Off topic and disruptive posts

Persuader

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2020
Far too many off topic posts and there is apparantly not much effort to curb that.

Perhaps even worse are 'disruptive' posts designed to stop a discussion or to getr it moved to the basemenr.

Not even to menrion all the vulgar posts....kinda like children when away from their parents try to talk like them.

flopping fish.gif

Perhaps even worse are 'disruptive' posts designed to stop a discussion or to getr it moved to the basement.

^^^ I've always thought this part to be the biggest problem on this board. ^^^

It's always the same group, too.

But whatever. If you're looking for fruitful discussion you have to weigh your options and choose selectively, to be honest.

The web is a big place.

Far too many off topic posts and there is apparantly not much effort to curb that.

Perhaps even worse are 'disruptive' posts designed to stop a discussion or to getr it moved to the basemenr.

Not even to menrion all the vulgar posts....kinda like children when away from their parents try to talk like them.
Off-topic, to an extent depends on handling of the OP and possible Mods on the board at the time. One man's vulgarity is another man's prime-time television or President.

The mods walk a fine line as far as off-topic and disruptive posts are concerned. Some want the topic strictly followed. Others see the logic in the flow of the conversation.

Hell, even the people who scream about something being off topic are often guilty of posting off topic.

Freedom of speech is not painless, stop whining, and openly inviting nanny state woke censorship, deal with it, or go elsewhere.... All the best!;)

you'd be surprised what the ignore button can hide.
Not me. I hide average of 8 or 9 at a given time. Often swapping out when somebody gets to be too big a pain in the butt.

The mods walk a fine line as far as off-topic and disruptive posts are concerned. Some want the topic strictly followed. Others see the logic in the flow of the conversation.

Hell, even the people who scream about something being off topic are often guilty of posting off topic.

I've seen some really good discussions get tossed in the basement just because of the actions of low-value posters.

Once they end up in the basement the low-value posters lose interest in the thread and then eventually the thread comes back around and evolves into intelligent, relevant discussion.

Unfortunately it tends to be left in the basement regardless.

As far as mod actions, depending on the topical content that does eventually come back around to being somewhat fruitful after the low-value posters went through with their wrecking balls, I think there is the very legitimate possibility that a stray mod might likely be content that these people do that and may be more than eager to dump it into the basement and out of sight of the casual passer-by.

Anyway. As I said, the web is a big place. If people want fruitful discussion, it's out there.

Last time I got bored with the Mickey Mouse shenigans on here I joined another board but didn't hang around it long. It was pretty much a whole board full of Trump humpers who just wanted an echo chamber. Same old cable news entertainment talking points rather than critical policy discussion and whatnot. And a lot of em still posted on here anyway.

Some people whine simply because you've asked them a question pertaining to their own thread they just didn't want or expect to have to answer! Like an OP with erroneous data.

Some people hide behind clean debates telling your your question is not germane even though it directly points to the topic.

Other people never give you an honest, cogent answer no matter how many times or ways you ask them! Isn't that a rule violation?

You can't have quality discussion w/o quality people just as you can't have discussion at all with people utterly unwilling to actually discuss. All they do is troll and attack, throw names, put downs for no reason other than shutting down the conversation. They can't even explain why they make the rash accusations that they do.

I'm all for freely saying most anything, so long as you are willing to back it up with honest evidence and facts and not just anti-Trump putdowns and nonsense rhetoric that insults the reader.

"Off-topic" is a moving target. Some posters consider anything that doesn't agree with their brilliance to be "off-topic". I am personally a big fan of tangents. Without tangents, most threads I read would be, oh okay, moving on.

Strategy. Always say something pertaining to topic in 5 words

And let it rip

That doesn't deal with the problem. He's right. COMMENTERS often DICTATE whether a thread stays in current events or gets buried-- and those are the "fair" mods without an agenda to do that with a perfectly fine thread simply because they get their laughs playing childish games.
Well we have a bunch of libturd professional Hall Monitors slithering around looking and picking for shit

Cons are not like that

I am pretty vulguar. but I try and make it poetic and well placed. When people have complimented me on it, what am I to do???

If people would try and put more humor in posts things would slide

This place can use way more humor instead of China Doll faces cracking

Forum List

Back