Our Economy Can't Take This, Get it Over With

Do you guys have any idea how much protecting the public health is costing our wealthy elites?

Get back to work!

Trump 2020
They aren't the ones filing for unemployment, moron.

Is this what you want to see?

2657.jpg
701,000 jobs lost. That's just shy of a million job difference from the previous month.

It's like having Bush back in office.

If we don't shut down the country, you'll bitch how people are dying. If we do, you'll bitch about unemployment.

You have to decide what to complain about.
Personally, I choose saving lives over unemployment.

Why are you bitching about both?
Oh? Where did I do that?

It's gonna be at least 2 months before we see people going back to work. So settle in our economy will have to withstand it.
The end of April.

I am afraid it's going to be longer than that, at least till end of May.
What no one want to address is what happens in May or June, when the new cases flatten out or falls. It's an inconvenient truth that if the restrictions are responsible for the reduction in the number cases, the relaxation of restrictions will be responsible for an increase in the number of cases. It is a no win situation. We apply restrictions, when cases rise and remove them when they fall and the economy improves and falls with the restriction until most of the public are vaccinated or attainment immunity by being infected. That of course will take several years, maybe longer.

Last edited:
The primary problem is not government bureaucracy but a lack of information as to where to send the checks coupled with the time to print and delivery checks. Anyone who has filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return or receives Social Security payments automatically deposited should have money in their bank account in April. Paper checks from the government will be delayed several weeks just like tax refunds by checks because of the time required to print checks and delivery them. Those that have not filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 and do not receive social security are the ones that will not receive the money for months because they will have to file a claim.

All you wrote is correct. But I do have a question. Why should postal employees be forced to deliver checks to mailboxes?
Because it is considered an essential service.

Does Social Distancing Matter?
This paper develops and implements a method to monetize the impact of moderate social distancing on deaths from COVID-19. Using the Ferguson et al. (2020) simulation model of COVID-19’s spread and mortality impacts in the United States, we project that 3-4 months of moderate distancing beginning in late March 2020 would save 1.7 million lives by October 1. Of the lives saved, 630,000 are due to avoided overwhelming of hospital intensive care units. Using the projected age-specific reductions in death and age-varying estimates of the United States Government’s value of a statistical life, we find that the mortality benefits of social distancing are about $8 trillion or $60,000 per US household. Roughly 90% of the monetized benefits are projected to accrue to people age 50 or older. Overall, the analysis suggests that social distancing initiatives and policies in response to the COVID-19 epidemic have substantial economic benefits.

People have known for centuries that staying away from sick people in an epidemic prevents the spread of disease. Since there is no way of knowing whose sick, social distancing is all we got.

I could agree with social distancing. I don't agree with forcing people into their homes.

History teaches us that an epidemic has never been overcome by quarantines, but only by hygienic measures. Quarantines do not protect populations in which the disease is already present, they can only save a little time, but it cannot defeat the disease itself.

Stay-at-home has been sold to the public on the basis of protecting us. After all, our leaders care about us. They have only our best interests at heart. Right? And what is more terrifying to anyone than the state of their health? None of us want to put our loved ones lives in danger. And so we become even more compliant than normal.

I think Franklin said something like, “Those who would give up liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Considering the continuous fear coming from our leaders and especially media, I don't know if any of us could feel safe. And government totalitarian response to an invisible enemy should make all of us feel demonstrably less free.

View attachment 320137
When you have no vaccine or medical treatment to stop a virus which transmits by droplets in the air from coughing, sneezing, and talking, the only action left to stop the transmission is the separation of people. Whether it works or not depends on the people or governments success at enforcing the separation.

If a society does nothing, enough people will be sicken or die thus denying the virus enough hosts to spread. This approach is dependents on the value society puts on human life.

So people who are working today, in grocery stores, post offices, gas stations, pizza places, including police, firefighters are not potential transmitters? The values of their lives are lower than of those who stay home? Why they should work and pit their health or lives on line, and others should not? What value society put on their lives? They're human too, right?

