Occam's Razor says: Aliens!

Fort Fun Indiana

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
A Harvard professor has just released his book about Oumouamoua. He declares scientists are bending over backwards to avoid the simplest idea: It was an alien spacecraft.

"Sound kooky? Avi Loeb says the evidence holds otherwise, and is convinced his peers in the scientific community are so consumed by groupthink they're unwilling to wield Occam's razor."

Occam's Razor? By what stretch of the imagination is an alien craft from another star system a simpler idea than a rock? What is the craft made of? How does it go? If they could navigate to another star system, why did they have to follow a virtually ballistic path through ours? Why not stay longer? What are their lifespans, and how long did it take to get here? Why no detection of any electromagnetic signals from the craft? Why such an elongated shape that would lend itself to destruction and deformation under strong forces?

If the craft loses mass to accelerate, how massive was it originally? If it loses that much mass for a small acceleration (basically, passive "thrust", the way you would move on a skateboard after throwing a ball), how in the hell did it ever make the trip before running out of mass?

I am sure we could come up with 1000 more unanswered questions that arise.

Occam's Razor, indeed. A cheap trick to sell books, is what it is.

Last edited:
The words science and Harvard in the same breath is wrong. I apologize in advance.
Went there, did ya? :rolleyes:

Well, you seem to be able somehow function in this world, so aliens surely have a shot at it.
Apparently, at a higher level than you. One of us can have a normal conversation without his embarrassing political cultism handicapping him at all times. The other cannot. I will let the reader decide for themselves which is which.

The words science and Harvard in the same breath is wrong. I apologize in advance.
Went there, did ya? :rolleyes:

Well, you seem to be able somehow function in this world, so aliens surely have a shot at it.
Apparently, at a higher level than you. One of us can have a normal conversation without his embarrassing political cultism handicapping him at all times. The other cannot. I will let the reader decide for themselves which is which.

Us higher functioning posters are laughing at you.

Everyone that watches the History Channel knows that aliens have traveled to earth.

How close of a shave can I get with one of those Occam Razors. Are they expensive?

Avi Loeb is an opportunist who decided to tap into the gullibility of people in the age of Trump. Donald dumbed down the masses, others are swooping in like vultures to clean up the carcass.

Avi Loeb is an opportunist who decided to tap into the gullibility of people in the age of Trump. Donald dumbed down the masses, others are swooping in like vultures to clean up the carcass.

Begone you sad sack of silliness.

The Aliens are real! We'd just better hope they are not Kanamits.

Kanamits are 9 feet tall, sport a ginormous brain and eat people. That IS concerning! :lol:

you-must-be-35735f5122.jpg

Kanamits are 9 feet tall, sport a ginormous brain and eat people. That IS concerning! :lol:

you-must-be-35735f5122.jpg

Indeed. "To Serve Man" is a cookbook!

It's hilarious that people who refuse to believe in God for lack of proof think we should believe in aliens.

It's hilarious that people who refuse to believe in God for lack of proof think we should believe in aliens.
The correct (and most common) statement is say think alien life is possible, maybe even likely, given the theoretical evidence. But it is also possible there is no life elsewhere.

Do you acknowledge the possibility that there are no gods?

The correct (and most common) statement is say think alien life is possible, maybe even likely, given the theoretical evidence. But it is also possible there is no life elsewhere.

Do you acknowledge the possibility that there are no gods?
If you can explain how the universe was caused without something causing it, I promise to listen.

If you can explain how the universe was caused without something causing it, I promise to listen.
The universe has always been.

Or, something can come from nothing.

Or, there has always been something, and the universe came from it.

Three explanations.

Just be honest: you wont listen. You will NEVER consider the possibility gods do not exist. So -- which is the point i was getting to -- it is you who is most guilty of that of which you accuse others.

And hey...that's faith for you. Belief without evidence. Knock yourself out. Believe what you like.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
The universe has always been.

Or, something can come from nothing.

Or, there has always been something, and the universe came from it.

Three explanations.

Just be honest: you wont listen. You will NEVER consider the possibility gods do not exist. So -- which is the point i was getting to -- it is you who is most guilty of that of which you accuse others.

And hey...that's faith for you. Belief without evidence. Knock yourself out. Believe what you like.
The universe has not always existed according to the Big Bang Theory. Scientists believe the universe had a beginning and it will have an end.

It is impossible for something to come from nothing. That's a scientific law and plain common sense.

There is no way to prove something was here before the universe existed. If you're going to believe that, you might as well believe in God.

The final portion of your argument was an ad hominum attack on me because I believe in God. If you want me to listen respectfully to you, you have to be respectful to me.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
The universe has not always existed according to the Big Bang Theory.
False. The Big Bang theory only describes a period of rapid inflation from a dense, early state of the universe, before which we cannot know what happened by direct observation. So 100% incorrect, on your part.

It is impossible for something to come from nothing.
And i say it isnt. If we are assuming your gut feelings are absolute truths from the start, then you lied about being willing to listen or discuss. We might as well go all the way dishonest and assume your gut feelings about gods are also true, rendering discussion pointless.

The final portion of your argument was an ad hominum attack on me because I believe in God
False. I didn't insult you or base any part of my counterargument on your value or lack of value or on any insults. I don't think you actually know what the term "ad hominem" means.

False. The Big Bang theory only describes a period of rapid inflation from a dense, early state of the universe, before which we cannot know what happened by direct observation. So 100% incorrect, on your part.

And i say it isnt. If we are assuming your gut feelings are absolute truths from the start, then you lied about being willing to listen or discuss. We might as well go all the way dishonest and assume your gut feelings about gods are also true, rendering discussion pointless.

The final portion of your argument was an ad hominum attack on me because I believe in God
False. I didn't insult you or base any part of my counterargument on your value or lack of value or on any insults. I don't think you actually know what the term "ad hominem" means.
Please explain how it is possible for something to come out of nothing.

Please explain how it is possible for something to come out of nothing.
Please explain how it is impossible for the universe always to have been. Your Big Bang take was offbase.

Forum List

Back