Painting at Catholic University of America appears to compare George Floyd to Jesus Christ

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
This is the painting. Judge for yourself before I comment:

mama-kelly-latimore.jpg

Some students at the university are condenning it:

Blayne Clegg, a junior at the Catholic University of America (CUA) in Washington, D.C., called artist Kelly Latimore's Mama painting 'heretical and blasphemous idolatry' after discovering it 'a few weeks ago.'

The painting was unveiled at the school at the end of Black History Month in the law school building, but Clegg told Fox News on Tuesday that he doesn't 'spend much time' there as an undergraduate student. The student said the painting has been met with a 'universally negative' reaction and that no one can 'justify' the painting.

The college itself defends the painting:

I am sure that most of you have seen some media coverage relating to the image, hung in our Law School, that depicted Mary holding the body of the dead Christ. Many see the male figure as George Floyd, but our Law School has always seen the figure as Jesus.

The painting was put in place last February in a ceremony outside the law school’s Mary Mirror of Justice chapel. The press began covering it this week, leading to criticism on social media and a substantial number of emails and phone calls. Some critics called the image blasphemous because they saw it as deifying or canonizing George Floyd. Some comments that we received were thoughtful and reasonable. Some were offensive and racist. Much of the criticism came from people unconnected to the University.

I'm not Catholic or even Christian much, so I don't have a strong opinion on this.

New Topics

Forum List

Back