Obama's ATF to ban popular rifle ammunition

The SS109/M855 round is an armor piercing round. Armor piercing rounds have been banned since the Johnson Administration.

If you read the ATF determination, the 5.56 SS109/M855 armor piercing rounds were given an exemption to the ban on armor piercing rounds in 1986, before the AR-type rifles and handguns were commercially available.

Exemptions were allowed "if the Attorney General determined that the specific ammunition at issue is 'primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes.'”

Since the AR-type rifles and handguns subsequently have become commercially available, the grounds for exempting the SS109/M855 rounds are no longer valid.

Uh...AR-type rifles were commercially available long before 1986. How old are you?

The issue that they are taking advantage of is that now there are actually HANDGUNS commercially available that are chambered for 5.56/.223. So it fits the political agenda of this administration to use that fact to twist the intent of the law to ban a popular rifle round, despite the fact that there is no evidence that those few handguns have been used in any sort of crime, let alone to shoot body-armor-clad police officers, not to mention that fact that ANY .223/5.56 round (and most center-fire rifle rounds in general) will penetrate the soft-armor typically worn by street cops.
First, don't mistake me as being in favor of this ban. I'm not. I am simply stating the ATF's argument. And as I acknowledged a moment ago, it is correct that the handgun is the issue, and it is also a fact the handgun was not commercially available in 1986.

The rifle was available. I misspoke about that.

However, the ATF is using the handgun as the excuse to ban the ammo. And the handgun was not commercially available in 1986.
I'm glad to know you consider the ban a bad idea.

The SS109/M855 round is an armor piercing round. Armor piercing rounds have been banned since the Johnson Administration.

If you read the ATF determination, the 5.56 SS109/M855 armor piercing rounds were given an exemption to the ban on armor piercing rounds in 1986, before the AR-type rifles and handguns were commercially available.

Exemptions were allowed "if the Attorney General determined that the specific ammunition at issue is 'primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes.'”

Since the AR-type rifles and handguns subsequently have become commercially available, the grounds for exempting the SS109/M855 rounds are no longer valid.

in 1986, before the AR-type rifles and handguns were commercially available.

where the hell do you get this stuff

simple search would show you that you are incorrect

the first commercial sale was in 1950s

and that is for the ar-15s

"ar" rifles such as the ar-10 came along before that

Forum List

Back