The primary problem is not government bureaucracy but a lack of information as to where to send the checks coupled with the time to print and delivery checks. Anyone who has filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return or receives Social Security payments automatically deposited should have money in their bank account in April. Paper checks from the government will be delayed several weeks just like tax refunds by checks because of the time required to print checks and delivery them. Those that have not filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 and do not receive social security are the ones that will not receive the money for months because they will have to file a claim.

All you wrote is correct. But I do have a question. Why should postal employees be forced to deliver checks to mailboxes?

By whom?

Oh, so it's OK that someone get infected and possibly die, because they're essential service?

What's next, is government going to decide what items you are allowed to buy based on is item essential or not? Oh shit, they're already doing that.

STUPID SHITS WANT THE DAMN THING OVER, THEY JUST REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING TO END IT.

what more can anyone be doing to end it? Tell me, what would constitute the "end" so we could restart the economy?
The end will come when Covid 19 hospitals admissions within a state are falling and the number of new cases are falling. The governor in each state will make that decision just as they made the decision to shut down. The economy will not come back at the same time for every state and don't expect everything to open up at same time. I think it will be a couple of months before anything positive happens because the number of cases are increasing, not falling. I would not be surprised if in the Fall Covid 19 comes back accompanied by a second shutdown.

we agree, but our resident libs want it to go on for years, or at least until November

They'll do anything to prolong it till then.
So Republicans who issued stay-at-home orders are also in on this conspiracy?
Our republican president just happen to have a turn of bad luck, Covid 19. For Obama it was a financial crisis. For Bush it was 911. In other words shit happens. None of these presidents were responsible for the event.

Our republican president just happen to have a turn of bad luck, Covid 19. For Obama it was a financial crisis. For Bush it was 911. In other words shit happens. None of these presidents were responsible for the event.

To an extent, there will be a scoreboard for Trump, just as it was for his predecessors.

Some did better in crisis, some not that good. Just as some countries, or even states are doing better than the other. What's common for all is that solution to every problem is more government, and more money spent. We'll overcome this crisis, and recover from it... but question raised about top-down control from Washington, will not go away.

Federal agencies such as the CDC and NHI have looked foolish and impotent throughout this crisis, as has the Trump in some cases and his infectious disease expert Dr. Fauci as well. If in hindsight cheap antimalarial drugs and antibiotics prove to be effective treatments, the entire narrative of ventilators and lockdowns will appear foolish and destructive. If.

There will be accusations, recriminations, and calls for more bureaucracy and more regulations. The political class will gain, the American people will lose.

If there is a silver lining, our already polarized country will begins to understand that top-down control from Washington will not work with all Americans. For instance, South Dakota (who did not issue stay-at-home order) doesn't have to take New York's approach, or federally dictated approach, because what is good for New York is not necessarily good for South Dakota. Federal government wants to set the same rules for 330 million people, and that simply cannot work. Not for coronavirus, and certainly not for taxes, guns, abortion, climate change, or anything else.

STUPID SHITS WANT THE DAMN THING OVER, THEY JUST REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING TO END IT.

what more can anyone be doing to end it? Tell me, what would constitute the "end" so we could restart the economy?
The end will come when Covid 19 hospitals admissions within a state are falling and the number of new cases are falling. The governor in each state will make that decision just as they made the decision to shut down. The economy will not come back at the same time for every state and don't expect everything to open up at same time. I think it will be a couple of months before anything positive happens because the number of cases are increasing, not falling. I would not be surprised if in the Fall Covid 19 comes back accompanied by a second shutdown.

we agree, but our resident libs want it to go on for years, or at least until November

They'll do anything to prolong it till then.
So Republicans who issued stay-at-home orders are also in on this conspiracy?
The financial crisis was the best thing that could happen to Obama. He got into his presidency when the economy was allready on the rebound. The only way it could go is up. You're right, Obama wasn't responsible for the recovery. He was responsible for it taking over 8 years.

