Oregon Shooter's Mother Wrote About Guns In Online Forum

Oh let it go man. He was just another lunatic who the public can't forget soon enough.

Move on.

Fuck you! With that attitude nothing will change.
It won't. The crazies have completely flooded this country with guns to the point of no return. You want to save lives? Invent a gun that can set phasers to 'stun.' Maybe stun guns will take the market share.

Ya just cant hold the black women responsible for giving her crazy ass son the go ahead to own firearms knowing he was nuts can you?
Fact: it's easier for bad guys to get a gun in this country than any other country on the entire planet.
A statement you know you have no hope of proving -- and thus, a lie.

Oh let it go man. He was just another lunatic who the public can't forget soon enough.

Move on.

It won't. The crazies have completely flooded this country with guns to the point of no return. You want to save lives? Invent a gun that can set phasers to 'stun.' Maybe stun guns will take the market share.

Ya just cant hold the black women responsible for giving her crazy ass son the go ahead to own firearms knowing he was nuts can you?
Fact: it's easier for bad guys to get a gun in this country than any other country on the entire planet.

Yeah right!!

Move on.

300 million+ guns in this country. I could go to the gunstore 5 minutes down the road, and be in and out in 15 minutes with whatever I want. I know because I have done it twice before. And nobody knows where the overwhelming majority of those guns are.

300 million+ guns in this country. I could go to the gunstore 5 minutes down the road, and be in and out in 15 minutes with whatever I want. I know because I have done it twice before. And nobody knows where the overwhelming majority of those guns are.

So you bought them illegally?

Investigators say Harper-Mercer's mother has told them the son was struggling with some mental health issues.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The mother of a gunman who killed nine people and himself at an Oregon community college allowed her troubled son to have guns and acknowledged in online posts that he struggled with autism, but she didn't seem to know he was potentially violent.

The online writings by Laurel Harper date from a year ago to nine years ago and offer fresh insight into the gunman, 26-year-old Christopher Harper-Mercer, and his relationship with his mother.

The Associated Press didn't speak with Harper about the online postings; a knock on her door went unanswered Tuesday, and her phone's voicemail box was full. However, the postings included an email address that is linked to Harper.

She and Harper-Mercer shared an apartment outside Roseburg. Investigators have recovered 14 firearms — six found at Umpqua Community College, where the killings occurred, and eight at the apartment. Neighbors of the mother and son in California, where they lived before moving to Oregon in 2013, have said the two went target shooting together.

Investigators say Harper-Mercer's mother has told them the son was struggling with some mental health issues.

In her online postings, Laurel Harper talked about her love of guns and her son's emotional troubles, but there are no hints of worry that he could become violent.

"I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags. No one will be 'dropping' by my house uninvited without acknowledgement," reads a 3-year-old posting.

She was referring to a Glock handgun and to military-style rifles. A Glock and a military-style rifle were among the weapons seized after the Roseburg shooting rampage.

Laurel Harper wrote in another posting: "I love the long guns & I have an AK-47 en route." She complained about gun-control efforts in "lame states."

She posted several times that her son had Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism.

More: Oregon Shooter's Mother Wrote About Guns In Online Forum

Struggling with mental health issues? Asperger's syndrome? Autism? Holy shit, this nut was a ticking time bomb - and his gun nut mother was too dumb to see it - or acknowledge it. The shooter was like a poster boy for universal background checks.

Sounds like she had her own mental health problems.

I can sell them to whoever I want, and after that who knows where they'll go. As has happened with the majority of guns in this country.

Sad that you think this constitutes proof of your claim.

I can sell them to whoever I want, and after that who knows where they'll go. As has happened with the majority of guns in this country.

That still doesnt prove your assertion that this country is the easiest in which to acquire an illegal firearm.

you can't if you are not on file. It would be 48 hours.

Bring it.
Get off your ass and give it a go.
Don't hide behind your internet anonymity and TALK about it -- DO something.
Don't like the 2nd Amendment? Get off your ass and repeal it. Really. | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
I dare you.
It isn't going to happen, obviously....
.... because people like you aren't willing to do what's necessary to get the job done.
Instead, you mindlessly snipe form behind the safety of your monitor and achieve nothing.
You REALLY think guns are a problem? Do something about it.

FYI I am a conservative and Trump supporter, except when it comes to guns. There is nothing I or anyone else can do about guns, unless the constitution is changed. Do people really think an "armed militia" of citizens owning handguns and shotguns, is going to stop the most advanced and best trained military we have in the U.S.? Seriously. This is not what the founders envisioned. I can guaran fucking T you that.

