Oh, The Idiots They Turn Out

The public school system needs a forceful intervention.

Poll: Majority can’t name a single Supreme Court justice

I see that you're getting a good bit of heat for this and I'm glad for it. And as public school teacher I'll tell you why.

If you are 30 years old, say, and do not know a single Supreme Court Justice that is no longer the fault of the public school system. That is now the fault of your own ignorance.

Indeed, but the kids don't know them either, and that IS the fault of the system.

But that you and so many like you continue to fault our education system is only burying us deeper and deeper. It is building a continued narrative that we are deeply incompetent, which is not true.

Results tell. You are judged by the product produced. When nearly half of entering students at two-year schools and a fifth at four-year schools require remedial classes in basic English and math, the problem is with the system. American students' abysmal lack of knowledge of their own history and the function of our system of government places us all in danger.

The truth is our society is corroding from the inside out. We are being asked to basically raise children on less and less--including less trust, less money, less respect. No human can do this. No well-equipped human would WANT to. So teachers are bailing. And it's now like the Titanic sinking, the public school system.

All part of the problem, of course.

Have you ever studied for a test for hours upon hours, taken the test, and a half hour after the exam you couldn't even spell your own name correctly? That is what many students do today. They are like human flash drives. Once you use the information and don't need it anymore, you simply delete it.

I called it "pump and dump". Kids will learn the material for the test, i.e. memorizing the names of the SCOTUS justices, and do exceptionally well on the unit test, but give them a final exam a month later and you might as well have asked them to recite the Gettysburg address without them ever having read it in years.

Even some of my best students would do this and fail their final exams. There is literally no way to retrain their minds to actually store what they consider to be useless information. Yes, it might win them some money on Jeopardy, but it won't get them a date with the hot cheerleader after the game Friday night.

That's why frequent review is so important.

I see that you're getting a good bit of heat for this and I'm glad for it. And as public school teacher I'll tell you why.

If you are 30 years old, say, and do not know a single Supreme Court Justice that is no longer the fault of the public school system. That is now the fault of your own ignorance.

Indeed, but the kids don't know them either, and that IS the fault of the system.

But that you and so many like you continue to fault our education system is only burying us deeper and deeper. It is building a continued narrative that we are deeply incompetent, which is not true.

Results tell. You are judged by the product produced. When nearly half of entering students at two-year schools and a fifth at four-year schools require remedial classes in basic English and math, the problem is with the system. American students' abysmal lack of knowledge of their own history and the function of our system of government places us all in danger.

The truth is our society is corroding from the inside out. We are being asked to basically raise children on less and less--including less trust, less money, less respect. No human can do this. No well-equipped human would WANT to. So teachers are bailing. And it's now like the Titanic sinking, the public school system.

Have you ever studied for a test for hours upon hours, taken the test, and a half hour after the exam you couldn't even spell your own name correctly?

Never.

That is what many students do today. They are like human flash drives. Once you use the information and don't need it anymore, you simply delete it.

I called it "pump and dump". Kids will learn the material for the test, i.e. memorizing the names of the SCOTUS justices, and do exceptionally well on the unit test, but give them a final exam a month later and you might as well have asked them to recite the Gettysburg address without them ever having read it in years.

Even some of my best students would do this and fail their final exams. There is literally no way to retrain their minds to actually store what they consider to be useless information. Yes, it might win them some money on Jeopardy, but it won't get them a date with the hot cheerleader after the game Friday night.

Then one can say with confidence that they have been ill-trained, and the results are becoming increasingly obvious.

All that does is prove you don't know anything about education. No big surprise to anyone who has read your tripe.

If you think it is so easy, why aren't you a teacher?

Can't you handle all of the great pay, wonderful benefits, and summers off?

I have been a teacher, though in a different venue. My wife was in the system. and quit to homeschool the boy.

I pray your wife is smarter than you.

If you think it is so easy, why aren't you a teacher?

Can't you handle all of the great pay, wonderful benefits, and summers off?

I have been a teacher, though in a different venue. My wife was in the system. and quit to homeschool the boy.

I pray your wife is smarter than you.

I have more degrees than she does, but she is by far the smarter of the two.

She'll probably see this. :71:

giphy.gif

Of all the bed wetters, I figured at least YOU would find it troubling that we have so many people as utterly clueless about those who govern them.

The rest of the moonbats glorify and celebrate utter ignorance. Normally you're not that far off the rails.

What I find quite troubling is the fact that someone would accuse another of being utterly clueless, when they make such an asinine claim as suggesting that the SCOTUS governs anything bigger than their own schedule. They are part of government to be sure, however their role is to rule on the constitutionality of what the rest of the government does. The moment they started "legislating from the bench", they started to delegitimize themselves, and bastardise their role. This is a "mistake" that any high school civics 101 "graduate" should be ashamed to make. Heck, I knew this well by the time I was done with 5th grade.

That said, yes it is deeply troubling that our society is so out of touch with those who are at the top of our government. However, in the "information age" the details, such as who sits on the bench, have been relegated to unnecessary to retain in instant recall memory. Nearly everyone carries with them access to the sum total of every known fact in human history. It's called a "smart phone". By the time someone names all nine from memory, I could have the names and brief biography of the entire court, as well as their complete record. So, why would it matter if I could name even one? Would it not be far more important for me to understand how the court works and why? Of course, I doubt the education system is doing much better in teaching that either... But, there is hope. "This translates to over 40,000 search queries that Google processes every second on average, over 3.5 billion searches per day, and 1.2 trillion searches per year worldwide as listed by Internet Live Stats." how many google searches per day 2018 - Google Search
I doubt they are all about what the Kardashians are up to today...

Forum List

Back