Pain Like No Other

I'm on the toilet right now and the first push felt like a kidney stone, but was me having a lack of fiber. Now that is pain.

No, shifting a spicy curry you ate the night before is painful. Honestly, after eating a chicken faaal a few months ago my arsehole felt like a dragon's nostril. It was like shitting molten plastic.

Regretfully, I injured my left hand on site this afternoon. I was standing at the foot of the temporary stairs the scaffolders had built with my left hand on a pallet of plyboard while I held court over the bricklayers. As we were chatting, a thus-far unidentified scaffolder nudged a swivel clamp over the toeboard and it fell two stories and landed on the back of my left hand (these things are made of solid steel). The pain was unimaginable and I expressed my extreme discomfort by bellowing all manner of expletives across the site. Honestly, it's a miracle that no bones were broken and if I was alone when it happened I probably would've cried. I used to think that bashing your thumb with a claw hammer was bad enough, but having that bastard thing land on my left hand in sub-zero temperatures was life changing.

Just thought you should all know.
Too bad it didnt hit you in the head. "held court over the bricklayers"? :laugh:

It wouldn't have made any difference (not at that height, anyway) because I wear a hard hat.

Regretfully, I injured my left hand on site this afternoon. I was standing at the foot of the temporary stairs the scaffolders had built with my left hand on a pallet of plyboard while I held court over the bricklayers. As we were chatting, a thus-far unidentified scaffolder nudged a swivel clamp over the toeboard and it fell two stories and landed on the back of my left hand (these things are made of solid steel). The pain was unimaginable and I expressed my extreme discomfort by bellowing all manner of expletives across the site. Honestly, it's a miracle that no bones were broken and if I was alone when it happened I probably would've cried. I used to think that bashing your thumb with a claw hammer was bad enough, but having that bastard thing land on my left hand in sub-zero temperatures was life changing.

Too bad it didnt hit you in the head. "held court over the bricklayers"? :laugh:
As a bricklayer, you know where not to stand....

I wonder, should I start a thread in this forum about the blister I got yesterday from my new ballet flats?

Shouldn't this be in the flame zone, Swaggie?

Firstly, Ravi, we're talking about an industrial injury here, not some petty blister. It's a good thing I was wearing ribbed gloves.

Secondly, this is the forum for making announcements, no? I made an announcement. It stays here.

Thirdly, and this isn't the first time I've had to remind you of this, but in case you have difficulty reading (which you clearly don't), it's Swagger. Not "Swaggie" or "Swaggert" (the latter being your favourite). I don't want to have to remind you again, young lady.
Okay, Swaggert.

You might want to think about finding a less dangerous job.

And btw, my job requires me to wear ballet flats so is that not also considered an industrial accident? Should I not sue myself?

No flaming in this forum, Rav. Try being a little moar sympathetic.

Sounds like you are a supervisor, if so, and I don't mean an insult, you weren't doing your job. Scaffold people are notorious for dropping crap, you should have been no where near under them, and no one else. Not that that gives then a license to drop crap it is just what happens.

I am not the supervisor, I am the contractor. I appreciate what you're saying, but you can't reasonably expect someone to take into account something like an errant clamp that's lying behind a toeboard all the time. Shit happens on site, and today it happened to me.
Suck it up....be a man.....stop whining.....

OK, tough guy -- he's a man; all of us men whine when we get hurt! You know it, I know it.

Sorry to hear that you were injured on the job, I'm sure that hurt like hell. Several years ago, I was involved in a horrific bowflex accident that resulted in dropping a substantial amount of weight on my big toe. It didn't fracture my toe, but I lost my toenail and it hurt like a mofo.

I can definitely sympathize.

Sounds like you are a supervisor, if so, and I don't mean an insult, you weren't doing your job. Scaffold people are notorious for dropping crap, you should have been no where near under them, and no one else. Not that that gives then a license to drop crap it is just what happens.

I am not the supervisor, I am the contractor. I appreciate what you're saying, but you can't reasonably expect someone to take into account something like an errant clamp that's lying behind a toeboard all the time. Shit happens on site, and today it happened to me.

OK, tough guy -- he's a man; all of us men whine when we get hurt! You know it, I know it.
One day I was at work earlier than the employees, so I decided to start the masonry mixer.....I started it and went around to the other side to put the paddles into gear. As I put into gear you have to bend over.. I was facing toward the handle that you use to pour out the mixture, and of course after using it and cleaning it the day before you have the barrel in the total pour out position. Well after putting it into gear I moved towards the handle , the position left me slightly bent over and as I reached for the handle the paddles hit a hard piece of masonry left in the barrel, the paddles of course catches the dry mud and whips the barrel up and the handle, 4 inches wide and one inch thick swung up hitting me on my eyebrow on my left side next to my eye..blood is gushing out and of course my skin was gone..I still have no eyebrow hair on part of my brow...
I put a bandage on it and went back to work..It finally stopped bleeding by the end of the day...

I have more war wound stories to tell, but what I am getting at is, just cause you get hurt is no reason to cry or stop working, simply wrap the wound and continue...

My motto...

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Rocky Balboa.....

Sorry to hear that you were injured on the job, I'm sure that hurt like hell. Several years ago, I was involved in a horrific bowflex accident that resulted in dropping a substantial amount of weight on my big toe. It didn't fracture my toe, but I lost my toenail and it hurt like a mofo.

I can definitely sympathize.
Good thing you were not using free weights...

I'm so sorry to hear. I'm surprised your hand isn't broken to be honest. Get well soon! :)

Why is it, someone can't tell us something about themselves and immediately others jump on them? Simply sick and cruel. I guess you guys were either the bullies in school or the bullied taking it out on others now.

He hurt himself, is damn lucky he didn'-t crush his hand, yet others find fault with him saying it hurt. Those doing such really need to rethink your motives here. This is away from the political boards, you know, where anything can and does go. Can't some separate themselves from their idealogies for even a moment?

What has happened with human decency. So much for developing any sense of connectivity here with certain individual's.

Last edited:
Why is it, someone can't tell us something about themselves and immediately others jump on them? Simply sick and cruel. I guess you guys were either the bullies in school or the bullied taking it out on others now.

He hurt himself, is damn lucky he didn'-t crush his hand, yet others find fault with him saying it hurt. Those doing such really need to rethink your motives here. This is away from the political boards, you know, where anything can and does go. Can't some separate themselves from their idealogies for even a moment?

What has happened with human decency. So much for developing any sense of connectivity here with certain individual's.
The OP lives for this, we are merely indulging him.

Just helping him develop a thick skin....

No I am not....I had tough guys as mentors, like my Papa, Dad and coaches ..I was told to eat nails and get tough..My 81 year old Dad makes fun of me if I grunt when moving with my 80 year old's spine(According to what my neurologist stated)

Being tough doesn't mean you can't say "damn that hurt" when you get hurt.

No I am not....I had tough guys as mentors, like my Papa, Dad and coaches ..I was told to eat nails and get tough..My 81 year old Dad makes fun of me if I grunt when moving with my 80 year old's spine(According to what my neurologist stated)

Being tough doesn't mean you can't say "damn that hurt" when you get hurt.

I don't...When I was kid and beaten regularly, I learned to not make any noise..So that whey they thought it didn't hurt me...

Sounds like you think you're tough, any-hoo. Ever pulled one of your own molars? I have, twice. I've been shot and stabbed.

Of course, this IS the internet.

Take it all with a grain of salt. ;-)

Forum List

Back