Orrin Hatch, longtime Utah Republican senator, dead at 88

Former Utah Republican Senator Orrin Hatch has died at the age of 88, according to a release from his foundation.

Orrin Hatch, longtime Utah Republican senator, dead at 88
I wonder which mormon heaven he went to?
Wow...
He's been a senator for a long time. Bulwark of the Republican party. He's been somewhat quieter in recent years...but people still try to get sound bytes from him because of his long standing positions. He was a senator from the Newt Gingrich years during Clinton's presidency. Seems like he served longer than that. But yeah...he was known as the "angry republican " for years....he had a great looking angry face.

i stole the term "doggone" from him...he worked across the aisle with Ted Kennedy and briefly ran for president i believe in 2000...funny guy, great Senator

“I wouldn't want to see homosexuals teaching school anymore than I'd want to see members of the American Nazi Party teaching school."-Orrin Hatch

"Orrin Hatch said: 'We have made a mockery' of refugee law, 'because of politics and pressure.' We let in one ethnic group out of compassion, then they form an ethnic power bloc to demand that all their fellow countrymen be let in, too."
-COULTER COLUMN, 2017

So what?
Another old, useless politician.
Who did more harm to American than good - like 99% of all of them do (on both sides).

Good riddance.

Hard to remember a world like the one where he helped get RBG on the Supreme Court.

FRE5bN6VUAAWMsE

"He later became an ally of Republican President Donald Trump, using his role as chairman of the powerful Senate Finance Committee to get a major rewrite of the U.S. tax codes to the president’s desk. In return, Trump helped Hatch deliver on a key issue for Republicans in Utah with a contentious move to drastically downsize two national monuments that had been declared by past presidents."

I noticed his death has been mostly ignored by the media. He was a Senator who got things done and was willing to work with the other side. We need more like him. Thanks for the thread. :thup:

Just found this article this morning:

FILE - Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, attends a news conference with Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington on Oct. 4, 2018. A longtime senator known for working across party lines, Hatch died Saturday, April 23, 2022, at age 88. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)

Obit Orrin Hatch
ASSOCIATED PRESS
LINDSAY WHITEHURST
Sat, April 23, 2022, 9:02 PM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Orrin G. Hatch, the longest-serving Republican senator in history who was a fixture in Utah politics for more than four decades, died Saturday at age 88.
His death was announced in a statement from his foundation, which did not specify a cause.
A staunch conservative on most economic and social issues, he also teamed with Democrats several times during his long career on issues ranging from stem cell research to rights for people with disabilities to expanding children’s health insurance. He also formed friendships across the aisle, particularly with the late Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy.
Hatch also championed GOP issues like abortion limits and helped shape the U.S. Supreme Court, including defending Justice Clarence Thomas against sexual harassment allegations during confirmation hearings.

Bless his family as he is thanked for his service, and his special trait of trying to bring civil bipartisan decisions to be. May God comfort and heal those of his family and friends circle.

Edit note: Dear insolent imp, I did not mean to steal your thunder. I searched "Orin Hatch" and probably for reasons of my misspelling, did not find anything, much less your post that was placed here last night. So, my apologies, and thank you. I lived in his neighboring state of Wyoming for 35 years before retiring in Texas to be close to my sister who had cancer. She got well, and then got COPD, but we had 6 years together after my 35 year absence. I never met Senator Hatch, but was glad to know he was Senator in the most conservative state in the USA, Utah. We were pretty conservative in Wyoming, but they were at least one vote ahead of us in conservative votes. Not sure what that was. :dunno:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back