Palin thinks $215,000 a year is "working class"

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Palin says she represents 'Joe Six-pack' - Yahoo! News

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin portrayed herself Tuesday as a champion of everyday people while noting her family's stock portfolio took a $20,000 hit last week.

"It's time that normal Joe Six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency," the Republican vice presidential candidate told radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt.

Palin said if she and John McCain win, they will "put government back on the side of the people of Joe Six-pack like me."

Palin said she and her husband, Todd, have been affected by the economic downturn.

"I know what Americans are going through," she said a day after a record 778-point plunge on Wall Street. "Todd and I, heck, we're going through that right now even as we speak, which may put me again kind of on the outs of those Washington elite who don't like the idea of just an everyday, working-class American running for such an office."

Palin makes $125,000 yearly as governor, and her husband makes about $90,000 a year combined from his commercial fishing business and his part-time job as a production operator on the North Slope.

Palin said her husband's 401(k) retirement account lost probably $20,000 in the last week as the market dropped.

According to the most recent state financial disclosure forms, filed March 10, 2008, the Palins had about $164,699 in a private investment account and $198,102 in a separate retirement account.

"The relatively low number of investments that we have, looking at the hit that we're taking, probably $20,000 last week in his 401(k) plan that was hit. I'm thinking, geez, the rest of America, they're facing the exact same thing that we are," she said.

Palin was asked to clarify why things are tight for her family.

"It's just the great financial crisis that America is in, as our savings accounts also, and a 401(k), they're being hit," she said.

She didn't explain how her savings account was being affected.

A combined income of $215,000 a year is NOT working class. They're in the top 5% of Americans as far as income.

And can someone please tell her that savings accounts aren't affected by the stock market???

Depends. Try living in Alaska married with 5 children on that. It is probably comparble to 75,000 stateside. Why do you think they kill and eat moose?

Depends. Try living in Alaska married with 5 children on that. It is probably comparble to 75,000 stateside. Why do you think they kill and eat moose?

Don't bend the truth, here, Willow. $215,000 a year ain't working class by any means. There are people in Ohio with 3 kids earning $30,000 a year and making it just fine. THAT's working class.

Palin says she represents 'Joe Six-pack' - Yahoo! News

A combined income of $215,000 a year is NOT working class. They're in the top 5% of Americans as far as income.

And can someone please tell her that savings accounts aren't affected by the stock market???
It most certainly is working class. How much do the Obama's make? When Barack got his senate seat Michelle got a raise bigger than the Palin's income.
:badgrin:

Don't bend the truth, here, Willow. $215,000 a year ain't working class by any means. There are people in Ohio with 3 kids earning $30,000 a year and making it just fine. THAT's working class.

If $215,000 is working class income in Alaska, then most Alaskans are impoverished:

Black or African American headed households had median income levels that were 16.8 percent less than the all population median published in the 2000 Census, with a median of $50,178. According to the 2000 Census, the Asian headed households in the area have median household incomes of $55,132. This median income level is 8.6 percent less than the reported median household income, in the state, for all households. Hispanic headed households in Alaskareported a median household income of $48,741, this median household income is 19.2 percent less than the areas median income level for all households. The American Indian and Alaska Native households in Alaska had a median household income level of $38,774, this was 35.7 percent less than the median for all households. In the State of Alaska, White householders had a median income (2005 Dollars) of $65,403 as reported in 2000 by the census, which was 8.4 percent greater than the median household income in 2000.

Alaska: Income and Poverty in the State of Alaska

It most certainly is working class. How much do the Obama's make? When Barack got his senate seat Michelle got a raise bigger than the Palin's income.

Michelle Obama also went to an ivy league college :lol:

I make less than $40K a year.... I'm working class. If I made even double that I can't imagine the things I could do!

anyone making six (not single) figure income is NOT working class.

Last edited:

and they're still bitching about those student loans.

Not bending the truth at all. Do your research. Family of seven living in Alaska.

This ISNT about what Obama makes jackass. Even he knows that he's upper class and he is trying to raise taxes on himself. Its about what AMERICANS make and $215,000 is not working class.

Wow, some of you will just never get it

If you work on the North Slope you make 6 figures...AND work your ass off. You have no clue how many ways there are to die out there. So who the @#$% cares if they make $215k.

working class? how do you define working class? Simple for me. Do you or do you not have to work for a living? Or, are you independently wealthy and do not have to work for a living. If hou have to work for a living you are of the "working class" Your salary is immaterial.

I make less than $40K a year.... I'm working class. If I made even double that I can't imagine the things I could do!

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I make just over 100k, guess what I am working class.

You say you make 40k, and you work hard, I am not questioning that. However do you work 60-80 hours a week like I do?

You bring out the Michele Obama has an ivy leage education, well I have an expensive school loan that I must pay off because I graduated college. Do you have that? Did you go to College?

Have a mortgage, and a spouse with 2 kids, with the wife staying at home caring for the children. Tell me 100K and over is living the good life.

I live in Miami, I used to live in NYC moved down here because NYC got expensive for me. Now Miami is just as expensive.

Make 100k a year and have to pay a mortgage, homeowners insurance, pay 2 tuitions, normal bills, try to invest for retirement, pay 2 cars. Let me know how 100k does for you.

Does it sound like I am living a high end luxury life?

Guess what, a family making 100k is about the same a single person that makes about 40k. In fact it's probably worse

working class? how do you define working class? Simple for me. Do you or do you not have to work for a living? Or, are you independently wealthy and do not have to work for a living. If hou have to work for a living you are of the "working class" Your salary is immaterial.

well then....Obama is working class too... McCain is not...thanks for the clarification Willow...it's most helpful.. :clap2:

work·ing-class

adjective
Definition: relating to hourly employees: relating to or belonging to the part of society made up of people who work for hourly wages, not salaries, especially manual or industrial laborers
bullet.gif
trans.gif
a working-class neighborhood

hell, i wish I got hourly, I would be making double with all the overtime I would be putting in. Hourly people also work 9-5

hell, i wish I got hourly, I would be making double with all the overtime I would be putting in. Hourly people also work 9-5

really? I wonder what all those swing shifters think of that statement?

Salaried people do get fucked in the overtime department but they are usually compensated well enough that it evens out.

I define working CLASS as though whose incomes come from their LABOR.

Once the majority of one's income comes from INVESTMENTS then one is no longer in the working class and has moved into the CAPITALIST class.

Damned few Americans, regardless of incomes, are living off their investments, folks.

the WORKING CLASS, especially those making six figures are getting screwed by the REPULICANS worse than most of us are since THEY are making up the difference in revenues that the SUPER CAPTIALIST CLASS are enjoying thanks to the tax cuts program currently in place.

Ironically, the six figure and above working class, seems to be the people who are most supportive of the tax policies which are screwing them.

Why?

Because they have bought into the American myth that welfare mothers are the cause of the their high rates of taxes.

If it wasn't so deadly to this society overall, that these people are fucking stupid, it would actually be somewhat amusing.

Even more ironically, I who am dirt poor, am actually mostly LIVING OFF MY INVESTMENTS.

I may actually be one of america's poorest capitalists.

I really must learn how to oppress you working class stiffs more effectively.

I suck at it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back