Only in America folks, only in america.........

tigerred59

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2015
Houston Families Face Rent Demands On Flooded Properties
“We don’t have any money. We don’t have anything,” said one tenant.

Our landlords say we have to pay rent and late fees and every day it is going up,” Rocio Fuentes, of Pasadena, Texas, told the newspaper. “We are paying rent for somewhere we can’t live in. They said, ‘You aren’t the only ones in this situation,’ but what are we supposed to do? We don’t have any money. We don’t have anything.”

They're smelling that FEMA money and they want their share of it!!!

Landlords are the scum of the earth. Below lawyers, even. At least some of them are.

Our landlords say we have to pay rent and late fees and every day it is going up,” Rocio Fuentes, of Pasadena, Texas, told the newspaper. “We are paying rent for somewhere we can’t live in. They said, ‘You aren’t the only ones in this situation,’ but what are we supposed to do? We don’t have any money. We don’t have anything.”

Why in the world would you claim "only in America'?

You seriously believe it doesn't happen elsewhere?

Landlords are the scum of the earth. Below lawyers, even. At least some of them are.

You know, painting all landlords with the same broad brush isn't really doing anyone any good. You have to point out the crappy ones, and separate them from the good ones.

When I first came to Amarillo, they aren't used to having military show up around here, and I looked for a while trying to find a place to live. Well, finally ended up in a 4 apartment building that was owned by a retired Master Chief. And, he was probably one of the best landlords I ever had. Not only did he come over to visit and check up on us and the property every couple of weeks, but he actually cared and would work with people if they were a bit short that month. I never had to have him let me slide but other people did. And, eventually he made me apartment manager. All I had to do was collect rent at the beginning, sweep the hallways and mow the lawn. Only ran me 250/mo, for rent and all utilities. Probably one of the best apartments I ever lived in.

As far as the idiots that are trying to charge for a place that is unlivable? They should be taken to court, because if the place isn't liveable, they shouldn't charge money for it.

I'm sure they'll get some FEMA money too. My question is: Okay, what's your misdirected outrage taking aim at this time?

I'm cool with painting all landlords as scum as long as we can get serious about that "idea" and say that apartments are not allowed in America anymore heh

I smell fake news.
I sincerely doubt there is a state in the union where a landlord can charge rent for unlivable property. That is why property owners have flood insurance. You cannot be charged rent for property that is non tenable

• Banned

I smell fake news.
I sincerely doubt there is a state in the union where a landlord can charge rent for unlivable property. That is why property owners have flood insurance. You cannot be charged rent for property that is non tenable
Meanwhile, hundreds of residents who were forced to evacuate a flooded apartment complex in Katy, Texas, have been given eviction notices, The Houston Chronicle reported.

• Banned

Of course it does, but not every one is running around calling themselves, CHRISTIANS!!

I smell fake news.
Meanwhile, hundreds of residents who were forced to evacuate a flooded apartment complex in Katy, Texas, have been given eviction notices, The Houston Chronicle reported.

Again, FAKE NEWS.
The building owners stated all of these apartments suffered permanent damage, and will have to be completely restored. So by law they must inform tenants that their lease is terminated.
This is completely normal, you do realize this confirms what I said about your first errant post?

You know, painting all landlords with the same broad brush isn't really doing anyone any good. You have to point out the crappy ones, and separate them from the good ones.

When I first came to Amarillo, they aren't used to having military show up around here, and I looked for a while trying to find a place to live. Well, finally ended up in a 4 apartment building that was owned by a retired Master Chief. And, he was probably one of the best landlords I ever had. Not only did he come over to visit and check up on us and the property every couple of weeks, but he actually cared and would work with people if they were a bit short that month. I never had to have him let me slide but other people did. And, eventually he made me apartment manager. All I had to do was collect rent at the beginning, sweep the hallways and mow the lawn. Only ran me 250/mo, for rent and all utilities. Probably one of the best apartments I ever lived in.

As far as the idiots that are trying to charge for a place that is unlivable? They should be taken to court, because if the place isn't liveable, they shouldn't charge money for it.
I DIDN'T PAINT ALL LANDLORDS WITH THE SAME BROAD BRUSH. READ THE WHOLE POST.

Of course it does, but not every one is running around calling themselves, CHRISTIANS!!

ALL of these landlords you're whining about are calling themselves Christians?

Most of the residents in these apartment complexes are minorities and they smell this FEMA money and want their share of it, cause most of them are moving elsewhere and they know it.

He is right. Only in America have people been taught to sit up and beg when a storm comes in. And demand the use of somebody elses property for free.

The landlord has to deliver a place that habitable no?

Stop believing Fake News

I smell fake news.
even with your limited intelligence tiger i would think you would read your article before posting it.....

Update: CWS Apartment Homes issued the following statement Tuesday:

"The Marquis at Cinco Ranch has been submerged in stagnate water, debris and with intermittent power for a week. Based on these conditions, the community is uninhabitable. We preemptively released our customers from their lease agreements in the hope that it would expedite their relocation process. CWS reserved a number of apartment homes, in the Houston Metropolitan Area, specifically to accommodate our displaced residents. In addition, we offered a $500 relocation assistance credit to help offset their moving expenses. Given the prolonged status of the mandatory evacuation, we sent all of our residents a notification yesterday morning that we would work with them on an extension to move their belongings out should they need one. Also, we are extending the $500 relocation assistance offer."

Across the Houston area, tensions between landlords and tenants are rising as both grapple with flooded homes and apartments, late rent payments and uncertainty over the next paycheck. Landlord-tenant disputes are often the first to surface after a hurricane, said attorney Saundra Brown, disaster manager at Lone Star Legal Aid.

What is fake is that these leaseholders have to pay rent no matter what.
That is a lie. PERIOD.
Under Texas law, a renter may end the lease if there are any conditions posing serious health risks and provide proof, namely photos.
Sure the land owner may threaten and poster, but he/she knows as well as you do that they have no recourse. They better have flood insurance, if not - they will go bankrupt.
Either way - the renter is unharmed.
Also - as for renters receiving evictions - of course they are. If the land owner is facing repair costs far outweighing the potential return - they may end the lease.

How else would it work???

On a side note, we can be sure that about this time next year we will see reports of $100's millions in fraud and waste. In Hurricane Sandy as an example, there was even $18 million that FEMA cannot account for - they have no idea where it went. As well as another $40 million that they themselves believe they paid to fraudulent claims.

There will be many, many, many people with their hands out.

Forum List

Back