Palestine: the things you don’t hear about

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Palestinian woman embellishes a garment with traditional cross-stitch at a Gaza City workshop on 25 July, which marks Traditional Palestinian Costume Day.
Mahmoud Ajjour APA images

200725-cross-stitch.jpg

Not specifically 'Palestinian'....just google "Bedouin dresses".
That's actually traditional Bedouin dress.

traditional-colorful-woman-bedouin-dresses-jordan-handmade-fashion-style-traditional-colorful-woman-bedouin-dresses-jordan-150792208.jpg

As much as the Kaffiyah:

The indigenous tradition of the Levant is closely tied with the BLUE color,
that was produced from specific sea snails, the color culturally symbolic of Levant,
as well as being one of its most unique industries, and accordingly region's economy.

Local Levantine women traditionally wore Blue head covering and dress,
this tradition can be identified in the traditional Jewish woolen Talit garb,
and the the traditional choice of colors for dresses in Druze culture:

DykP_2HWkAA5hFf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images
phpThumb.php

I have never actually seen this ever addressed.
Red is the color of Desert cultures, Levantines are coast people.

Last edited:
A Palestinian woman embellishes a garment with traditional cross-stitch at a Gaza City workshop on 25 July, which marks Traditional Palestinian Costume Day.

200725-cross-stitch.jpg

traditional-colorful-woman-bedouin-dresses-jordan-handmade-fashion-style-traditional-colorful-woman-bedouin-dresses-jordan-150792208.jpg

As much as the Kaffiyah:

that was produced from specific sea snails, the color culturally symbolic of Levant,
as well as being one of its most unique industries, and accordingly region's economy.

DykP_2HWkAA5hFf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images
phpThumb.php

Palestinian is a territorial nationality. Due to trade routs and many conquests, Palestine is a multi racial, multi cultural, multi religious, multi ethnic place. That it shares attributes with surrounding state is mostly because a hundred years ago they were all the same place.

It is like saying that the US can't be a country because most everything is from someplace else.

It is really a stupid argument.

200725-cross-stitch.jpg

As much as the Kaffiyah:

DykP_2HWkAA5hFf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images
phpThumb.php

Palestinian is a territorial nationality. Due to trade routs and many conquests, Palestine is a multi racial, multi cultural, multi religious, multi ethnic place. That it shares attributes with surrounding state is mostly because a hundred years ago they were all the same place.

It is like saying that the US can't be a country because most everything is from someplace else.

That's actually an interesting topic,
however I didn't make any of those strawman arguments.

But I find it interesting that you don't disagree on the factual basis,
that's all I've intended to do - an informative post in response to yours.

There're nomadic Bedouin dresses, and colors:

csm_16-IMG_9395-A_0c302d8c4c.jpg

and there're dresses and colors of specifically local indigenous Levantine culture:

RGTW-80.jpg
Cat_472213_(32).jpg

P.S. Territorial nationality is a foreign concept to the region, politically and culturally,
there's an argument to be made about that. If the topic of interest to you I suggest open
a specific thread, not to derail this one, where you can show your counterargument in detail.

Last edited:

200725-cross-stitch.jpg

As much as the Kaffiyah:

DykP_2HWkAA5hFf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images
phpThumb.php

and there're dresses and colors of specifically local indigenous Levantine culture:

RGTW-80.jpg
Cat_472213_(32).jpg

P.S. Territorial nationality is a foreign concept to the region, politically and culturally,
there's an argument to be made about that. If the topic of interest to you I suggest open
a specific thread, not to derail this one, where you can show your counterargument in detail.

Territorial borders were a colonial concept that was also imposed on Africa. It was difficult for the Palestinians to accept that they would no longer be part of Syria. It took them a while to accept that it is what it is.

200725-cross-stitch.jpg

As much as the Kaffiyah:

DykP_2HWkAA5hFf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images
phpThumb.php

RGTW-80.jpg
Cat_472213_(32).jpg

Territorial borders were a colonial concept that was also imposed on Africa. It was difficult for the Palestinians to accept that they would no longer be part of Syria. It took them a while to accept that it is what it is.

Wow, I think it's way too far a stretch,
to claim that territorial borders are a foreign concept to the middle east.

I can argue that territorial nationality is a foreign concept, and I think we will agree,
but the principle of borders is a shared human principle, as ancient as civilization itself.

What is interesting though, is that the natural boundary is well seen in the most natural way:

Israel-STS094-728-10.jpg

Last edited:
Do we ever hear or see things like that?

Media only shows when Arabs and Jews disagree,
or agree on something, but only when it's something against Israel.

Last edited:
The sun rises over the magical hills of Wadi al-Bireh in Lower Galilee, Occupied Palestine. Photo by Raed Omar.

89091135_3177599845592795_175036796533473280_n.jpg

A Palestinian girl plays basketball during a training session in Gaza City. Photo by Mohammed Zaanoun.

117783767_3606312149388227_8080083420407516320_n.jpg

Palestinian children attend a candlelight vigil in Gaza in solidarity with the Lebanese people. Photo by Mohammed Zaanoun.

117335319_3590701120949330_6429981111960401062_o.jpg

A talk on the Palestinian Film and Art Festival in Washington DC.

Last edited:
A Palestinian farmer picks grapes in his vineyard in Bethlehem, the occupied West Bank. Photo by Ahmad Mezher.

118430339_3630587026960739_4960945522110938918_o.jpg

v5u0t.jpeg

Waseem Awwad, the Paris-based expert hailing from Palestine, is a senior strategic business and development manager and technology consultant for Microsoft, and has scored an impressive record of first place in 27 international competitions in the past. He has also previously been chosen as one of the top 10 Middle Eastern computing experts.

Awwad, who spoke to MEMO last year after he won the MVP award for the fifth time, has continued to take part in the annual competition in which tens of thousands of technology experts from around the world compete in a strict set of rules and criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back