Passing links to members and moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
There's been a couple threads on this before. But we're still suffering from inaccurate links given to us in Moderation.

Because the system allows folks to set different # of posts/page as a preference setting, if you toss mods or members post links using the URL window in your browser -- you probably wont even be pointing the person to the correct page. The only fool proof method of providing post links is to

1) Go to the post.
2) Click on the Post Number
3) Copy that link to the clipboard.
4) Use that URL to point people to the problem or quote.

This will get you far better "customer service" from Moderation and guarantee that folks are actually reading what you want them to read.

The DEFAULT # of posts/page is 20. If you have that set to something else, this is the ONLY way to point to specific locations in thread.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

There's been a couple threads on this before. But we're still suffering from inaccurate links given to us in Moderation.

Because the system allows folks to set different # of posts/page as a preference setting, if you toss mods or members post links using the URL window in your browser -- you probably wont even be pointing the person to the correct page. The only fool proof method of providing post links is to

1) Go to the post.

This will get you far better "customer service" from Moderation and guarantee that folks are actually reading what you want them to read.

The DEFAULT # of posts/page is 20. If you have that set to something else, this is the ONLY way to point to specific locations in thread.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn
But but but....I did that once a long time ago to a troller who had made several applicable posts before I hit the report button on the last one.
And a mod came in and removed that post and left the rest. It wasn't like they were many pages back, either.
So apparently some of you don't read anything but the reported post.
Good to know our numbering isn't the same as yours, though. I'm not reporting anyone ever again, though.

But but but....I did that once a long time ago to a troller who had made several applicable posts before I hit the report button on the last one.
And a mod came in and removed that post and left the rest. It wasn't like they were many pages back, either.
Good to know our numbering isn't the same as yours, though. I'm not reporting anyone ever again, though.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

Last edited:

1) Go to the post.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

The general practice is to CHECK the thread a couple pages ahead of the report and a couple pages behind the post. Folks get busy. Dinner gets cold, but that's what we're supposed to do. You can help that along by SAYING the thread is a mess or to check for PREVIOUS violations.

But since you're out of the reporting biz, things just will be iffy about fairness and completeness. Imagine if only a dozen folks we're trying to "help" moderation keep this place garbage free. We depend on folks to CARE about keeping the place fair, fun and under control..

1) Go to the post.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

The general practice is to CHECK the thread a couple pages ahead of the report and a couple pages behind the post. Folks get busy. Dinner gets cold, but that's what we're supposed to do. You can help that along by SAYING the thread is a mess or to check for PREVIOUS violations.

But since you're out of the reporting biz, things just will be iffy about fairness and completeness. Imagine if only a dozen folks we're trying to "help" moderation keep this place garbage free. We depend on folks to CARE about keeping the place fair, fun and under control..
Well in the past we have had x mods tell the board that certain people were WHINING all the time with the report function.

1) Go to the post.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

Well in the past we have had x mods tell the board that certain people were WHINING all the time with the report function.

Of course. Because when someone gets dinged with a warning and they "feel" they were singled out -- they flood the report forum with a dozen or so "retribution reports". And often, they don't understand what USMB Moderation is looking for in post content.

We don't spend time reading the flames. (Zones 2,3,4) We look for specific topical content and contributions to the conversations. And we look for Site Wide Rules violations like family, pedo, copyright, OP content, etc.

When folks FOCUS on flames and hit the report button, it's sometimes annoying if they don't understand that we moderate by searching posts for TOPICAL CONTENT, not by name-calling or flames.

1) Go to the post.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

I plead the Fifth.

Of course. Because when someone gets dinged with a warning and they "feel" they were singled out -- they flood the report forum with a dozen or so "retribution reports". And often, they don't understand what USMB Moderation is looking for in post content.

We don't spend time reading the flames. (Zones 2,3,4) We look for specific topical content and contributions to the conversations. And we look for Site Wide Rules violations like family, pedo, copyright, OP content, etc.

When folks FOCUS on flames and hit the report button, it's sometimes annoying if they don't understand that we moderate by searching posts for TOPICAL CONTENT, not by name-calling or flames.

th

*****SMILE*****

1) Go to the post.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

And then there are the mods who threaten one with banning for reporting violations. Or who are so triggered by their job that they will sink threads instead of moderating them. Kind of makes posters not give two shits.

1) Go to the post.

Thanks.

FlaCalTenn

And then there are the mods who threaten one with banning for reporting violations. Or who are so triggered by their job that they will sink threads instead of moderating them. Kind of makes posters not give two shits.

I responded to that above. There ARE cases where the Mod Forum is flooded with politically biased and inaccurate reports because someone got dinged. If they are ACCURATE and FAIR -- we appreciate it. But if it's just "political retribution" -- it would bias the whole USMB moderation process and becomes a nuisance. If anyone gets a warning for reporting -- we want to know about it and it will be reviewed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back