Outlaws - They live outside the law.

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
Any politician claiming to write a bill or draft legislation to protect you from outlaws is a liar.

Outlaws live outside the law, hence their name.

There's only two ways of dealing with outlaws:

The State uses force against them (as a group).

The Citizenry uses force against them (individually in self-defense).

Why not just make it difficult for outlaws to acquire guns?

We know why of course...because it goes against your political views to do so.

But ANY sane society will prevent criminals from acquiring weapons, and this is exactly why your homicide rate is at least four times higher than it would be if you had safety-based laws.

But ANY sane society will prevent criminals from acquiring weapons, and this is exactly why your homicide rate is at least four times higher than it would be if you had safety-based laws.

The 9/11 hijackers killed thousands with nothing but box-cutters.

Missourian -

So what?

No one is suggesting that a homicide rate of 0 is obtainable in any country or under any laws.

What I think we can all agree on is that the homicide rate in the US could be slashed by a good 25% if it were harder for gangs and outlaws to acquire guns.

Missourian -

So what?

No one is suggesting that a homicide rate of 0 is obtainable in any country or under any laws.

What I think we can all agree on is that the homicide rate in the US could be slashed by a good 25% if it were harder for gangs and outlaws to acquire guns.

Uh-huh, Except for the fact that more often than not Outlaws obtain guns illegally, imagine that.

Nightfox-

Of course they acquire them illegally....who said otherwise?

You implied it here:

Saigon said:
Or were not try to imply that the U.S. should pass more restrictive gun control laws to accomplish this? If not laws then how would you propose that "any sane society prevent criminals from acquiring weapons"?

Why don't we use guns to throw outlaws in jail and KEEP them there?

-Geaux

Nightfox -

I probably could have been a little clearer.

I meant that if he US were to adopt safety-based gun laws, those laws can also impede the flow of arms into the hands of gangs etc. Most countries already do this, and it is not difficult.

For instance, by tightening border security and rules concerning the import of weapons.

It's a case of analyzing how gangs acquire weapon, identifying the seller or origin, and then closing down that pipeline as much as possible. It won't work 100% of the time, but it can work a lot of the time.

Nightfox -

I meant that if he US were to adopt safety-based gun laws, those laws can also impede the flow of arms into the hands of gangs etc. Most countries already do this, and it is not difficult.

For instance, by tightening border security and rules concerning the import of weapons.

It's a case of analyzing how gangs acquire weapon, identifying the seller or origin, and then closing down that pipeline as much as possible. It won't work 100% of the time, but it can work a lot of the time.

Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed.

-Geaux

Nightfox -

HIGHLY unlikely to have any effect, since "outlaws" don't care what laws you pass (that's why they're outlaws) and they don't need to import weapons since the U.S. already has significant domestic weapons production not to mention guns are not that difficult to manufacture illegally especially when you have working models to copy.

This is a bassackwards approach to the problem, if one wants to actually address the problem of gun violence then one needs to understand the root causes and attack those. I can tell you one thing for certain, guns aren't the root cause of gun violence, they're just the means. Adding/changing laws is only going to serve to impede law abiding citizens from acquiring/owning guns, criminals don't care about the law so it's not going to deter them in the least, in fact it's just going to make the illegal trade in weapons more lucrative and thus more attractive.

Nightfox -

It works everywhere else...I don't see what it shouldn't work in the US.

Illegal guns don't just appear...they are all bought or imported or stolen from somewhere. The more of those sources than can be pressured or closed, the safer your streets will be.

A lot of these solutions aren't rocket science at all - they are things which have very strong track records in other western countries.

The only reason the US doesn't already have such measures is politics.

The only reason the US doesn't already have such measures is politics.

Safer streets for whom? Criminals?

No, it's because of the US Constitution

-Geaux

Where in the constitution does it protect the ownership of illegal weapons?

If you're comfortable with the degree of gang violence in your neighbourhood, then stick with that.

If you think gangs commit too much crime - then do something about it.

Nightfox -

It works everywhere else...I don't see what it shouldn't work in the US.
That's a spurious argument, the United States isn't "everywhere else" we have our own distinct population (315 million or so), our own culture (one that glorifies ignorance, violence and hedonism), our own traditions and our own politics (including a Federal Constitution that specifically protects the right to keep and bear arms). It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Illegal guns don't just appear...they are all bought or imported or stolen from somewhere. The more of those sources than can be pressured or closed, the safer your streets will be.
Illegal guns can be obtained from multiple sources some of them originating in legal channels and some not (illegal manufacture). Again the problem is NOT gun ownership the problem are the root causes of the violence that guns are used to perpetrate.

Forum List

Back