You're assuming the military is going to be on the side of the gun grabbers.
I promise you they wont be.

Well that's why owning guns is supposedly in the constitution in the first place. It is outdated. Arming the people back then would make them equal with any foreign or domestic military. Today you need tanks and all kinds of other equipment. It ain't going to happen. If the U.S. Military wanted to take over, they would be able to do it in a heartbeat.

Tell that to the Afghanis.
And you have to remember. Even if the military sided with the gun grabbers,which they wont,they cant just bomb indiscriminately without killing none combatants thus turning more people against them.

Move on.

Why didn't the Army raise any red flags?

As far as I'm concerned they should have if they knew he was nuts.

I totally agree! If he wasn't fit to carry a weapon in the Army - he certainly wasn't fit to carry one in civilian life. Why didn't the Army feed information into the federal NICS system about him? It is also apparent that he lied on his federal gun purchase application forms - and his mother obviously knew that also.

This is an excellent question. On the ATF Form 4473, line F. asks if you've had mental issues. Line G. asks if you've ever been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.

I believe the Army stated he was kicked out for failing to meet standards. If mental issues were the cause of him not meeting standards, the Army had a public safety responsibility to document it.

A members actions have to be considered reprehensible for a member to receive a dishonorable so I see why only failing to meet standards didn't cut the mustard there. If mental issues were the reason he failed to meet standards, it should have been documented. Perhaps some sort of statement in the remarks section of the DD 214 would have created a paper trail of mental instability.

I totally agree! If he wasn't fit to carry a weapon in the Army - he certainly wasn't fit to carry one in civilian life. Why didn't the Army feed information into the federal NICS system about him?
Mindless fool....
Even if they had, it would STILL not be illegal for him to own a gun, and so he would STILL pass any and every background check.

This is an excellent question. On the ATF Form 4473, line F. asks if you've had mental issues. Line G. asks if you've ever been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces I believe the Army stated he was kicked out for failing to meet standards. If mental issues were the cause of him not meeting standards, the Army had a public safety responsibility to document it.
A medical discharge from the military is not a dishonorable discharge.
A medical discharge for mental "issues" does not DQ you from baying a gun.
And so, even of all this info was in the NICS system, he would still pass the background check.

I totally agree! If he wasn't fit to carry a weapon in the Army - he certainly wasn't fit to carry one in civilian life. Why didn't the Army feed information into the federal NICS system about him? It is also apparent that he lied on his federal gun purchase application forms - and his mother obviously knew that also.
wow, just wow, you still don't get it about patient rights concerning medical records. You really don't.

This is an excellent question. On the ATF Form 4473, line F. asks if you've had mental issues. Line G. asks if you've ever been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces I believe the Army stated he was kicked out for failing to meet standards. If mental issues were the cause of him not meeting standards, the Army had a public safety responsibility to document it.
A medical discharge from the military is not a dishonorable discharge.
A medical discharge for mental "issues" does not DQ you from baying a gun.
And so, even of all this info was in the NICS system, he would still pass the background check.
but medical records are his. And no one is allowed to make them public accept him.

This is an excellent question. On the ATF Form 4473, line F. asks if you've had mental issues. Line G. asks if you've ever been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.

I believe the Army stated he was kicked out for failing to meet standards. If mental issues were the cause of him not meeting standards, the Army had a public safety responsibility to document it.

A members actions have to be considered reprehensible for a member to receive a dishonorable so I see why only failing to meet standards didn't cut the mustard there. If mental issues were the reason he failed to meet standards, it should have been documented. Perhaps some sort of statement in the remarks section of the DD 214 would have created a paper trail of mental instability.

Exactly!

If the guy was truly nuts and the military knew it I dont have a problem with banning the guy from buying a firearm.
I do however have a bigger problem with the mother condoning his ownership of firearms.
She was in a position to know first hand he had mental problems yet did nothing about it.

If the guy was truly nuts and the military knew it I dont have a problem with banning the guy from buying a firearm.
I do however have a bigger problem with the mother condoning his ownership of firearms.
She was in a position to know first hand he had mental problems yet did nothing about it.
you don't think she might have been afraid of him? Really.

you don't think she might have been afraid of him? Really.

That may very well be.
Or she decided to put her son above his potential victims.

Forum List

Back