people, maybe not even that many, the first car, if it lasts of course, can bring out very important character traits.

Chuck, who saved me, was my sister's boyfriend for about 15 years, until he died in a scuba diving accident with his friend, Don, in the ocean near Half Moon Bay. I went to the memorial overlooking the sea. Chuck was very well known and loved in the Redwood City area. He fixed many people's foreign cars there from a private residence, with his tools in his 1961 VW Bus. He was a man from Wisconsin with all the rough edges.

My best memory of him was when we went camping near the beach at Limekiln Creek off highway 1, near Lucia, CA, at Los Padres National Forest. While hiking in the woods, he and I climbed up a ledge above the creek. We used an old rope hanging there to get up a 30' rock face. And we played Frisbee golf in the forest.

Forum List

Back