Oregon will allow undocumented immigrants to get licenses

Is there a good reason for providing DLs to people who are in the country without documentation?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Yes, it will make them feel more secure and then perhaps prompt them to become legal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it will prompt others to test the limits of what they can get away with

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes, it's a way for the state to make more money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's a way for the state to make more money

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
With a picture the cops at least know what he looks like-duh and fuck your Quisling bullshit this has nothing to do with Nazism..
Well that's real bright, Champ. If the cops are contemplating arresting someone for any number of reasons they undoubtedly know what he looks like anyway. Duh.
A picture doesn't necessarily identify someone who has stolen someone's identity, a favorite trick of illegals.

And I'll continue to call you a quisling as long as you continue to willingly assist the left in turning this nation into a third world cesspool through illegal immigration primarily. Suck on that, Jack!

The reasons they do it is so they are legal to drive because they be driving anyway. The Feds have the ability to control immigration violations, other people in state govts. do not have any authority to even ask if they are a citizen or not. Do you see how the law works? Some laws are for the feds, and some laws are for the states and neither the two shall intertwine.
It is also known as jurisdiction.
It will also allow them to vote. You forgot that part.

My state requires (actually, strongly SUGGESTS) you have proof of ID -- a DRIVER'S LICENSE.
They can if the law allows local voting but they have to show proof of citizenship in every state to vote in a federal election.Why does the right continuously need reminding of the law?
If we were not engaged in this conversation right now, would you not normally assume that a person who has a valid driver's license is "legit" as in "in good standing"? Or more importantly was that not the way it was previously and doesn't this now blur the lines between legitimate & illegimate standing?

With a picture the cops at least know what he looks like-duh and fuck your Quisling bullshit this has nothing to do with Nazism..
Well that's real bright, Champ. If the cops are contemplating arresting someone for any number of reasons they undoubtedly know what he looks like anyway. Duh.
A picture doesn't necessarily identify someone who has stolen someone's identity, a favorite trick of illegals.

And I'll continue to call you a quisling as long as you continue to willingly assist the left in turning this nation into a third world cesspool through illegal immigration primarily. Suck on that, Jack!
I am not asisting anyone so shove it, and yes you will have to do it alone without my assistance which I do not give...

I've given up expecting two things, at least in public internet forums - 1) to not be called a racist if I oppose a boneheaded concept and 2) for individuals who support this type of legislation to put emotion aside and try using some brain power but I'm going to trudge ahead nonetheless.

My question is as follows - I was required to provide a birth certificate in order to get my first drivers license and to provide a state issued ID at least, in order to obtain a passport. How is our government going to verify people to whom they are issuing drivers licenses if they are "undocumented" which I presume means they have no documents proving who they are?

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Undocumented immigrants in Oregon will legally be able to obtain driver's licenses under a measure sent to the governor's desk.

Senators voted 17-10 Saturday to expand driving privileges to all Oregon residents regardless of their immigration status. Gov. Kate Brown is expected to sign.

The move will make Oregon the 14th state to allow undocumented immigrants to drive. New York approved a similar measure earlier this month.

I moved this last part out of the block above because I don't want to run afoul of any copyright issues

The bill has been a priority for pro-immigration groups who say that undocumented immigrants often live in rural areas which requires having a car. Those without proof of residence say they live in fear that they could be deported over a traffic stop being in the country unlawfully.​

14 states now? Well my dream of $5 dollar a month car insurance with a perfect 25 year or so driving record and no claims is up in smoke.

I've given up expecting two things, at least in public internet forums - 1) to not be called a racist if I oppose a boneheaded concept and 2) for individuals who support this type of legislation to put emotion aside and try using some brain power but I'm going to trudge ahead nonetheless.

My question is as follows - I was required to provide a birth certificate in order to get my first drivers license and to provide a state issued ID at least, in order to obtain a passport. How is our government going to verify people to whom they are issuing drivers licenses if they are "undocumented" which I presume means they have no documents proving who they are?

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Undocumented immigrants in Oregon will legally be able to obtain driver's licenses under a measure sent to the governor's desk.

Senators voted 17-10 Saturday to expand driving privileges to all Oregon residents regardless of their immigration status. Gov. Kate Brown is expected to sign.