Last edited:
That’s because you’re not essential. Let that sink in for a bit.
Because some Dem governors who make these decisions are clueless. Republicans in the workforce are essential, liberal Democrats are not.

@bripat9643

10000/8000 = factor 1.25

(-1) 8,000
(0) 10,000

(1) 12,500
(2) 15,625
(3) 19,531
(4) 24,414
(6) 30,517
(7) 38,146

In 30 days (1,25^30*10,000) : ~ 8,000,000

And now start to read and try to understand what I said to you. Leave your wrong way. Start to think serios about serios problems. It's idiotic first to have an answer and then to try to convince everyone from this answer, while the world is doing completelly other things and follows not the own senseless rules. You are counterproductive.

In 30 days 8 million US-Americans will not be dead - it will be less people. But this will not come so, because many people fight Corona and don't dream of a "herd immunity" = "to do nothing". Stay at home - don't infect others, let not infect you. And don't speak nonsense. Most of your answers are short, clear, impertinent, defaming and wrong.
Your numbers are bullshit. The number of deaths did not go from 8000 to 10000 in one day. The number of deaths even today is only 1200. The rest of your post is therefore equally bullshit.

This were the data from this date. Today you have perhaps "only" 1200+x dead people - in a much more complex non linear world with not the best possible statistical data and lots of fake news. In Fiji exists (existed a very short time ago) for example only one corona case. Reason: They don't have tests, they don't have money for tests, they measure the temperature and try to find out in this way who has corona. Let me say "The USA is only a little better" when I think about, what we should know and what we don't know. So it helps only an alert mind in the moment and a strict consequent way of containment. Economy is not the highest priority now and never money should be. Economy is only an instrument, money only a tool. And let me say: I think idiots like you and your president - and many other 'strong leaders' worldwide (="big strong men and their spitlickers") - grow to become more and more a threat for the survival of all mankind. And Corona shows by the way painfully the negative effects of every form of irrational and loveless politics, which was made in the past. All we children of god could be much more better and much more effective now with a rational mind and a loving heart.

So what happens when you calculate with "your" data in one week , one month, one year, hundred years, thousand years, a million years - if nothing changes? What has to change in your view to the world, so we all are able to survive as long as possible?

Last edited:
The experts you worship say the peek will be on April 12. what are citices?

I don't know what you speak about.
Neither does he.

Always when I read such a statement, as you gave here, I ask myselve: Are all US-Americans idiots? ... Is this everything what you are able to stammer after 13.8 billion years history of the universe? Noli me tangere (better to say: mē mou haptou), if you have nothing to say what's essential in times of Corona. When you don't start to think and to feel now - when will you start to do so, lost child in time? How long do you like to live in your wrong deadly stereotypes and cliches?

I don't know how old you are but I'm not 13.8 billion years old.

You are universe. The universe is 13.8 billion years old.

The experts you worship say the peek will be on April 12. what are citices?

I don't know what you speak about.
Neither does he.

Always when I read such a statement, as you gave here, I ask myselve: Are all US-Americans idiots? ... Is this everything what you are able to stammer after 13.8 billion years history of the universe? Noli me tangere (better to say: mē mou haptou), if you have nothing to say what's essential in times of Corona. When you don't start to think and to feel now - when will you start to do so, lost child in time? How long do you like to live in your wrong deadly stereotypes and cliches?

I don't know how old you are but I'm not 13.8 billion years old.

You're more like 4 years old, I would estimate.

Hmm ... I will think about. "To think" is by the way something what needs time. Only to be all-knowing needs more time - but this entity made everything including time. Did you?

There is no plan and that is the problem. What the idiot Trump needs to do is lock down the country until the April 14th and require anyone sick or contact with sick to stay home 14 days after exposure plus isolate older Americans for a few months. Or at least put forth a plan of his own. Right now he is playing a game of whack a mole like a retard. This will get us no where and we are wasting time. Trump better put out a plan soon.

Why Trump? You have a governor who you hold much more sway over than you do at a national level. You know Trump proposed locking down NY, CT and NJ and the democrat hero Cuomo shot that down immediately as totally illegal.

