Owning a Car is 80 Percent More Dangerous Than Owning a Gun

My 18 year old granddaughter had her first accident yesterday. Thankfully it was minor. Shaken up as it is her first car and she guards it with her life.
Which illustrates the fallacy.

The car accident was indeed that: an accident, a mistake made by one of the drivers in good faith.

With guns there are no 'accidents,' only negligence, where the gun owner is solely responsible for that negligence.

My 18 year old granddaughter had her first accident yesterday. Thankfully it was minor. Shaken up as it is her first car and she guards it with her life.
Which illustrates the fallacy.

The car accident was indeed that: an accident, a mistake made by one of the drivers in good faith.

With guns there are no 'accidents,' only negligence, where the gun owner is solely responsible for that negligence.

No, accidents can and do happen with both. Both can be used for good or bad purposes. The primary difference is that some idiots don't consider it "car violence" when cars are being used for good and/or intended purposes.

I have mandatory insurance on my car, I register it, I am a licensed driver, my car has safety features to reduce fatalities

Since cars and guns both kill the same number of people, why don't we do the same with guns?

I have mandatory insurance on my car, I register it, I am a licensed driver, my car has safety features to reduce fatalities

Since cars and guns both kill the same number of people, why don't we do the same with guns?

Cars don't kill the same number of people they kill more…suicides don't count. Accidents with guns in 2013…505. Accidents with cars, over 30,000.

After you put a tax on voting then we can talk…..

Cars don't kill the same number of people they kill more…suicides don't count. Accidents with guns in 2013…505. Accidents with cars, over 30,000.

The numbers are irrelevant. It's a false comparison. It's a desperation ploy to try to fit an apple and an orange into the same space. You don't even NEED to look up the numbers -- it flat out doesn't work.

See post 24 above for an even more egregious example.

It's like going, "the answer is 'purple -- because aliens never wear hats'."

Accidents with guns= 505
The other 30,000 deaths were "On Purpose"

Many (too many)of my guns were registered at the time of purchase, they have safety features, I had a background check (at my expense) at the time of purchase of each. I was trained and tested by the US Army and again before being allowed to purchase a hunting license and again before being (at considerable personal expense) issued my concealed carry license. I am held no less responsible for my actions with a firearm than you are with your car. When was the last time someone tried to ban your car because someone else made mistakes or was irresponsible?

Many (too many)of my guns were registered at the time of purchase, they have safety features, I had a background check (at my expense) at the time of purchase of each. I was trained and tested by the US Army and again before being allowed to purchase a hunting license and again before being (at considerable personal expense) issued my concealed carry license. I am held no less responsible for my actions with a firearm than you are with your car. When was the last time someone tried to ban your car because someone else made mistakes or was irresponsible?

Good to hear

Now, lets do the same for every gun owner like we do for every car owner

The numbers are irrelevant. It's a false comparison. It's a desperation ploy to try to fit an apple and an orange into the same space. You don't even NEED to look up the numbers -- it flat out doesn't work.

You realize it is the anti gunners who first used this argument..right? And they still do....even though it shows how stupid they are....

You realize it is the anti gunners who first used this argument..right? And they still do....even though it shows how stupid they are....

No I don't "realize" that at all, nor does it jibe with any argument I've ever seen or heard put forth anywhere.
But we can finally agree it's a stupid fake-comparison.

Good to hear

Except....for criminals...right? Since they don't go in for the mandatory training, licensing, registration (and by Supreme Court decision they do not have to register their illegal guns)....they just don't do it....

Of course, the very people who don't go around shooting other people...you want all that training, licensing and registration for them...the ones not shooting other people......

Yeah...makes complete sense.......

And again....

Please explain how licensing actually would work to achieve anything you say you want....

Please explain how registering guns achieves anything you say you want...........

Everything you want is simply a way to trip up, hassle and keep law abiding gun owners from exercising a Right.....so no....no thanks.

No I don't "realize" that at all, nor does it jibe with any argument I've ever seen or heard put forth anywhere.
But we can finally agree it's a stupid fake-comparison.

The first place I saw this argument was from one of the anti gun extremist groups....

Are guns "more likely to kill you than a car is"? No - Crime Prevention Research Center

The Economist magazine had the headline in mid January: “A gun is now more likely to kill you than a car is.” It is a claim that has been repeated over and over again (see Forbes, The Atlantic, Slate (question 9), Vox (also at MSN News), RT, college newspapers across the country, Mother Jones, Raw Story, Oregonlive.com, Tucson Sentinel, and related pieces in the Washington Post). From The Economist article:

Good to hear

Except....for criminals...right? Since they don't go in for the mandatory training, licensing, registration (and by Supreme Court decision they do not have to register their illegal guns)....they just don't do it....

Of course, the very people who don't go around shooting other people...you want all that training, licensing and registration for them...the ones not shooting other people......

And again....

Please explain how licensing actually would work to achieve anything you say you want....

Please explain how registering guns achieves anything you say you want...........

Everything you want is simply a way to trip up, hassle and keep law abiding gun owners from exercising a Right.....so no....no thanks.

