Oh yes... it is time.... for.... SOUP!!!

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
It's what makes the dark, gray, dreary days of winter not just livable... but something to look forward to.

Yesterday made a nice big pot of some cajun soup I decided to make after getting some cajun sausage links from the butcher.
Started with the trilogy of carrots, onion and celery. Added in some mixed beans, pasta and broth.
Put in a little cream at the end with some grated parmesan on top.
An lit us a fire in the fireplace.
Yeah... this is good stuff.

I make a crockpot stew.

Taters, onions, mushrooms, carrots, spinach or kale, and squash.
I don't put meat in it very often, but sometimes I do turkey and sometimes I do beef cubes.
Sometimes I get those premade italian meatballs and put in there (the precooked ones).

Put all of that in a large pot, then pour a mixture of (2) cream of mushroom soup, chicken boullion, spices and herbs. Let that cook on slow for a while.

I have a large restaurant grade food bucket I use to dump this into and put in the fridge. I eat on it all week.

I LOOOVE Minestrone soup, but I don't like the canned stuff very much, and I attempted making it once from scratch.........which turned out awful, had to throw it all out.

Butternut soup. Carrots onions celery butternut squash 1 peeled and cored apple, a bit of garlic, rosemary. When all is cooked, puree it with a hand blender. For fancy, company a handful of dried cranberries.

Oh dear........you are pushing ALL the right buttons!!!!

homer.jpg

My son's favorite. Split pea soup.

Split peas, onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, garlic, goodly amount, one small peeled potato. It might have to simmer for an hour. Hand blender it, add ham cubes and diced bacon browned a bit. Not too much. Bacon grease takes it to heaven.

Smoked Hocks & Bean Soup

Put the ham hocks in the crockpot & cover with water, either first thing in the morning or better yet the night before. Add Great Northern or Navy beans, or whatever you have or prefer into the pot early enough to cook them down. Some should break down to thicken the broth and some still in form. No other seasoning needed because of the hocks to flavor it.

You can take out the hocks and pull off the bones & fat and add the meat back to the pot just before serving. This with homemade cornbread with butter sure takes the winter chill away.

Beef Barley Soup is another good one.

Brown up some beef chunks in a dab of oil or fat, add some minced garlic & onion to soften, add it all to the crockpot, cover with water or broth and let cook several hours. Then add in some carrots and barley and maybe a bit of bullion and cook another couple hours or the barley is plumped & tender.

It's what makes the dark, gray, dreary days of winter not just livable... but something to look forward to.

Yesterday made a nice big pot of some cajun soup I decided to make after getting some cajun sausage links from the butcher.
Started with the trilogy of carrots, onion and celery. Added in some mixed beans, pasta and broth.
Put in a little cream at the end with some grated parmesan on top.
An lit us a fire in the fireplace.
Yeah... this is good stuff.

Homemade hot and sour soup, recently. Based on chicken and beef broth, vinegar and soy sauce; tofu strips, green pepper slices, mushrooms (whole), beef and chicken (shaved thin slices), water chestnuts.

Frogmore Stew, also recently. Shrimp broth and tomato paste; steamed shrimp, smoked sausage, potatoes, onions, carrots, corn on cob quarters, clams, scallops.

Ham and lima bean soup, soon again. Ham hock, bacon grease; small golden potatoes, lima beans, onions, celery, boiled egg whites (sliced), ground sausage, radishes.

Butternut soup. Carrots onions celery butternut squash 1 peeled and cored apple, a bit of garlic, rosemary. When all is cooked, puree it with a hand blender. For fancy, company a handful of dried cranberries.
Close to mine, except I add a carrot and use paprika. I also add a little cream at the end.

Smoked Hocks & Bean Soup

Put the ham hocks in the crockpot & cover with water, either first thing in the morning or better yet the night before. Add Great Northern or Navy beans, or whatever you have or prefer into the pot early enough to cook them down. Some should break down to thicken the broth and some still in form. No other seasoning needed because of the hocks to flavor it.

You can take out the hocks and pull off the bones & fat and add the meat back to the pot just before serving. This with homemade cornbread with butter sure takes the winter chill away.

Beef Barley Soup is another good one.

Brown up some beef chunks in a dab of oil or fat, add some minced garlic & onion to soften, add it all to the crockpot, cover with water or broth and let cook several hours. Then add in some carrots and barley and maybe a bit of bullion and cook another couple hours or the barley is plumped & tender.
Loove Beef Barley soup

Loove Beef Barley soup

Me too, It's good stuff and can add whatever other veggies you please.

Chowder is another good cold weather comfort soup. Potato, Corn, Clam or Seafood chowder.

My favorite clam chowder starts with bacon, onions & garlic, add in some diced carrots & potatoes and clam juice. Simmer for a bit, then add in milk and simmer some more. Should start thickening up from the starch in the potatoes, if not you can add a bit of milk with some flour mixed smooth, then pour it in. Not too much or it'll glop together....just enough to thicken a little. Then add clams and cook about 5 more minutes. Can use some Old Bay or other seafood seasoning

Forum List

Back