The move will make Oregon the 14th state to allow undocumented immigrants to drive. New York approved a similar measure earlier this month.

I moved this last part out of the block above because I don't want to run afoul of any copyright issues

The bill has been a priority for pro-immigration groups who say that undocumented immigrants often live in rural areas which requires having a car. Those without proof of residence say they live in fear that they could be deported over a traffic stop being in the country unlawfully.​
This is the first step toward legalizing illegal aliens. Once done, they are here forever!

I am not asisting anyone so shove it, and yes you will have to do it alone without my assistance which I do not give...
Of course you are. A driver's license SHOULD be valid proof of your identity and status. By giving this BENEFIT to criminal aliens, you're bluring the lines. That may be a great song, but I dont like the lines blurred between American citizens and invading aliens.

Of course you are. A driver's license SHOULD be valid proof of your identity and status. By giving this BENEFIT to criminal aliens, you're bluring the lines. That may be a great song, but I dont like the lines blurred between American citizens and invading aliens.
I predict 5hey are anyway though I give president Trump an A for effort.

You can be undocumented yet have documents on your person which proves your identity. In Missouri you have to prove citizenship to drive in Oregon I guess you do not..
Thank you very much for your explanation, I always thought being undocumented meant not having papers showing that you have permission from the government to be in the U.S. yet at some point, my understanding morphed to a person who has been flying under the radar in order to function as a lawful member of society but had to keep their status hidden because if their true identity were discovered, it would also be discovered that they have not been granted permission to be in the country.

I additionally was not aware that it is only in some states you have to be a citizen in order to obtain a driver's license.

Of course you are, quisling. You are providing a rationale for assisting illegal immigrants helping them as they continue to commit crimes of all sorts here. You are so modest.

The reasons they do it is so they are legal to drive because they be driving anyway. The Feds have the ability to control immigration violations, other people in state govts. do not have any authority to even ask if they are a citizen or not. Do you see how the law works? Some laws are for the feds, and some laws are for the states and neither the two shall intertwine.
Appeasements never work for the good of anyone
Then we should have never bailed out the rich...
Yeah, right. Let's beat up all the employers who treat their employees well, and let's beat them up because they're rich. Moonie, sometimes....

It will also allow them to vote. You forgot that part.

My state requires (actually, strongly SUGGESTS) you have proof of ID -- a DRIVER'S LICENSE.
They can if the law allows local voting but they have to show proof of citizenship in every state to vote in a federal election.Why does the right continuously need reminding of the law?
If we were not engaged in this conversation right now, would you not normally assume that a person who has a valid driver's license is "legit" as in "in good standing"? Or more importantly was that not the way it was previously and doesn't this now blur the lines between legitimate & illegimate standing?
The state does not have jurisdiction to determine if a person is legal or not legal and if they do find out they normally never report it.

Who’s going to pay for their insurance?
I'm sure that's coming to Oregon too just like in California where the state has used taxpayer money (of course) to
set up a cut rate insurance program especially for illegals.

In California you get to pay the full rate for yourself, and then subsidize auto insurance for illegal immigrants on top of that.
It's like in China where your family is billed for the bullets used to kill you by the state.

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded. I actually received what I had hoped for which was thoughtful and respectful points of views from both sides of the issue.

I parted ways with the Democratic Party decades ago specifically due to former California governor Gray Davis making the decision to issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens. My feelings on the issue itself remains unchanged:

Ten years ago, California voters recalled Governor Gray Davis. On October 7, election day, Arnold Schwarzenegger recorded a landslide victory over the incumbent.

Since I was one of the 135 candidates, the circumstances surrounding the election remain vivid. From the time Secretary of State Kevin Shelley certified the recall on July 23, 2013 until the polling booths opened, the unpopular Davis fought to stay even with Schwarzenegger. But Davis steadily lost ground as the weeks passed. Then on September 5, Davis made what might have been his fatal mistake.

Davis ill-advisedly signed SB 60 which would allow illegal aliens to obtain driver’s licenses. With only a month to go in the race, Davis’ popularity plunged. On the final ballot, 55 percent of voters approved the recall, and Schwarzenegger became California’s new governor.

In 2004 and 2006, Schwarzenegger vetoed highly unpopular driver’s license legislation for aliens. Nevertheless, on October 3, Schwarzenegger’s successor, Jerry Brown, signed AB 60, giving aliens the right to drive, ten years after Davis’ failed attempt.