How does licensing work when you own a car? It obviously doesn't prevent all accidents but it does demonstrate that you have met a minimum standard of skills and knowlege to drive

How does registering a car work? It provides a trail of ownership and responsibility

Cars are used constantly...24/7/365....thankfully guns are used only occasionally by those who own them....if you used numbers of miles driven per death [Americans drive more than 2.5 trillion miles annually.] ...Guns would totally outrank Automobiles...

we rate The assertion cars are 80 percent more dangerous than Guns FALSE

Good to hear

And again....

How does licensing work when you own a car? It obviously doesn't prevent all accidents but it does demonstrate that you have met a minimum standard of skills and knowlege to drive

How does registering a car work? It provides a trail of ownership and responsibility

You guys want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and believe that licensing law abiding gun owners will do that….nothing you have said about it will accomplish that…and considering that with over 320 million guns in private hands, and only 505 accidental deaths attributed to guns, the American people don't really have a problem handling their guns currently…….

Licensing will become just another way to keep people from owning guns, especially the poor who need them the most. In Europe, licensing and training requirements are one of the primary ways they keep people from owning the few guns they are allowed to have.

What does a trail of ownership do…..once a gun is stolen…it does nothing to stop or solve any crime related to that gun. And if you sell you gun and it turns out the guy couldn't own it….arrest the guy who bought the gun…cause he knew he couldn't own it…..we are not cops…we are not paid to investigate other people.

Guns are far less complicated than cars and with the fact that so few people are killed by accidental gun deaths there is no need to change our current system….

If you want to help….pay for PSAs to encourage people to get training, and then have gun safety taught in all the public schools…..that way the 505 number can be reduced…

All without infringing on a Right.

Guns are much more complicated than cars in that each use can be a life or death decision

Is this really a bad guy?
Is he armed?
Is a shootout the best option?
Should I just retreat and call for help?
Is there anyone who can get hit by stray bullets?

Training is much more complicated than how to pull a trigger

Guns are much more complicated than cars in that each use can be a life or death decision

Is he armed?

And yet….every day, ordinary Americans with little to no training use guns to stop violent criminal attack, successfully. They are not Navy Seals and they do not spend hours a week at the range….statistics show that you are wrong….as does reality.

In most situations the bad guy tells you by his actions he is the bad guy.

In most situations the bad guy presents a weapon, essentially telling you he has one…otherwise armed citizens don't show, draw or use theirs.

In most situations the normal, average American determines this easily with little training…since as statistics show most encounters do not end in shooting, the criminal runs away or is captured for police.

Most armed Americans choose the option of retreating first, but since most criminals attack at the time and place of their choosing, in order to confine and keep the victim from getting away, the decision to retreat is influence by the criminal.

And as the Klackama mall shooting showed, a normal, armed citizen did not shoot the mass shooter because there were people behind him….the mass shooter, seeing the armed citizen and his gun, decided to end his own life right then and there.

The normal, armed person is much more competent and responsible than you give them credit for. Criminals…not so much.

Is he armed?

And yet….every day, ordinary Americans with little to no training use guns to stop violent criminal attack, successfully. They are not Navy Seals and they do not spend hours a week at the range….statistics show that you are wrong….as does reality.

In most situations the bad guy presents a weapon, essentially telling you he has one…otherwise armed citizens don't show, draw or use theirs.

In most situations the normal, average American determines this easily with little training…since as statistics show most encounters do not end in shooting, the criminal runs away or is captured for police.

Most armed Americans choose the option of retreating first, but since most criminals attack at the time and place of their choosing, in order to confine and keep the victim from getting away, the decision to retreat is influence by the criminal.

And as the Klackama mall shooting showed, a normal, armed citizen did not shoot the mass shooter because there were people behind him….the mass shooter, seeing the armed citizen and his gun, decided to end his own life right then and there.

The normal, armed person is much more competent and responsible than you give them credit for. Criminals…not so much.

And yet, every day, ordinary Americans leave loaded weapons where kids can get at them, ordinary Americans take shots in the dark at imagined intruders, ordinary Americans start a shootout and cause unnecessary deaths

Owning a gun is a grave responsibility, I am shocked that you take it so lightly

Is he armed?

And yet, every day, ordinary Americans leave loaded weapons where kids can get at them, ordinary Americans take shots in the dark at imagined intruders, ordinary Americans start a shootout and cause unnecessary deaths

Owning a gun is a grave responsibility, I am shocked that you take it so lightly

The stastisics don't back you up……in 2013..accidental gun deaths, the for the entire country of over 320 million people….505. How many kids died because of accidental gun deaths in 2013….69. How many people now carry guns for self defense…over 12.8 million people….so you are just wrong. Americans handle guns incredibly responsibly, no matter how you try to paint them. The numbers show this, and the fact, the truth and reality is that gun murder and gun accidents are going down, not up as more Americans buy, own and carry guns for self defense.

Your whole post is wrong. There should be gun safety taught in public schools, but you guys fight that. And considering how many people use guns for self defense each year against violent criminals, on average 2 million times a year, there are still only 505 accidental deaths.

Forum List

Back