How do you plan on cooking your Turkey this year?

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I was torn between deep frying and smoking.
I finally decided on smoking it this year,while I love deep fried Turkey there's the mess to contend with and to be honest I love em both ways.

Got a 15 lb fresh bird which I'll separate at the breast from the dark meat by cutting it at the thin point below the breast at the rear of the bird.
You end up with a full breast and all the dark meat in two pieces. This of course lets you cook the white meat to perfection without drying it since you can pull it at 155 to 160 while cooking the dark meat to 175 so everything comes out perfect.
Of course I'm going to brine it overnight,rinse it and let it sit in the fridge overnight without anything covering it to dry the skin so it crisps better.
Then I'll inject melted butter under the skin and rub butter on the outside once it gets to cooking which again will help it brown.
Oh...going to use Oak and Pecan for the wood.

So what're you doing to your bird this year?

Plain old baked in the oven. And just a large breast. We used to cook a big honking turkey every year, but it was so much trouble to deal with the leftovers.

I plan on killing or maiming as few people as possible with my cooking. I usually open the oven door and cram it in there, while averting my eyes to the whole miserable mess.

Plain old baked in the oven. And just a large breast. We used to cook a big honking turkey every year, but it was so much trouble to deal with the leftovers.

Hell,were cooking a 15 pounder for just the Wife and I,and of course the Dogs will get a few bites.
We strip off the leftover meat and seal it in vacc bags for Turkey pot pies later. We then take the carcass which we leave some meat on and make Turkey/vegetable stock with it to go into the Turkey pot pies.

I've heard that the only really woke way to celebrate indigenous people day is to get a fryer filled with peanut oil as hot as is it can get and then drop a big turkey in it directly from a freezer that kept it well below zero.

I've heard that the results are amazing.

Hell,were cooking a 15 pounder for just the Wife and I,and of course the Dogs will get a few bites.
We strip off the leftover meat and seal it in vacc bags for Turkey pot pies later. We then take the carcass which we leave some meat on and make Turkey/vegetable stock with it to go into the Turkey pot pies.

We used to do all that. But after Thanksgiving, turkey is the last thing I want. :auiqs.jpg:

I finally decided on smoking it this year,while I love deep fried Turkey there's the mess to contend with and to be honest I love em both ways.

Got a 15 lb fresh bird which I'll separate at the breast from the dark meat by cutting it at the thin point below the breast at the rear of the bird.
You end up with a full breast and all the dark meat in two pieces. This of course lets you cook the white meat to perfection without drying it since you can pull it at 155 to 160 while cooking the dark meat to 175 so everything comes out perfect.
Of course I'm going to brine it overnight,rinse it and let it sit in the fridge overnight without anything covering it to dry the skin so it crisps better.
Then I'll inject melted butter under the skin and rub butter on the outside once it gets to cooking which again will help it brown.

Sounds good! We will be stuffing and baking in the oven. I use butter on the skin as well to promote juice until it starts to flow. Then I just baste it in it's own juices for the duration. I always get a nice golden crisp skin on the breast and drumsticks.

Sounds good! We will be stuffing and baking in the oven. I use butter on the skin as well to promote juice until it starts to flow. Then I just baste it in it's own juices for the duration. I always get a nice golden crisp skin on the breast and drumsticks.

The Wife always makes homemade cornbread stuffing.
It's funny,as a kid my Mom who was from Canada always made white bread stuffing and I couldnt stand cornbread stuffing.
Now it's just the opposite.
White bread stuffing is like eating elmer's glue to me now.

The Wife always makes homemade cornbread stuffing.
It's funny,as a kid my Mom who was from Canada always made white bread stuffing and I couldnt stand cornbread stuffing.
Now it's just the opposite.
White bread stuffing is like eating elmer's glue to me now.
Cornbread is good eating.

Dont know where you live but is it cornbread stuffing or white bread stuffing?
It’s a pretty mixed bag here I would say. I know corn bread has the image of being more of a southern thing, but I think such culinary variations have a hit the melting pot if you will. As for me, I don’t do stuffing so much anymore.

:disbelief: :disbelief: :disbelief:

Did you just say you go both ways?

Most years for over 5 decades, I've booked for Thanksgiving and Chritmas. This year I've entrusted the whole thing to the Chefs at Safeway. I'll let you know later how that worked out.

Forum List

Back