Then on October 8, Brown made good on his promise that driver’s licenses are “only the first step” when he also signed eight other illegal immigrant-friendly bills, some of which, like the Trust Act, directly conflict with federal law. As a result, California is now a sanctuary state. [Governor Jerry Brown Signs Law Granting Driver’s Licenses to Undocumented Immigrants, Fox News Latino, October 3, 2013]

Whether Brown’s immigration overreaching will end in his recall is too early to tell. California’s demographics have changed since Schwarzenegger’s 2006 veto, but citizens are outraged at Brown’s refusal to veto the bill giving driver’s licenses to aliens and the Trust Act, despite public sentiment against both.
How Driver’s Licenses for Illegal Immigrants Led to Gray Davis’ Recall | Californians For Population Stabilization

Appeasements never work for the good of anyone
Then we should have never bailed out the rich...
True, and the auto manufacturers... bush jr was wrong to do so.

Exactly another entitlement now we are giving it to the world that will never be taken away (Good God couldn't we have just stopped with our military protecting them?)

The state does not have jurisdiction to determine if a person is legal or not legal and if they do find out they normally never report it.
Your comment made me think so I went and found the following which really does answer my basic questions (the how they do it as well as why). This definitely makes it easier to understand why people are coming here illegally in such droves. The states essentially are allowing things that the federal government prohibits

13 States (and DC) That Allow Driver's Licenses for People in the Country Illegally
(as of June 18, 2019)

dmvnv-sample-privilege-card.jpg

Sample Nevada driver's authorization card for immigrants in the country illegally. The card is distinguished from driver's licenses for legal residents by the words "Not Valid for Identification" above the blue bar.

Immigrants in the country illegally cannot produce the necessary documents (like a social security card) to obtain a driver’s license under state laws. Beginning in 1993 with Washington state, 13 states and DC have changed their laws to allow immigrants in the country illegally to obtain driver's licenses. Those states hope to encourage unlicensed drivers to pass the driver's license test and obtain car insurance.

Some city governments, including San Francisco, CA, New Haven, CT, and Asbury Park, NJ, issue photo identification cards to residents who are in the country illegally. These ID cards cannot be used as driver's licenses.

1. California Date Effective: Jan. 1, 2015
Bill: AB 60
pdf-logo.gif

Law: Chapter 524, Statutes of 2013
Date Signed: Oct. 3, 2013
Law Description:
The law requires the DMV to issue a California driver's license to anyone who can satisfactorily establish California residency. If the driver cannot show proof of legal residency (with a social security number, for example), the license will have a "recognizable feature" to distinguish the license from those issued to legal residents. The law makes it illegal to discriminate against anyone who holds a driver's license with that mark. The license may not be used for identification purposes.

2. Colorado Date Effective: Aug. 1, 2014
Bill: SB 13-251
pdf-logo.gif

Law: Session Law 42-2-104
Date Signed: June 5, 2013
Law Description:
The law provides driver's licenses to people who filed Colorado state income taxes in the previous year and can show proof of current state residence, or who have an Individual Taxpayer ID and proof of 24 months of state residency, with a passport, consular ID, or military ID. The license will state "Not valid for federal identification, voting, or public benefits purposes."

3. Connecticut Date Effective: Jan. 1, 2015
Bill: HB 6495
pdf-logo.gif

Law: Public Act 13-89
Date Signed: June 6, 2013
Law Description:
The law allows an individual who cannot provide a social security number or other proof of lawful presence to obtain a driver's license if he/she presents proof of identity and Connecticut residency, and signs an affidavit stating he/she will file an application to legalize his/her immigration status or will file an application as soon as he/she is eligible. The law excludes convicted felons. The license cannot be used for proof of identity or voting and is valid for three to six years.
13 States (and DC) That Allow Driver's Licenses for People in the Country Illegally - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org

how do they prove who are?
Can anyone get a state id with whatever name the want?

I have zero power or ability to issue any forms of ID or control a state representative body of legislation..All I am doing is explaining the pros and cons it's you stupid fucks that take to heart.

how do they prove who are?
Can anyone get a state id with whatever name the want?
It almost seems that way from what I've been reading.

Forum List

Back