So stick that in your partisan pipe and smoke it.
Whack a mole by state?! Are you insane? So basically you approve of having no plan. Surprise. There was nothing substantively partisan in my post except for properly calling Trump an idiot. He is. Still I am looking to him as the President to implement a national plan in this time of crisis. Apparently you think we don’t need one.
If the governor of the state that is currently the epicenter of the outbreak claims Trump has no legal authority to lock down his state... what exactly do you expect Trump to do. Cuomo literally called it an act of war.

Trump wanted to do it, the Democrats fought him on it.

You need a civics class. You understand we are not a centralised government right.

We are a federation of states. Hence the FEDERAL government. If the state fights the federal government what is Trump going to do? Call out the Army? Arrest the Governor? Appoint a new state government?

Get your head out of your ass and look around. We aren't a dictatorship. If you want a lockdown...you best be putting pressure on CUOMO...not Trump.
Keep kissing his ass until we go broke and millions of old people die. The fact is the guy and the administration has no plan. He’s just winging it.

If you don't know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else. - Yogi Berra
You never answered the question.

If the governor refuses to lock down Like Governor Cuomo just did...what do you expect Trump to do?
I’m fine if you don’t like my plan. I gave it a few minutes of thought by myself after nailing my wife. Trump is the one who should have a plan crafted by experts but doesn’t have a clue.
'Experts' are changing their mind weekly. This is a new animal, there is no blueprint. The best plan lies somewhere between fuckit let's do nothing and OMG we need to shut down everything down until we see no new cases.
The only thing they know for sure is that the virus is spread from person to person through the air. So they are following the age old solution for an airborne epidemic, separate people and the transmission will stop. It is not an elegant solution but given time it will work.

actually the most recent inputs from the "experts" say that the airborne spread is not as likely as from contact with an infected surface. Much like the common cold or the flu.

Are you still trying out that "this is just like the flu" line? It's not.

flu_covid_comparison_1_high_res.jpg

Intelligent posters read the post in context before responding to it. Care to try again? the other poster and I were discussing transmission of the virus. Neither of us said it was the same as the flu in any other way. Might be best if you went back to bed.

And yet that has been your meme. Do you now recognize that COVID is far worse than the seasonal flu?

worse in terms of mortality rate, but in terms of numbers of dead americans Flu is much worse, so are diabetes, heart disease, suicide, gang violence, car wrecks, dementia, lung diseases, and your all time favorite abortion. How about posting the abortion stats compared to corona for us? BTW, abortion has a 100% mortality rate and you fully support that.

What makes corona scary is that at the moment there is no effective proven cure or preventative, but those are coming very soon. This thing will end, relax witchey.

It is worse in every way than the common flu, Fishy. Yes, it will end, but not as soon as any of us want it to no matter how much sunshine Trump blows up your ass.
It definitely is not worse in every way than the common flu. You have to be a colossal moron or a colossal douchebag to say a thing like that.

So tell us the ways in which the flu is worse than this. See, because actual medical professionals say it is. Are you an expert in infectious diseases as well as a computer tech?

There is one important way it IS like the flu. You can reduce the spread by staying home, washing your hands and wearing a mask in public.
80,000 people died of the flu last winter, dingbat, and 100 million died of the Spanish flu.

Actual medical profossionals told us a two weeks ago that wearing a mask didn't do any good. Now they are telling us it does.
e8z91aebpdr41.jpg

An unimportant accident. Time to stop the self-caused psychopathology of the USA, which self-destroys your country.

This was Germany in 1945 - the whole country was down to the ground.

110357-004-BCD6DA37.jpg

You made this. You don't expect to be hated from Germans for this - and indeed we don't hate the USA and we don't hate Russia too. Why should we do so? But for you it is totally normal to hate Russia, to hate China, to hate Europe and others. The Iran had nothing to do with 9/11. Saudi Arabia had to do with 9/11. Now you are a friend of Saudi Arabia and an enemy of the Iran. Somehow strange isn't it? Why do you sell weapons to Saudi Arabia? Why do you sell weapons at all? Yearning for death?

