Paper towel masks................

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
I'm putting this in General as I don't have a link, but I do have some information that may help some of you guys out there.

Yesterday, my roomie who used to work at a hospital decided that when I went out to get groceries, I had to start wearing a mask as she was concerned since the cases are starting to spike. Well, since there aren't any out there that you can buy, she decided to make her own.

She takes a paper towel (the kind that come in 1/2 sheet rolls), folds it in half, and then places a layer of Kleenex tissue in between the paper towel. She then folds the towel like a mask, and then seals the edges with masking tape. Ear holders are made with short pieces of twine, and the whole think only takes a few min. to make.

Personally? I like the idea she came up with, as it is not as porous as cotton, meaning it will filter better, and it's a one use mask since it is so inexpensive, so I don't have to keep reusing it. And, a roll of paper towels, a box of Kleenex and a roll of twine with some masking tape will make a whole bunch of one time use masks.

Use this idea in good health if it appeals to you.

I'm putting this in General as I don't have a link, but I do have some information that may help some of you guys out there.

Yesterday, my roomie who used to work at a hospital decided that when I went out to get groceries, I had to start wearing a mask as she was concerned since the cases are starting to spike. Well, since there aren't any out there that you can buy, she decided to make her own.

She takes a paper towel (the kind that come in 1/2 sheet rolls), folds it in half, and then places a layer of Kleenex tissue in between the paper towel. She then folds the towel like a mask, and then seals the edges with masking tape. Ear holders are made with short pieces of twine, and the whole think only takes a few min. to make.

Personally? I like the idea she came up with, as it is not as porous as cotton, meaning it will filter better, and it's a one use mask since it is so inexpensive, so I don't have to keep reusing it. And, a roll of paper towels, a box of Kleenex and a roll of twine with some masking tape will make a whole bunch of one time use masks.

Use this idea in good health if it appeals to you.
And you can save the used ones to reuse as toilet paper

Masks are rated according to the particulate matter that they filter! Measured in microns! Paper towels are useless.

Paper towels filter way more than cotton ever could think about. Especially if it has tissue paper in between it. Trump had told people they could use bandanas and scarves in a pinch. Nope, I prefer the paper towels as they filter a lot better than cotton.

US President Donald Trump is expected to encourage Americans to wear face coverings as soon as Thursday, the latest effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus, according to three individuals with knowledge of the planned announcement.
Trump's planned guidance – which two officials cautioned is not yet finalised – would encourage Americans to use home-made coverings, like cloth masks, scarves or bandanas, when outside the home.

Masks are rated according to the particulate matter that they filter! Measured in microns! Paper towels are useless.

Paper towels filter way more than cotton ever could think about. Especially if it has tissue paper in between it. Trump had told people they could use bandanas and scarves in a pinch. Nope, I prefer the paper towels as they filter a lot better than cotton.

US President Donald Trump is expected to encourage Americans to wear face coverings as soon as Thursday, the latest effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus, according to three individuals with knowledge of the planned announcement.
Trump's planned guidance – which two officials cautioned is not yet finalised – would encourage Americans to use home-made coverings, like cloth masks, scarves or bandanas, when outside the home.
Well use paper towels.

I am using paper towel masks, and I feel pretty good about them. Matter of fact, because of the way it worked today, that is the reason I posted on here how to make them. There are people out there who either cannot get ahold of a mask, or they don't have enough money to buy them.

Paper towels and Kleenex ain't that expensive, neither is twine or masking tape, and they actually do make a pretty decent mask that you can throw away after 1 use and you won't break the bank doing so.

??? How many you need ? 2000/carton. 5-7 days DHL
ericlee.jpg

Will someone with a working Brain please inform the crowd as to what paper towels were designed to do?TIA.

Do you have any fucking concept at all of how friggin small a virus cell is, especially the spherical ones like covid 19?
I am using paper towel masks, and I feel pretty good about them. Matter of fact, because of the way it worked today, that is the reason I posted on here how to make them. There are people out there who either cannot get ahold of a mask, or they don't have enough money to buy them.

