Oregon Educators: Making Math Students Show Their Work Is ‘White Supremacy’

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
Educators: Making Math Students Show Their Work Is ‘White Supremacy’ (breitbart.com)

"The Oregon Department of Education is seeking to root out white supremacy in mathematics, manifested by emphasis on “getting the right answer” and making students “show their work.”

As reported Monday by the attentive folks at the College Fix, Oregon’s progressive Department of Education has furnished educators with an 82-page training manual titled “A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction: Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction.”

The education department mailed the manual to teachers as part of Black History Month.

The manual enumerates signs of “white supremacy culture in the mathematics classroom,” which include a focus on “getting the right answer,” an emphasis on “real-world math,” teaching math in a “linear fashion,” students being required to “show their work,” and grading students based on their demonstrated knowledge of the material."

SMH. :cuckoo: :spinner:

This is another example of Democrat moonbattery of the highest order.

Funny how the actual textbook doesn't do what the article says.

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when
.. The focus is on getting the “right” answer.

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.

Instead... Choose problems that have complex, competing, or multiple answers.

Verbal Example: Come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem.
Classroom Activity: Challenge standardized test questions by getting the “right” answer, but justify other answers by unpacking the assumptions that are made in the problem.
Classroom Activity: Deconstructed Multiple Choice - given a set of multiple choice answers, students discuss why these answers may have been included (can also be used to highlight common mistakes).
Professional Development: Study the purpose of math education, and re-envision it. Schooling as we know it began during the industrial revolution, when precision and accuracy were highly valued. What are the myriad ways we can conceptualize mathematics in today’s world and beyond?

Engage with true problem solving.

• Verbal Example:
What are some strategies we can use to engage with this problem?
• Classroom Activity: Using a set of data, analyze it in multiple ways to draw different conclusions.
• Professional Development: Study the art of problem solving by engaging in rich, complex mathematical problems. Consider whether your own content knowledge is sufficient to allow you to problem solve through math without the strategies you typic

1_STRIDE1.pdf (equitablemath.org)

What a joke, really. These 'educators' want to decrease overall level of mathematical knowledge to prevent those not catching up from feeling embarrassed.

Do they know that the Asians do the maths way better than the Whites? Will they be excluded from this white supremacy nonsense and allowed to show their homework? I dont believe this is really happening.

Apparently reading and comprehension are not requirements of conservatism.

Can you explain this new initiative then please?

I will give you even an example. There is a mathematical puzzle. A train departed from the city A and moves toward the city B with constant average speed of 60 mph. Another train departed from the city B toward the A and moves with constant average speed of 30 mph.

The distance between the cities is 300 miles. How long does it take the trains to reach the city C which is located between the two cities at the distance of 200 miles from the city A?

How to solve this math using the new methodic?

I will give you even an example. There is a mathematical puzzle. A train departed from the city A and moves toward the city B with constant average speed of 60 mph. Another train departed from the city B toward the A and moves with constant average speed of 30 mph.

The distance between the cities is 300 miles. How long does it take the trains to reach the city C which is located between the two cities at the distance of 200 miles from the city A?

If I did this correctly both trains arrive at City C at the same time, after each traveling for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

At 60 mph it will take Train A departing city A 3 hours and 20 minutes to arrive at city C, 200 miles away.
Explanation:
  • In one hour's time the train will travel 60 miles (speed is 60 miles per hour).
  • In two hours the train will have traveled 120 miles.
  • In three hours it will have traveled 180 miles (going 60 mph X 3 hours = 180 miles traveled) .
  • It will take an additional 20 minutes to go the last 20 miles to complete the 200 miles journey to City C.
At 60 mph it will take Train B departing city B 3 hours and 20 minutes to arrive at city C, 100 miles away.
Explanation:
  • In one hour's time the train will travel 30 miles (speed is 30 miles per hour).
  • In two hours the train will have traveled 60 miles.
  • In three hours it will have traveled 90 miles (going 30 mph X 3 hours = 90 miles traveled)
  • It will take an additional 20 minutes to go the last 10 miles to complete the 100 miles journey to City C.