Last edited:

By whom?

Oh, so it's OK that someone get infected and possibly die, because they're essential service?

What's next, is government going to decide what items you are allowed to buy based on is item essential or not? Oh shit, they're already doing that.
The same people that declare that police, fire, medical services, food production. and distribution are essential service also declare the mail is also. If folks don't get their s.s. checks, retirement, other funds through the mail, they will have no money to buy groceries and pay for medical services. In a national emergency, someone has to make the decision on what services are essential and by default it's the government.

This paper develops and implements a method to monetize the impact of moderate social distancing on deaths from COVID-19. Using the Ferguson et al. (2020) simulation model of COVID-19’s spread and mortality impacts in the United States, we project that 3-4 months of moderate distancing beginning in late March 2020 would save 1.7 million lives by October 1. Of the lives saved, 630,000 are due to avoided overwhelming of hospital intensive care units. Using the projected age-specific reductions in death and age-varying estimates of the United States Government’s value of a statistical life, we find that the mortality benefits of social distancing are about $8 trillion or $60,000 per US household. Roughly 90% of the monetized benefits are projected to accrue to people age 50 or older. Overall, the analysis suggests that social distancing initiatives and policies in response to the COVID-19 epidemic have substantial economic benefits.

People have known for centuries that staying away from sick people in an epidemic prevents the spread of disease. Since there is no way of knowing whose sick, social distancing is all we got.

I could agree with social distancing. I don't agree with forcing people into their homes.

History teaches us that an epidemic has never been overcome by quarantines, but only by hygienic measures. Quarantines do not protect populations in which the disease is already present, they can only save a little time, but it cannot defeat the disease itself.

Stay-at-home has been sold to the public on the basis of protecting us. After all, our leaders care about us. They have only our best interests at heart. Right? And what is more terrifying to anyone than the state of their health? None of us want to put our loved ones lives in danger. And so we become even more compliant than normal.

I think Franklin said something like, “Those who would give up liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Considering the continuous fear coming from our leaders and especially media, I don't know if any of us could feel safe. And government totalitarian response to an invisible enemy should make all of us feel demonstrably less free.

View attachment 320137
When you have no vaccine or medical treatment to stop a virus which transmits by droplets in the air from coughing, sneezing, and talking, the only action left to stop the transmission is the separation of people. Whether it works or not depends on the people or governments success at enforcing the separation.

If a society does nothing, enough people will be sicken or die thus denying the virus enough hosts to spread. This approach is dependents on the value society puts on human life.

So people who are working today, in grocery stores, post offices, gas stations, pizza places, including police, firefighters are not potential transmitters? The values of their lives are lower than of those who stay home? Why they should work and pit their health or lives on line, and others should not? What value society put on their lives? They're human too, right?
Someone has to make food, medical services, law enforcement, and fire protection, and other essential services available to the public. In any national emergency, there will always be those that will be called on to render essential services. The value of their lives is even greater than those that sit at home because the lives of others depend on them.

By whom?

The same people that declare that police, fire, medical services, food production. and distribution are essential service also declare the mail is also. If folks don't get their s.s. checks, retirement, other funds through the mail, they will have no money to buy groceries and pay for medical services. In a national emergency, someone has to make the decision on what services are essential and by default it's the government.

We make a difference between system-relevant and system-irrelevant jobs. Nearly everyone agrees what this is and what not. By the way: We found out system relevant jobs are often not payed very well. Tourism for example is system irrelevant at all - even dangerous. A tragedy sometimes - but we will see. For sure some companies will go down in spite of economical help programs. Most are hopefully able to hibernate some weeks, months or this year - in worst case two years.

View attachment 320137

Someone has to make food, medical services, law enforcement, and fire protection, and other essential services available to the public. In any national emergency, there will always be those that will be called on to render essential services. The value of their lives is even greater than those that sit at home because the lives of others depend on them.

So why are those whose lives are not valuable as much, locked at home?

Forum List

Back