Paper towels and Kleenex ain't that expensive, neither is twine or masking tape, and they actually do make a pretty decent mask that you can throw away after 1 use and you won't break the bank doing so.
Won't do a dayum bit of good for a virus cell that's 60 - 120 nM in diameter. That's sub microscopic or smaller than itsey bitsey teensey weencey, my friend.

Do you have any fucking concept at all of how friggin small a virus cell is, especially the spherical ones like covid 19?

Won't do a dayum bit of good for a virus cell that's 60 - 120 nM in diameter. That's sub microscopic or smaller than itsey bitsey teensey weencey, my friend.

Paper towels filter way more out than Trump's suggestions of a bandana or scarf. Combined with a Kleenex center, it's pretty damn good in my opinion. And, fwiw................paper towels have pretty small openings, as you can actually hold water in them like a cup for a short while. You can't do that with cotton. That means they are pretty good at filtering.

Paper towels filter way more out than Trump's suggestions of a bandana or scarf. Combined with a Kleenex center, it's pretty damn good in my opinion. And, fwiw................paper towels have pretty small openings, as you can actually hold water in them like a cup for a short while. You can't do that with cotton. That means they are pretty good at filtering.
Give it to us in microns. I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Hospitals never use paper towels for masks!

Give it to us in microns. I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Hospitals never use paper towels for masks!

Hospitals don't use bandanas and scarves for masks either, but that is what Trump has recommended. And, like I said, it filters better than cotton ever could, it's cheap, and a one time use thing. No, I'm not planning on doing surgery or being in a hospital with one, but it sure as hell beats a single or double ply of cotton. I saw a woman at Wal Mart today who was wearing a mask she bought in a store somewhere, but it wasn't effective, where the mouth was was a pattern of holes in about an inch and a half circle so she could breathe better. My mask beats the hell out of that one. Cheaper too!

Hospitals don't use bandanas and scarves for masks either, but that is what Trump has recommended. And, like I said, it filters better than cotton ever could, it's cheap, and a one time use thing. No, I'm not planning on doing surgery or being in a hospital with one, but it sure as hell beats a single or double ply of cotton. I saw a woman at Wal Mart today who was wearing a mask she bought in a store somewhere, but it wasn't effective, where the mouth was was a pattern of holes in about an inch and a half circle so she could breathe better. My mask beats the hell out of that one. Cheaper too!
Well. Good luck to you.

They had a doctor on the news this morning who said that while cotton will work to keep you from infecting others, it's not very effective in keeping you safe, as everytime you inhale, you can get virus particles going through the cloth.

They had a doctor on the news this morning who said that while cotton will work to keep you from infecting others, it's not very effective in keeping you safe, as everytime you inhale, you can get virus particles going through the cloth.
Did you ever determine the size of the micron that a paper towel would block?

Hey, I know that it is better than cloth. You can prove it to yourself if you wish. Take a paper towel, and hold it under a running tap. You will notice that the water is held for a time before leaking out because the material is fairly dense. Do the same thing with a piece of cloth and see how much faster the water runs out as compared to the paper towel. A paper towel will block smaller particles than what cloth will.

Hey, try it or not, no skin off my nose. Like I said, my roomie used to work at a hospital, so she knows what works and what doesn't. I'm just trying to be helpful so that people can try to stay safe. You're just trolling because you have nothing better to do other than follow me around and make snarky comments.

And, fwiw, paper towels can filter down to 0.3 microns. If you double the layers, it improves by 30 percent, and if you put in a piece of Kleenex, it improves even further. And, like I said, it's better than cloth.

Last edited:

Hey, I know that it is better than cloth. You can prove it to yourself if you wish. Take a paper towel, and hold it under a running tap. You will notice that the water is held for a time before leaking out because the material is fairly dense. Do the same thing with a piece of cloth and see how much faster the water runs out as compared to the paper towel. A paper towel will block smaller particles than what cloth will.

Hey, try it or not, no skin off my nose. Like I said, my roomie used to work at a hospital, so she knows what works and what doesn't. I'm just trying to be helpful so that people can try to stay safe. You're just trolling because you have nothing better to do other than follow me around and make snarky comments.
That sir is the exact problem with a paper towel. It is designed to soak up water. Now look up which environment is better for bacteria And or a virus to thrive in. A wet one? Or a dry one?

Forum List

Back