Ohio police chief out after leaving 'Ku Klux Klan' note on Black officer's coat

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Fortunately I don't have to make any decisions based on what the chief's motive was for doing this but it does serve to remind me that there are many white people who are completely clueless when it comes to understanding the history of racial oppression in the United States and why you just don't do things such as this, even as an alleged "joke", because it's not funny.

What is moire worrisome is that since this guy was a police officer for 30 years and the chief for the last 8, has he done things like this before and to the detriment of other black people.

Good thing they had a camera huh

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-police-chief-out-after-leaving-ku-klux-klan-note-n1273049
Surveillance video from the Sheffield Lake Police Department in Ohio shows the longtime chief printing a note reading “Ku Klux Klan” and placing it on a Black officer's raincoat, according to the city's mayor.​
Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a Ku Klux Klan sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.
Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a "Ku Klux Klan" sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.WKYC​
Sheffield Lake Mayor Dennis Bring said he was made aware of the incident, which occurred last week, by the police union. Chief Anthony Campo was immediately placed on administrative leave pending a review of the video, Bring told NBC affiliate WKYC of Cleveland.​
"I said, 'I don't want to even hear about it," Bring said, describing his conversation with Campo. "I said, 'You've already have admitted to it.' And I said, 'You've got 10 minutes to get out of this office.' I said, 'I want your keys, badge and that’s it. Get out.' "​
Bring said he also met with the officer following the incident to apologize for Campo’s actions.​
"It took us 10 minutes to even talk to each other because we were both very emotional," he said. "And I apologized to him. We talked about the situation and he told me a little bit more. I was just flabbergasted. There's no one word to explain how disgusting this is."​
The footage, which was obtained by the news station, captured Campo standing at the department’s copier and placing the klan printout on the coat. The KKK was a secretive society organized in the South after the Civil War to assert white supremacy, often using violence.​
Campo told WKYC in a phone interview that he retired shortly after being placed on leave. He added that what was meant to be part of an off-color joke is being “overblown” and he has great respect for the officer, whom he hired, according to the news station.​
NBC News' efforts to reach Campo and the police union on Saturday were unsuccessful.​
Officials in Sheffield Lake, a city about 25 miles west of Cleveland, have not released the name of the officer involved. According to Bring, the officer is declining to speak and has retained a lawyer for possible action.​
Campo spent three decades on the police force and became chief eight years ago.​

Here is the thing. He had to know it was being recorded. He had to know there was a camera.

Maybe it was simply a poor attempt at a joke but he is too stupid, even after knowing the camera was there to not realize he would be recorded.

We can do better in law enforcement.

Fortunately I don't have to make any decisions based on what the chief's motive was for doing this but it does serve to remind me that there are many white people who are completely clueless when it comes to understanding the history of racial oppression in the United States and why you just don't do things such as this, even as an alleged "joke", because it's not funny.

What is moire worrisome is that since this guy was a police officer for 30 years and the chief for the last 8, has he done things like this before and to the detriment of other black people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-police-chief-out-after-leaving-ku-klux-klan-note-n1273049
Surveillance video from the Sheffield Lake Police Department in Ohio shows the longtime chief printing a note reading “Ku Klux Klan” and placing it on a Black officer's raincoat, according to the city's mayor.​
Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a Ku Klux Klan sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.
Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a "Ku Klux Klan" sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.WKYC​
Sheffield Lake Mayor Dennis Bring said he was made aware of the incident, which occurred last week, by the police union. Chief Anthony Campo was immediately placed on administrative leave pending a review of the video, Bring told NBC affiliate WKYC of Cleveland.​
"I said, 'I don't want to even hear about it," Bring said, describing his conversation with Campo. "I said, 'You've already have admitted to it.' And I said, 'You've got 10 minutes to get out of this office.' I said, 'I want your keys, badge and that’s it. Get out.' "​
Bring said he also met with the officer following the incident to apologize for Campo’s actions.​
"It took us 10 minutes to even talk to each other because we were both very emotional," he said. "And I apologized to him. We talked about the situation and he told me a little bit more. I was just flabbergasted. There's no one word to explain how disgusting this is."​
The footage, which was obtained by the news station, captured Campo standing at the department’s copier and placing the klan printout on the coat. The KKK was a secretive society organized in the South after the Civil War to assert white supremacy, often using violence.​
Campo told WKYC in a phone interview that he retired shortly after being placed on leave. He added that what was meant to be part of an off-color joke is being “overblown” and he has great respect for the officer, whom he hired, according to the news station.​
NBC News' efforts to reach Campo and the police union on Saturday were unsuccessful.​
Officials in Sheffield Lake, a city about 25 miles west of Cleveland, have not released the name of the officer involved. According to Bring, the officer is declining to speak and has retained a lawyer for possible action.​
Campo spent three decades on the police force and became chief eight years ago.​
But, there is no racism according to those in the GOP....

Here is the thing. He had to know it was being recorded. He had to know there was a camera.

Maybe it was simply a poor attempt at a joke but he is too stupid, even after knowing the camera was there to not realize he would be recorded.

We can do better in law enforcement.
Interesting thought. I wonder if he brought that up.

He of all people should know about cameras.

Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a Ku Klux Klan sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.

Your link doesnt work for me.

Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a Ku Klux Klan sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.

Your link doesnt work for me.

There are two links in the article, the other one works. Look right under the photo it says "bring told NBC affiliate...."

If the guy didn't want to be in the picture anymore, why didn't he just quit? The way that he went about this issue may only make it harder for him to get a new job.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a Ku Klux Klan sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.
Who says that?

Police Chief Anthony Campo placed a Ku Klux Klan sign on a black officer's raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.'s raincoat in Sheffield Lake, Ohio.
Who says that?
The left. They bring it up HOURLY.
Of course there's racism. Always has been, always will be.

I am waiting on the Trump Humpers to come and defend his actions.
Right here for you, dipshit. When information- and experience-compromised American youth get inculcated with racist-socialist-marxist statements such as ‘black lives matter,’ as their older peers are being eaten by a Chinese communist virus, when did you start thinking no one would come forth to defend Trump? You are way too overconfident: Obama is Arab DNA. There has never been a black POTUS, and Puppet JoeXi knows it.

2021, incredible.
Nothing incredible about it. We have become a nation of people who possess no empathy for our fellow citizens. We are consumed with ME ME ME.
You disregard the opportunism of blm baboonage and the socialist propaganda is designed to get you to join the crowd. You take the bait, because ‘black lives matter’ is a statement that, if it added the word, ‘too’ would also let the cat out of the bag because it would link too closely to the word, ‘all.’ That is your mistake. Enjoy your symptom.

2021, incredible.
Nothing incredible about it. We have become a nation of people who possess no empathy for our fellow citizens. We are consumed with ME ME ME.
You disregard the opportunism of blm baboonage and the socialist propaganda is designed to get you to join the crowd. You take the bait, because ‘black lives matter’ is a statement that, if it added the word, ‘too’ would also let the cat out of the bag because it would link too closely to the word, ‘all.’ That is your mistake. Enjoy your symptom.
I promised to be civil for today's holiday. You get a free pass.....enjoy it

Stupid man, if for no other reason, fire him for that.

After reading this article, the chief may have not meant it to be the way it appears.

BUT, he should have known better to not even attempt something like this.

If, IF, it can be shown that he was truly joking (although obviously clueless about how seriously this could be interepreted by the black officer) Then my verdict is as follows:

Force a permanent resignation without loss of pension and benefits.

If he truly is a racist and truly was trying to intimidate the officer, then a much harsher penalty needs to be rendered.

Forum List

Back