Pennsylvania to mandate Cursive handwriting

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
The number of young people who aren't literate as far as cursive handwriting is a disgrace IMHO.

Glad to see they are working on mandating this as part of the K-12 curriculum. Plenty of things they can cut to make room, like gender studies and evolution.

The nuns were very successful in the Catholic schools in this, and I think a lot of government school kids were literate in the past as well.

The number of young people who aren't literate as far as cursive handwriting is a disgrace IMHO.
Glad to see they are working on mandating this as part of the K-12 curriculum. Plenty of things they can cut to make room

Handwriting is important because it is a projection of the way we think as the brain directs the hand. Deviations from the copybook letter-forms reflect differences in the individual. Development of the handwriting therefore allies with development of the brain and one's thought processes.

Why anyone ever stopped teaching how to write much less thinks they need to "make room" to teach it again is beyond me.

Writing is a vital discipline sorely lacking in today's children, and the results are evident.

I'd be perfectly fine with cursive going away. I learned to write it when I was young, but have always had great difficulty reading anything written in it, and even reading anything that I, myself had previously written in it. I find little value in a means of communication that is so difficult to read and understand.

I long ago gave up on cursive as any kind of useful form of writing.

Untitled-topaz-sharpen.jpg

Glad to see they are working on mandating this as part of the K-12 curriculum. Plenty of things they can cut to make room, like gender studies and evolution.

The nuns were very successful in the Catholic schools in this, and I think a lot of government school kids were literate in the past as well.

Oh great, teach them fairytales and cursive. Tat will prepare them for the technological society we live in, LOL.

My mother grew up when young ladies practiced their handwriting. Her handwriting was absolutely beautiful. Couldn't read a damn word, but it was lovely to look at.

Handwriting is important because it is a projection of the way we think as the brain directs the hand. Deviations from the copybook letter-forms reflect differences in the individual. Development of the handwriting therefore allies with development of the brain and one's thought processes.

Why anyone ever stopped teaching how to write much less thinks they need to "make room" to teach it again is beyond me.

Writing is a vital discipline sorely lacking in today's children, and the results are evident.
Let's see your cursive.
Just write out what you typed above, in cursive, and post it.

What’s the point no one under 40 uses it anymore we live in a tech world where everything is in standard print
Its institutionalized silliness baed solely on someone with a little authority deciding that the next generation will be taught what they were taught come hell or high water.

Its institutionalized silliness baed solely on someone with a little authority deciding that the next generation will be taught what they were taught come hell or high water.
Yup, we should still be using 'slide rules' too.

I long ago gave up on cursive as any kind of useful form of writing.

Bob, block letter writing (often called printing) is considered a legitimate form of cursive. Many people have difficulty with learning handwriting systems like Peterson, Spencerian or D'Nealian and prefer the block letter for a number of reasons, everything from excessively logical thought patterns to impairments in manual dexterity to even some mental disorders. The individual is still expressed through deviation from the pure block forms. For instance, if I may, your writing above suggests several things about yourself including:
  • A person driven by passion, deeply affected by one's senses (cooking, music, art, or touch, etc.) who does not easily forget a favor or a hurt.
  • A person of wit, sarcasm and perhaps some irritability and temper.
  • An analytical mind.
  • A simple, unembellished, direct style of communication. You say just what you think.
  • Resolve which usually carries your goals through to completion.
  • Well-formed ideals somewhat tempered by a degree of flexibility.
  • Optimism in some areas of your life but quickly followed by a sense of concerted fatalism and perhaps a very gloomy overall outlook.
CHEER UP, my man! May you have a wonderful and bright Christmas Season!

Oh great, teach them fairytales and cursive. Tat will prepare them for the technological society we live in, LOL.

Heaven's forbid, Crappy! If we learn to write well, we could not possibly also have a "technological" society!!! :auiqs.jpg:

Does it ever occur to you, shrew, that a big part of our problem is that we already have too much "technology" in our lives?!

Christmas is about getting away from technology for a while and getting back to uncomplicated living for a while with good food, good thoughts, good family and good friends, none of which I'm sure you share.

If that were true then we wouldn’t be worried about pronouns or supposed women with cocks

Give us your best of ANY of the systems you described in Post #11.
Really? Would you know whether I was using the Palmer method or Zaner-Bloser? What if I use Roundhand?

No more stalling.
Just write what you posted in Post #4.
Yessir. Soon as I have nothing better to do. I'm actually going out to the kitchen now to finish a project I've been working on so that I can make dinner then settle down for the night and watch Hell's Kitchen. Is that OK? Do you mind, Winny? Get back to me when I'm free. BTW, do you want my freestyle, disguised, or my normal everyday style?

Really? Would you know whether I was using the Palmer method or Zaner-Bloser? What if I use Roundhand?

Yessir. Soon as I have nothing better to do. I'm actually going out to the kitchen now to finish a project I've been working on so that I can make dinner then settle down for the night and watch Hell's Kitchen. Is that OK? Do you mind, Winny? Get back to me when I'm free. BTW, do you want my freestyle, disguised, or my normal everyday style?
Master Staller.

I don't really give a rat's ASS which method you pretend to use.

How about you write a paragraph, using each style, while identifying the style as you write.

But write, word for word, from Post #4.

That was a MAGA that came up with it. The MAGA philosophy is forward to the past.

Master Staller.
I'm back. Had to put in my final layer of adhesive so it can dry overnight. Then in 15 minutes once set, I can check it out then get started on dinner. I might do a thread on this under the heading of prototypes. Pretty nice fricking custom case! Want me to invite you if I post it here?

I don't really give a rat's ASS which method you pretend to use.
Do you have a rat's ass to give? And why do you say I'd be pretending?
Also, what does it prove seeing my handwriting and why do you want to see mine? And why do I have to copy text from a post? Don't you understand that trying to copy text a few words at a time with interruptions to go back reading my monitor would disrupt the natural lines and fluidity of the script? In fact, copying stuff is one of the ways you identify forgeries by noting the interruptions in the line values of the writing.

How about you write a paragraph, using each style, while identifying the style as you write.
Sure. Now how about you go suck my ass.

Forum List

Back