If I did this correctly both trains arrive at City C at the same time, after each traveling for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

At 60 mph it will take Train A departing city A 3 hours and 20 minutes to arrive at city C, 200 miles away.
Explanation:
  • In one hour's time the train will travel 60 miles (speed is 60 miles per hour).
  • In three hours it will have traveled 180 miles (going 60 mph X 3 hours = 180 miles traveled) .
  • It will take an additional 20 minutes to go the last 20 miles to complete the 200 miles journey to City C.
At 60 mph it will take Train B departing city B 3 hours and 20 minutes to arrive at city C, 100 miles away.
Explanation:
  • In one hour's time the train will travel 30 miles (speed is 30 miles per hour).
  • In three hours it will have traveled 90 miles (going 30 mph X 3 hours = 90 miles traveled)
  • It will take an additional 20 minutes to go the last 10 miles to complete the 100 miles journey to City C.
Yeah, that is correct. There is a universal formula S = V * t. Where S is a distance, V is a speed and t is time. So, t = S / V.
200 miles / 60 mph = 3,33..3 hours;
100 miles / 30 mph = 3,33..3 hours.
1 hour is 60 minutes, so 0.33 * 60 min = 19.8 min or 20 min according to the rule of contraction (I don't know how it sounds properly in English).

But my point wasnt exactly that. According to the new rules in Oregon, how this puzzle would be solved in a class?

Explanation:
Explanation:
Yeah, that is correct. There is a universal formula S = V * t. Where S is a distance, V is a speed and t is time. So, t = S / V.
200 miles / 60 mph = 3,33..3 hours;
100 miles / 30 mph = 3,33..3 hours.
1 hour is 60 minutes, so 0.33 * 60 min = 19.8 min or 20 min according to the rule of contraction (I don't know how it sounds properly in English).

But my point wasnt exactly that. According to the new rules in Oregon, how this puzzle would be solved in a class?
I'm not sure. Not to automatically suspect people of cheating but if a person has the correct answer but can't explain how they derived that answer, then they have failed to demonstrate their knowledge. Would wouldn't have to do it your way or my way, just as long as they could explain HOW or even WHY the answer is correct.

For as long as I can remember we (the students) were required to show our work when doing math problems (algebra and above). We weren't allowed to use our calculators until we could demonstrate that we could arrive at the same answer on paper. I still think this was an excellent habit to get us into.

One of the main reasons I liked math as much as I did was because it was dependable, it never changed.

I'm not sure. Not to automatically suspect people of cheating but if a person has the correct answer but can't explain how they derived that answer, then they have failed to demonstrate their knowledge. Would wouldn't have to do it your way or my way, just as long as they could explain HOW or even WHY the answer is correct
If a student can't explain how they got some figure, then the odds are they got it by cheating (and the odds are high, I should admit). Sometimes, there may be a number of ways to solve a puzzle. But the correct answer (a certain figure, not a way of solution) will be only one.

What it looks like is that students are going to be required to determine more than one possibility and be able to explain it. The new strategy challenges students to determine how each of the possible listed answer could be probable. In the workplace, there is never just one right answer and what they are doing here is challenging students to analyze and figure out multiple solutions. This is a good thing.

Certainly the premise of the OP is disingenuous when you read the plan. No one is states that getting the right answer is white supremacy. This is the problem with many of these posts, they do not look at facts.

Educators: Making Math Students Show Their Work Is ‘White Supremacy’ (breitbart.com)

"The Oregon Department of Education is seeking to root out white supremacy in mathematics, manifested by emphasis on “getting the right answer” and making students “show their work.”

As reported Monday by the attentive folks at the College Fix, Oregon’s progressive Department of Education has furnished educators with an 82-page training manual titled “A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction: Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction.”

The education department mailed the manual to teachers as part of Black History Month.

The manual enumerates signs of “white supremacy culture in the mathematics classroom,” which include a focus on “getting the right answer,” an emphasis on “real-world math,” teaching math in a “linear fashion,” students being required to “show their work,” and grading students based on their demonstrated knowledge of the material."

SMH. :cuckoo: :spinner:

This is another example of Democrat moonbattery of the highest order.
And I thought Mormons had a dumb belief sysem. The Left just set another standard for dumb, that even Mormons have not yet reached.

Forum List

Back