OK 10 commandement statue "smashed to pieces"

I don't think the monument should be at that location as well but this is nothing more then a cowardly act of vandalism. I hope they find the person and prosecute them for these illegal actions.

Apparently the man responsible has mental health issues related to a head injury he received years ago. He said Satan made him do it. It sounds like this isn't a stunt he would normally undertake.

A crucifix is an example of a forbidden idol. Especially the great big ones ina church people kneel and bow before.

Not to bow down to an idol, even if that is not its mode of worship (Ex. 20:5)
Not to worship an idol in the way in which it is usually worshipped (Ex. 20:5)
Not to swear by an idol to its worshipers, nor cause them to swear by it (Ex. 23:13)

Relevant one here,
Not to set up a pillar (for worship) (Deut. 16:22)

No, a crucifix is not an example of a forbidden idol. Keep in mind that in Old Testament times, people made graven images (think golden calf) to worship. There were engravings on the Ark of the Covenant, but they did not qualify as idols--they were not worshiped, no one thought they had powers. They simply represented the power and holiness of God.

Catholics do not believe the crucifix has power, the belief is that Christ has power, and the crucifix represents the sacrifice he made for us. It is an object of reflection and contemplation--it helps keep the mind and spirit focused on God.

These commandments are Jewish, any religion not Judaism, especially everything that came afterwords, qualifies as forbidden and/or idolatrous. As far as Judaism is concerned Christianity, Islam, and everything else is pagan worship.

A crucifix is an example of a forbidden idol. Especially the great big ones ina church people kneel and bow before.

Not to swear by an idol to its worshipers, nor cause them to swear by it (Ex. 23:13)

Relevant one here,
Agree 100, and then some, percent. There are some verses even more specific than that as to what should not be made into an idol.
How about you assign yourself as the Field Marshall General in Charge and begin your program of idol destruction?

It's the Christian thing to do.
Gee Hollie, thanks for explaining religion to me.
We'll examine talking snakes in our next lesson.

I don't think the monument should be at that location as well but this is nothing more then a cowardly act of vandalism. I hope they find the person and prosecute them for these illegal actions.

Apparently the man responsible has mental health issues related to a head injury he received years ago. He said Satan made him do it. It sounds like this isn't a stunt he would normally undertake.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

Relevant one here,

No, a crucifix is not an example of a forbidden idol. Keep in mind that in Old Testament times, people made graven images (think golden calf) to worship. There were engravings on the Ark of the Covenant, but they did not qualify as idols--they were not worshiped, no one thought they had powers. They simply represented the power and holiness of God.

Catholics do not believe the crucifix has power, the belief is that Christ has power, and the crucifix represents the sacrifice he made for us. It is an object of reflection and contemplation--it helps keep the mind and spirit focused on God.

These commandments are Jewish, any religion not Judaism, especially everything that came afterwords, qualifies as forbidden and/or idolatrous. As far as Judaism is concerned Christianity, Islam, and everything else is pagan worship.

Quite true. Jews believe worshiping Jesus is worship of a mere man, and therefore idolatrous. They have no belief in Trinity or that Jesus is one with God. The Jewish point is easily understood. What is not so easily understood are other Christian denominations calling Catholics idol worshipers.

I wonder what happened with the satanic statue they were planning to put next to the Ten Commandments? I was looking forward to a selfie of me on his lap for my facebook page. LOL!

Screen-Shot-20f14-05-01-at-1-22-20-PM.jpg

Someone Smashed The Disputed Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument To Pieces

AP / Huffington Post | By Sean Murphy

• So - a vandal accomplished what our Constitution could not.
Screw the Constitution, right? The nutters will have another one back up in no time.

(Ignore the bullet points. Apparently, god put them there.)

Again, freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Screw the Constitution, right? The nutters will have another one back up in no time.

Keep it in churches, where it belongs.

Same with any and all other religious statues.

The constitution has an uncomfortable habit of getting in the way of religious fundamentalists.
Or more precisely, religious fundamentalists fail to read and comprehend Establishment Clause jurisprudence which would instruct them when religious expression in government is Constitutional and when it is not, as they often times act in a manner offensive to the First Amendment.

The constitution has an uncomfortable habit of getting in the way of religious fundamentalists.
Or more precisely, religious fundamentalists fail to read and comprehend Establishment Clause jurisprudence which would instruct them when religious expression in government is Constitutional and when it is not, as they often times act in a manner offensive to the First Amendment.
What religious fundamentalists failed to read and understand was the Bible or else Moses would never have been put on the side of the Supreme Court building. Although I must admit, he is looking pretty buff.

I suspect some malcontent atheist will fly a plane into the Supreme Court building, particularly the east face where Moses is holding up the Ten Commandments.
And this would be an example of conservative ignorance of Establishment Clause jurisprudence.

Religious symbols displayed in conjunction with government property are Constitutional provided they are displayed with other religious symbols and/or secular images that don't endorse a specific religious belief (Allegheny County v. ACLU (1989)).

In addition to Moses, the Supreme Court building also displays other lawgivers:

“Here the sculpture group is by Hermon A. MacNeil, and the marble figures represent great lawgivers, Moses, Confucius, and Solon, flanked by symbolic groups representing Means of Enforcing the Law[.]”

The Supreme Court Building - Supreme Court of the United States

Consequently, the image of Moses and the ten commandments is secular, it expresses a secular intent, it endorses no religion or religious belief, and does not manifest an excessive entanglement of religion and government.

The ten commandments in the Oklahoma display, however, is likely not Constitutional: its intent is not secular, it seeks to promote religion, and represents an excessive entanglement with government.

Keep it in churches, where it belongs.

Same with any and all other religious statues.

Again, I don't see that in the 1st amendment. I see the inability of the government to force you to tithe to a religion, and/or to force you to attend one as the "US national Church"

It wasn't me. I have an alibi. :)
Hollie and Taz don't count.

God said no idols. That is using the ten commandments as an idol.

While there are many prohibitions about idolatry. it'd only qualify as that if they the thing became a center of worship. Then it'd be a graven idol.
Rachael took the idols from her father when she left with Jacob. I do not think those were worship idols.
why don't you think they were worship idols?......

Forum List

Back