over 40 advice thread for the youngins

when you think you have it all figured out.....watch an olde timer in action....and accept the fact you know nothing

Old people were not born that way.

The fact that they are old, does mean they were at least smart enough and lucky enough to survive.

The mortality rate for human beings is 100%

back by popular demand due to the stupidity of the youngens

if you are younger than me you have not earned the right to disrepect me nor tell me what i should think....mostly beacuse i have grey pubes older than you

I believe it was Mark Twain that said something to the effect...

"When I was 17 I thought my father was the dumbest man alive. When I was 21, I was amazed at how much he'd learned in four years."

Has anybody here in the old group ever given up on their moneyed but dullish professional office career to pursue some wild dream (like starting an airline charter) in the hopes of retiring with no regrets? I'm 34 and in have to make a very important decision to pursue my commercial helicopter license after I pass my private license requirements this June 20th... or go back to being an actuary. Any advice?

Comrade said:
Has anybody here in the old group ever given up on their moneyed but dullish professional office career to pursue some wild dream (like starting an airline charter) in the hopes of retiring with no regrets? I'm 34 and in have to make a very important decision to pursue my commercial helicopter license after I pass my private license requirements this June 20th... or go back to being an actuary. Any advice?

From Confucious:

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.​

Comrade said:
Are you planning to run the company on the admin side or act as one of the line pilots?

Initially as a line pilot with a single craft... should there be any success, of course I'd eventually work full time in the admin end.

Comrade said:
Initially as a line pilot with a single craft... should there be any success, of course I'd eventually work full time in the admin end.
I don't want to poo-poo your dream Comrade, but it will take years to log enough flight time
to operate as a 135 pilot. Even after you achieve that, most helicopter operators wont hire you
at the minimum hour level..so by the time you can work 135 you'll be 37-38, and that'll be if you bust your butt flight instructing to build the time at say 600 hrs/yr. Can you accept that? Are you married? Will she accept that? Cuz the money will not be good and you'll be at the airport MOST of the time.

I'll answer any question I can for you. I hold an ATP (FW) with three type ratings, commercial instrument helicopter License... 10,000+ hours and 28 yrs in aviation...just ask.

PS...I worked with a guy that came in and out of flying...back and forth cuz he loved to fly but knew where the money was.

Mr. P said:
I don't want to poo-poo your dream Comrade, but it will take years to log enough flight time
to operate as a 135 pilot. Even after you achieve that, most helicopter operators wont hire you
at the minimum hour level..so by the time you can work 135 you'll be 37-38, and that'll be if you bust your butt flight instructing to build the time at say 600 hrs/yr. Can you accept that? Are you married? Will she accept that? Cuz the money will not be good and you'll be at the airport MOST of the time.

I'll answer any question I can for you. I hold an ATP (FW) with three type ratings, commercial instrument helicopter License... 10,000+ hours and 28 yrs in aviation...just ask.

PS...I worked with a guy that came in and out of flying...back and forth cuz he loved to fly but knew where the money was.

Mr. P., If I had some investment capital to buy 1-2 helos and start my own charter, what kind of chance would I have to build a viable air charter company?

Comrade said:
Mr. P., If I had some investment capital to buy 1-2 helos and start my own charter, what kind of chance would I have to build a viable air charter company?
Comrade, That's is a very difficult question to answer. I have no idea what the need is
for a helicopter operation where you are or whether there are already operators in place.
What type operation are you looking at?
I'm sure you are aware helicopters live in a world of their own in the aviation industry,
traffic/news reporting, logging, ems, tours, aerial spraying, photography and fire fighting account for the vast majority of operations.
If you could secure a contract for service, hire some experienced people, your chances would be the best for success.

Here's a site I recommend you visit, lots of useful information...
http://www.landings.com/click the directoy link.

I would also highly recommend you attend Bell training (it's excellent) for your commercial license. The vast majority of their instructors are x-military (at least they used to be) with experience you wont find anywhere else in the civilian market. Now that I think about it, Bell and the people there, would be a great resource for you in making your decision.
http://bellhelicopter.com/en/training/index.cfm?content=about/about.cfm&g_folder=header_16#

Sorry I can't answer your question any better, I hope I helped a little.

Forum List

Back