On 29 November 1943, stalin angers Churchill with a “joke” about executing 50,000 German officers.

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
Stalin liquidates millions.
Stalin: calm down dude, it’s just a prank.
ps
it was NOT a joke, koba killed 1000s Polish - Belarusian - Ukrainian officers in Katyn´

Stalin
on the second day of the Teheran Conference. Sparty talks about this in his War Against Humanity series, but we thought we’d share how Churchill will describe it after the war: ˝The Marshal entered in a genial manner upon a serious and even deadly aspect of the punishment to be inflicted upon the Germans. The German General Staff, he said, must be liquidated. If these were rounded up and shot at the end of the war German military strength would be extirpated... On this I thought it right to say, ‘The British Parliament and public will never tolerate mass executions. Even if in war passion they allowed them to begin they would turn violently against those responsible after the first butchery had taken place. The Soviets must be under no delusion on this point.’ Stalin, however, perhaps only in mischief, pursued the subject. ‘Fifty thousand,’ he said, ‘must be shot.’ I was deeply angered. ‘I would rather,’ I said, ‘be taken out into the garden here and now and be shot myself than sully my own and my country’s honour by such infamy.’ At this point the President intervened. He had a compromise to propose. Not fifty thousand should be shot, but only forty-nine thousand. By this he hoped, no doubt, to reduce the whole matter to ridicule...

These Nazi officers were war criminals -- thus they could be legally executed.

No, actually they were not. Try looking at the actual records, very few officers of the German Army were accused of war crimes let alone guilty of them.

And the correct term would be German Officers, or Wehrmacht Officers. And only a handful were actual party members.

Forum List

Back