Oil spills are bad

Despite what many believe, nature is extremely adept at "cleaning" up oil spills.

Despite what many believe, nature is extremely adept at "cleaning" up oil spills.

Nope. Look at the Yellowstone river spill.
When the Exxon Valdez spilled all of that oil, the areas man cleaned are scarred. The areas they could not reach to "clean" are pristine.

Microbes ate the oil and did a million times better job of it than man did.

We all must learn our lessons from disasters such as oil spills. yes nature teaches us.

...What?
Microbes, dude. They are extremely efficient at eating oil. That's how oil spills are cleaned on land. They dump a bunch of "bugs" (aka microbes) and then bury it. Come back in a few years and the oil is gone. Eaten by the tiny tiny microscopic "bugs".

Any other attempt to "clean" it using solvents by man will be disastrous.

When the Exxon Valdez spilled all of that oil, the areas man cleaned are scarred. The areas they could not reach to "clean" are pristine.

The microbes have had a decade to eat the Yellowstone river spill.

We all must learn our lessons from disasters such as oil spills. yes nature teaches us.
The gas cap in the North Slope contains residual oil. This means that at one time the gas cap was filled with billions of barrels of oil and through geologic processes the reservoir tilted and the oil leaked out to the surface. Now this would have happened millions of years ago but billions of barrels of oil were released to the surface and no signs of it are left anywhere. Nature is amazing. She cleans up after herself.

Do you know how much oil was released by nature in California? Shit loads.

And they did too. :)

Look at the pictures of the Yellowstone river.

I was employed for 5-1/2 years by an enviro contractor that was based in Alaska. Believe me water borne petroleum based spills are best avoided from salt water spills clear down to blown cylinder head gaskets(I've been there a few times). H2O + petroleum = fiasco. There is evidence in some situations that salt water can turn crude into an inert solid(?) mass. Upon examination oil tankers sunk in the pacific ocean during WW2 have exhibited this characteristic but to what extent I do not know. Saltwater vs fresh water & density(gravity) of the petroleum medium in question contribute to how a petroleum spill is approached regarding tackling a situation. I discovered a couple of what I think are interesting links with one of the links illustrating ever increasing technology regarding petroleum spill clean up operations.

How Is an Oil Spill in a River Different Than One in the Ocean? | response.restoration.noaa.gov

I was employed for 5-1/2 years by an enviro contractor that was based in Alaska. Believe me water borne petroleum based spills are best avoided from salt water spills clear down to blown cylinder head gaskets(I've been there a few times). H2O + petroleum = fiasco. There is evidence in some situations that salt water can turn crude into an inert solid(?) mass. Upon examination oil tankers sunk in the pacific ocean during WW2 have exhibited this characteristic but to what extent I do not know. Saltwater vs fresh water & density(gravity) of the petroleum medium in question contribute to how a petroleum spill is approached regarding tackling a situation. I discovered a couple of what I think are interesting links with one of the links illustrating ever increasing technology regarding petroleum spill clean up operations.

How Is an Oil Spill in a River Different Than One in the Ocean? | response.restoration.noaa.gov
I don't disagree that they should be avoided. Salt water is especially harmful. There's no remediation for that.

Look at the pictures of the Yellowstone river.
From today? Do you have any?

Oil spills are certainly bad but it's estimated that German U Boats sunk no less than 120 oil tankers off the U.S. east coast and Gulf during the four years of WW2.

Forum List

Back