People are moving to Texas for a better life? Who are these people?

Fact. Texas has always laughed at any type of planning for the inevitable, and look at how they built Houston, a giant bathtub waiting for the next hurricane to fill it. Thanks to warmer temperatures and more frequent hurricanes, the 4th largest city in America is next up to learn the hard way about climate change.
Didn't hurt me from the time from birth in Houston, until a year after graduation when Dad got a job in California. Hurricane Carla hit us my senior year in High School, and it was a doozy, but the water level reached a quarter inch below the front porch before it started receding. I remember some neighborhood kids had their inner tubes out on our street, but nobody nearby drove around in that kind of water. Life was good. :)

Fact. Texas has always laughed at any type of planning for the inevitable, and look at how they built Houston, a giant bathtub waiting for the next hurricane to fill it. Thanks to warmer temperatures and more frequent hurricanes, the 4th largest city in America is next up to learn the hard way about climate change.

Fun fact/trivia about Houston (by the way, a really cool town).

Houston was never meant to be the main port city for Texas. That was Galveston.

Galveston was going to be what Houston is now, the main port into (more importantly, out of Texas) to be a conduit for getting that Texas Tea out to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, a massive hurricane in 1900 had other ideas and it basically wiped Galveston off the map. People in TX's oil industry figured that maybe it was a better idea to move the oil infrastructure a bit further inland to protect the oil industry from the storm surges.

Galveston wasn't even the first Texas town to get brutalized by a hurricane. Indianola, Texas was wiped off the map in or around 1875 and if memory serves me correct, was never really rebuilt. Galveston still survives but the world's most important oil town moved a bit further inland to a little town named after Sam Houston.

The Galveston hurricane of 1900 is still the deadliest natural disaster in American history. Some have speculated the SF quake of 1906 might have come close and that people deliberately downplayed the death toll to encourage investment and quick rebuild.

Galveston was going to be what Houston is now, the main port into (more importantly, out of Texas) to be a conduit for getting that Texas Tea out to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, a massive hurricane in 1900 had other ideas and it basically wiped Galveston off the map. People in TX's oil industry figured that maybe it was a better idea to move the oil infrastructure a bit further inland to protect the oil industry from the storm surges.

Galveston wasn't even the first Texas town to get brutalized by a hurricane. Indianola, Texas was wiped off the map in or around 1875 and if memory serves me correct, was never really rebuilt. Galveston still survives but the world's most important oil town moved a bit further inland to a little town named after Sam Houston.

The Galveston hurricane of 1900 is still the deadliest natural disaster in American history. Some have speculated the SF quake of 1906 might have come close and that people deliberately downplayed the death toll to encourage investment and quick rebuild.

To clarify, it wasn't so much oil at that point; oil had been discovered in Texas but the bigger issue was that Galveston was the main port city out of TX. Not just oil but all goods went into/out of TX in a line of trade that went along today's I-45, from Houston/Galveston up to Waco and Dallas and all the way into Kansas. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 forever shifted the economic importance away from Galveston and to Houston.

I'd be lying if I said "Hate to say I told you so!"

so screw the low information attacks on California, in order to defend Texas.

"According to the U.S. Drought Monitor, the drought in the state has pretty much lifted, with only 4.63 percent of the state in a moderate drought, and 29.12 percent being abnormally dry."

I'd be lying if I said "Hate to say I told you so!"

so screw the low information intellects @ usmb , with their attacks on California, in order to defend Texas.

"According to the U.S. Drought Monitor, the drought in the state has pretty much lifted, with only 4.63 percent of the state in a moderate drought, and 29.12 percent being abnormally dry."

Fun fact, even Galveston was 2nd choice. The Comanches literally wiped out the first major port.

Forum List

Back