Parallel Universe: The Mirror Joke [Hypochondria]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
There are so many stories about people daydreaming or even having nightmares when they stare into mirrors. Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, and the horror-film Mirrors (Kiefer Sutherland) are but a few.

Perhaps this fascination with 'reflections' suggests that our mind is nearly-hypnotized by the suggestion of 'escape' into a 'parallel universe' we see on that other side of the mirror, were perceived reflections possess their own 'ordained vitality,' enabling us to 'indulge' in the 'lazy comforts' of idleness!

This may be some symptom of general hypochondria, mild delusions, or even hypochondria. Regardless, mirror-tales make for rather odd and entertaining 'jagged-edge' storytelling, no?

====

Alice was sitting in front of her vanity-mirror, staring at her reflection, when she began to think that the image of her reflection was somehow fairer or even more beautiful than she! Alice concluded there was a 'parallel universe' on the other side of that mirror that made perceived reflections somehow 'real.' This 'real' universe on the 'flipside' of the mirror comprising this 'parallel universe' Alice reasoned had its own rules of logic and ethics and even imagination. What would such a world be?

chess8.jpg

Alice thought about Americans' fascination with eccentric 'avatars' and comic book characters such as Little Orphan Annie, the Rascals, and the Superfriends. These characters symbolized an Earth-world fascination with strength, courage, wit, teamwork, good humor, and optimism. Alice reasoned that there might be 'opposite-versions' of these characters on the 'flipside' of the mirror, the 'reflections' of these characters. The known characters were of course delightful and recognizable.

chess13.jpg

Alice quickly remembered a school-lesson about a hypothetical quadrant system of two mirror axes which were somehow 'folded' in space-time to yield not four identical triangles but only three. The existence of these odd-numbered triangles across the folded/intersecting axes suggested to Alice that the triangles each occupied their own 'distinct' position in space-time, even if they were 'members' of sets from different 'universes' (or parallel universes!). Alice called her professor at Yale and asked him what she thought, and she (Dr. Elizabeth Thomas) explained, "There is hypothetically a 'reality' to the 'mind-space' occupied on the 'other side' of the 'known-universe' axis we see in the reflections in mirror...sort of like 'imaginary energy'."

chess10.jpg

Alice pulled out her Ouija board and began to ask for the spirit of Superman, the friendly and valiant (albeit fictional!) American comic book superhero who could fly and was nearly-invincible. Alice thought she heard the 'voice' of Superman tell her not to think too much about the 'existence' of a parallel universe that may exist on the 'flipside' of a mirror. Alice couldn't resist asking 'Superman' if there was a 'real opposite version of Superman' on the flipside of the mirror, so 'Superman' whispered to her (Alice imagined), "There is indeed an 'alternate Superman' on the flipside of the mirror I look at, and this 'opposite-Superman' is named 'Bizarro' and he is pure evil."

chess3.png

Alice then asked 'Superman' if there were 'alternate/opposite' versions of other superheroes such as Aquaman, Batman, Catwoman, and Wonder Woman, and Superman said, "Yes! The opposite Aquaman wears a sinister eye-patch, and the opposite Wonder Woman always sneers instead of smiling like the good Wonder Woman you know and respect." Alice reasoned that this 'mirror-universe' (or parallel universe) which seemingly contained 'opposite-versions' of superheroes such as Superman and Aquaman was obviously a 'dominion' of complete perceptual mischief. Alice began to postulate about the 'nature' of mischief itself.

chess7.jpg

"Mischief is chaos/anarchy. When we formulate ethics in the real world, we think about the contours of contracts and trust and teamwork and faith. When we violate ethics/laws for the simple sake of diabolical mischief, we defy laws and betray ethics and create crime and anarchy. That is why the opposite versions of the superheroes on the flipside of the mirror are pure evil. It therefore stands to reason that on the flipside of the mirror-axis of Earth itself, the 'opposite-Earth' is very violent and unpredictable and even dark, full of erupting volcanoes, earthquakes in canyons, and waterfalls that flow backwards! I must investigate further." ---Diary of Alice [Sunday, October 1]

chess12.jpg

Alice decided to make a nifty and simple color-pencil drawing of a spritely 'space-elf' named Robin. Alice decided that Robin represented all the sanity and goodness of normal ethics and reason in the known world and the universe we know and understand, even though Robin the elf is 'technically' a being of magic and enchantment. Robin the elf then became a 'standard' of sanity for the precocious/curious Alice.

chess11.jpg

Alice then drew a hypothetical 'opposite Robin' or 'Evil Elf' with an even simpler color-pencil stick-figure doodle. This 'Evil Elf' was everything the understood Robin was not, and Alice reasoned that this 'Evil Elf' was mischievous, unkind, sneering, rebellious, unhospitable, and disenchanted. Alice concluded that perceptions of opposites using a mirror rendered all kinds of thoughts about 'demonstrative inversion.'

0730151910 (1).jpg

ALICE: Doc, maybe I should imagine celebrities (movie-stars).
PSYCHIATRIST: That's a great idea, Alice; how about Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks?
ALICE: Sure...that sounds fine; I like their movies!
PSYCHIATRIST: What do you see when you see Hanks/Cruise films?
ALICE: I think about American values and handsome men and acting.
PSYCHIATRIST: You think about storytelling and American consciousness...
ALICE: Exactly!
PSYCHIATRIST: Well, what do you imagine Hanks/Cruise see in the mirror?
ALICE: Well, I guess they see the 'opposite' versions of Hanks and Cruise!
PSYCHIATRIST: So, I reason you think they see the 'evil versions' of themselves?
ALICE: I thought that a comic book superhero would see 'evil versions' of themselves.
PSYCHIATRIST: So, Alice, it stands to reason that Hanks/Cruise would do likewise.
ALICE: I guess so; I mean, Hanks and Cruise are also 'dolls' (like 'avatars')!
PSYCHIATRIST: Alright; I want you to imagine what 'evil Hanks/Cruise' think.

apollo2.jpeg

ALICE: Doc, I followed your advice and came up with an answer.
PSYCHIATRIST: So, you imagined an 'evil version' of Hanks/Cruise, Alice?
ALICE: Yes, I did!
PSYCHIATRIST: What're these 'mirror-opposites' of Hanks/Cruise like?
ALICE: They resemble the Marvel Comics 'anti-heroes' Wolverine and Nightcrawler.
PSYCHIATRIST: Why them?
ALICE: Wolverine (like Hanks) is 'wily' and Nightcrawler (like Cruise) is 'clever.'
PSYCHIATRIST: So one is wilier than Hanks, and the other is cleverer than Cruise!
ALICE: Exactly; what does this all mean?
PSYCHIATRIST: Imagining 'opposites' is simply easier than coping with the real world.

chess14.jpg

====

:backpedal:

Forum List

Back